What's It Called?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Pogo

Re: What's It Called?

Post by Pogo »

Perhaps worth considering? (Copied directly from the Amcrest ASH47 product page.)

Note: When in use on an NVR the device can only be used for live view and recording
purposes. Any settings or other adjustments to the smart home device must be made
through the Amcrest Smart Home app. Do not attempt to adjust settings for the device in the
NVR.

The device you are connecting to the NVR must be set up first using the Amcrest Smart Home
app so it can be detected on the network. All device features, such as spotlights, sirens, or any
other device-specific features will only be controlled using the Amcrest Smart Home app.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So here is the items that I talked with you about. I did from the lowest to the best and with the best. Just keep in mind that if you were only looking to keep 8ch and if cost difference was small the best option is the last. However if wanting to buy 2 and save money doing so then the first option even at the highest channel count can get you there just lacks max IVS rules. Think only 1, Some of this data will require you to look up the manual or look at the Specs as I can't remember if Specs really shows info about Channel number for IVS again 7108 will have best 8mp FPS were the 5108 and 5116 has 1/2 the FPS but option for 2times the channels. I know I talk Cryptic as you said lol. Just is me trying to not push 1 thing over another I want the End User to have full say there..

This one from cheap 8ch to most costly 16ch with 4tb HDD insstalled.. 5mp and 7fps max
https://amcrest.com/4k-8ch-video-securi ... -h5-1.html
This one is the 5108 cheap is no HDD with costly with 4tb, 8mp and 7fps Max
https://amcrest.com/4k-8ch-analog-ai-dv ... 08-i3.html
This is the 5116 and is like the 08 just 2 times the channels, 8mp-7fps Max
https://amcrest.com/4k-16ch-video-secur ... 16-ai.html

This is a No HDD 7108-AI DVR the one I own in the Amcrest AI family of DVR's To be honest If I knew then what I know now I would have bought the 5116 AI DVR. However this 71xx series is very fast and works well. 8mp 15fps max what I didn't know at the time was lower cameras 5mp 20fps and 30fps for lower just like 51xx series and I would have bought the 5116-AI if I could have done it over..
https://amcrest.com/4k-8ch-analog-dvr-amdv7108-ai.html

Don't get me wrong I like the 7108 DVR. When I bought it however I was replacing a 16ch DVR so would have been better with a 16ch replacement 71xx only offers 8ch model.
Be Safe.
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

Allot of food for processing, so I'm going to break this down (maybe). Bsides the wires (BNC and CAT 5 or 6) does the NVR have over the DVR?
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

Never mind, I found an story about it and said that NVR have a hugh advantage or maybe a little bit more advantage or DVR's. DVR's still are not out of the question, I just wanted to know. So on a NVR the camera does all the processing and then goes to the NVR for the recording as where the DVR's gets the signal from the camera and the the DVR does all the processing. Am I correct on this?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Again for your setup with cameras in place it would best to use A DVR.. Please understand that people back 2 to 4 years ago started bashing DVR's because they were the thing of the past and wanted to get users to buy a NVR. Most times it was said that DVR would never go past 4mp and if you wanted something higher MP buy a NVR. Well DVR and NVR both can have 8mp and in some brands even larger..
Lets look at it like this.
My 4216E-AI NVR bought it same month as my 7108-AI DVR. The DVR was almost 300 without a HDD. The 16ch POE NVR was almost 500 without a HDD. Then on top of the NVR one would have to buy new cameras if they were already with Analog cameras. So this can range from 55 to 500 a camera and more depending on the type of camera used.

Then with the DVR cameras are already in use and installed. Pay the almost 300USD and cost of a HDD. Unplug and plug in the cameras already installed. Setup motion grid and setup IVS rules to the cameras you already have installed. One of the best things on the DVR.. When you get it and setup to record and the desired resolution of the camera being used. you setup to H.265 it works at that format and there is no worry about the camera supporting that format. I mean I have a 2011 PTZ that is setup on my DVR in h.265 and I am sorry there is no PTZ IP camera from 2011 that one could connect to my 4216E-AI NVR that would work in H.265 format. Then best to this as well. Most cameras that I have connected to the DVR as long as it is within AHD, CVI, TVI and or CVBS I can connect to the DVR. I will admit I do have some Amcrest cameras not to happy with it lol But they work on my older Format DVR so at times there are some issues with a camera that might need a FW update for it to work right even with like brand pairing..

Please I beg you and others that read this. NVR's are NOT Better then DVR's by any stretch of the mind. Anyone that floats this idea has something to gain. Capital. Cash. Lost of it from buying the NVR it self and then having to buy all the cameras to feed it.

1 last thing that I want to talk about when it comes to the DVR/NVR debate. If lets say you had 16ch NVR and 16ch DVR and wanted to Reset back to factory because of something not working right or maybe a update that was done and is required to do a factory reset. DVR it is one and done. Sure have to setup cameras Motion Grid and or IVS AI rules for each channels but when it comes to IP cameras and an NVR you have to reset the NVR, Problem is and here is what NO ONE THAT IS IN THE MARKET OF SETTING DVR/NVR's WILL TELL YOU IS you need to also Reset all the Cameras because the cameras if added back to the NVR will cause what ever issue was going on to come back once the camera was added back. This might be something not easy to find right away if cameras were added back in by Batch add .. Also if not using POE camera connected to a POE NVR there are extra risk of having each IP camera connected to your normal network where it would have access from internet. NVR and 16 cameras or more means that many IP addresses someone passing by could try to hack.. NVR there is only 1 IP that covers all connected cameras on that recorder..

