IP3M-941B ONVIF and User Management

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
nybbles2bytes

IP3M-941B ONVIF and User Management

Postby nybbles2bytes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 am

So I'm playing with camera security for the very first time so this is all new to me although I am a quick study.

Being a Linux guy I've been looking at various camera security software designed for Linux and I came across Shinobi which I'm leaning about now although that's probably not all that relevant to my question.

I noticed that when I use the ONVIF detect in Shinobi on my IP3M-941B with the default user admin it picks up the ONVIF details. However, when I create a new user, give it full permissions and the same group as the default admin user it does not pick up the ONVIF details of my IP3M-941B. Obviously I double and triple checked my user name and password settings.

Is this this by design or am I missing something?

Also, if I can't use ONVIF on a different user to the default, and I do want a user just for the security software, it's good security practice to separate out the main admin user from everything else and limit access to only what's necessary for each user, what is the protocol for for the PTZ? Without the ONVIF setting for PTZ it's asking whether the protocol is GET, PUT, POST, whether it requires a stop command, and all the commands for Up, Down etc. none of which I know the answer.

Revo2Maxx

Re: IP3M-941B ONVIF and User Management

Postby Revo2Maxx » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 am

Welcome to the Forum, I am only going to be able to make a Guess here....

Seeing that it is a 3rd Party Product it could be that as a safe guard it has to be setup with the Admin account. I know that there can be issues with Ip OnVif cameras from all brands when it comes to 3rd party. While your not saying that it can't connect means that it is a compatible OnVif ver. Another thing to note is that at times if your using 3rd party products what works today may not work after the next IP camera FW update or even the 3rd Party product may update and that can at times change the ability to use it.

I know that one of the DVR's that I have has a list of maybe 40 Ip Cameras that is known to work with.. Meaning that if you have one that works only 1/2time or for a min they will be it isn't on the list.... Funny thing is the Parent company cameras are listed not even one of their own lol... My Amcrest camera isn't on that list but I was able to get it to load. However only under ADMIN, a normal user with admin rights won't work and a normal user with normal rights don't work either... So that is where I got my guess it is because it is 3rd party and not their product.
Secure you & your Future be Safe

James

nybbles2bytes

Postby nybbles2bytes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi James and thanks for the reply.

That's not a bad guess but I'm going to have to go with the Amcrest camera treating the admin user differently for a couple of reasons. First, if you are getting a similar result with your DVR and camera then the commonality here is the brand of camera and second I know of no programmer that would make such a limitation, it would be the equivalent of building in a bug and I can't believe your DVR and my software are both built as such.

It could be that the camera runs on a cut down version of LInux, as most devices these days run on LInux, and that the admin user is the Linux root user. It's easy for a programmer to make a mistake and not give a regular user all the permissions of the root user and this happens often enough to be a reasonable possibility.

Anyway, there's not much we can do about it so I'll just work with the knowledge that that's the way it is with Amcrest cameras for now.

jack7

Postby jack7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 pm

You may be able to use Amcrest Web UI on Linux by using Chrome and the Chrome Amcrest Web View extension. I have seen posts where it worked. User names, authorities, and PTZ should work there.

Also see the Amcrest API for controlling Amcrest cameras.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/amcrest-files/ ... 3.2017.pdf

Return to “IP Cameras”