Anyone pushing a NVR is better then a DVR is only in it for Money. Yes I even have AI Analog cameras Some from yester year and some as new as 2020.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

One more reason I like DVR over NVR.. In an NVR aka IP camera you have your Main channel format lets say 4mp this can from time to time change lower in main however when you setup your event to send you pictures or store pictures on event there is 1 size you can have.. In the DVR that isn't the case.. In the snap show lets say you wanted to setup full time one. It could be 960h format of 960x480 and in the event one it could setup as normal D1 that is 704x480 and in some cases 640x480 either way in a IP camera setup it is the Max sized picture for the camera is what the picture would be and there is no option to down size or make smaller if you wanted to save space on your NVR.. Most times the NVR will be filled with pictures because they come setup to full time record JPG rather then someone setting to a time better then 1 every second. So the HDD fill faster then the end user expects because the size of the image right way.. Again DVR needs to be setup for a schedule time as well or on IVS or EVRNT but Full time shouldn't be used to save space unless you have a multi drive like my 4216E-AI does and I record images to a different drive with sub full time recording IVS on a HDD on its own so I can Format the one that fills faster and still have recorded data.. hard to explain lol but it works for me lol..

So DVR change pick the size of image wanted to save in JPG NVR is just full size image with no option to change image size..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Just a bit off topic, aren't we? LOL Oh, well..., here's my two cents.

If all of this stuff is even being remotely considered an any type of economic basis regarding value vs. performance flexibility, completely disregarding Blue Iris as a possible central component in a simple upgrade to the existing system is a glaring oversight as an obvious option and logical solution (is there even a problem?).

I'm also a big DVR fan -- and a 2MP ~ 4MP fan for many reasons. More pixels doesn't necessarily mean better anything except more pixels -- and the need for considerably more processing power in any VMS solution, be it DVR, NVR, or software based solution to get the most out of all those wonderful new pixels. That's just a fact, and one that is often overlooked and severely understated in the spec sheets of just about every vendor out there -- including Amcrest. 4K can be great, but not at 7fps and only a couple cameras at a time on a brand new couple hundred dollar NVR. That doesn't work for me. Four 2MP 1080p cameras in the right applications will do 10 times as much any day..., at least IMHO, and with my particular budget. LOL

My setup is very similar to the one described. Multiple hardware devices for different purposes and technologies hanging off the same network ultimately comprising a single system with extreme flexibility. 2- 8 channel analog DVRs capable of also handling 4 additional IP cameras for a total of 12 cameras on each DVR (XVR, if you will). Each DVR can also be configured to use as many as all 12 channels as IP channels if so desired, though is obviously not practical or resource friendly. I also have an 8 channel NV4108 (courtesy of a friend here) for additional IP cameras and or redundancy for backup of certain cameras, etc.

There's a mix of cheap little ZOSI 2MP cameras to Amcrest and Reolink 4K cameras and many more in between. I use Blue Iris as the central point of everything similar to how one may use ASP, but on a much more comprehensive level that is light years beyond the capabilities of other types of vendor specific based software VMS (Video Management Solutions)..., especially the firmware and software interfaces found with basic prosumer products.

Blue Iris itself will handle 64 cameras with only a modest server setup if done properly. My setup sees anywhere between 20 ~ 25 on average depending what I may be experimenting with beyond my basic 20 camera system. It can view and record everything for incredibly simple and flexible retrieval, playback, storage, conversion, export. you name it. And you can individually control any camera on any DVR/NVR or wireless network all in one place with one server and one monitor -- or remotely if so desired. It would be a great fit for the existing system described without any changes required to add multiple 4K devices and doesn't care who the vendor is. It will even run a ASH47!

So..., just keepin' it real vs. this turning into a multi-page Amcrest sales pitch, who btw also promotes Blue Iris when advertising many of its own products.

Now where were we?

Oh yeah..., port 8999. LOL

Sorry. As you were fellas.
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

All I want are trip wires to be placed around my area of 6 acres to keep the damn coyetes away from my cats. Can Blue Iris allow me to setup trip wires even if my cameras can't?
Dan
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Yes. But that's a whole other subject as is the whole AI buzz in general.

Understand that AI, IVS and all the other acronyms associated with it and its dedicated products are not necessary to set up perimeter (or specific area) alerts from motion detection. Trip wires are just a line. A line of pixels will do the same thing -- even a single pixel.

None of it will keep the coyotes away unless it also involves a rifle or shotgun and some pretty good aim..., or a coupla mean-ass dogs. That said, the higher end cameras with sirens and spotlights can be pretty effective, but they obviously need to be in the right places and triggered by the right activity regardless of what's controlling the action. You may be able to get a lot more from your DVR/NVR combination as it is with a little tweaking, but in my experience, most DVRs and NVRs are horrible at setting up zones and motion detection easily and sensibly. Klunky, non-intuitive, pain in the ass to search and view clips or recorded events. Just bad.

Six acres is a lot to cover. I have seven and am only concerned with what my cameras can reliably see around my house and barn/shop -- mostly wildlife related activity also, including coyotes. The rest that I can't see is gonna happen anyway.

FWIW, I use a total of 8 pixels as a trip wire at the entrance of my driveway with Blue Iris. Nothing fancy. No AI. No extra servers. None of that stuff. It works great. Could do the same thing along my back fence and anywhere else needed. More types of motion can trigger an alert than with an actual trip wire but common sense can minimize false alerts with some basic trial and error -- not that trip wires are impervious to false alerts.

Anyway, lots to unpack compared to how this thread started. Re-evaluate your setup. Sounds like you have quite a bit to be creative with as it is.

AI costs money. Real live creative intelligence is usually free if you have even a little of it. LOL
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

Thank you for your words of widsom there Pogo, but you didn't answer my question. If I have Blue Iris running on one of my PC's can I set trip wires up with it to alert me if something is inside of a zone? That's all I needed to know at this point of time.