Camera no longer moves up or down

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Kalshion

Camera no longer moves up or down

Post by Kalshion »

After a huge storm here in Vegas (Wind Storm) I've noticed that one of my PTZ camera's will no longer move up and down, it'll go left and right just fine, but not up or down. I've tried reset it, just to see if that helped, nothing. Redoing the settings doesn't work either.

I'm wondering if perhaps the storm damaged something in the camera, or if perhaps there is a setting maybe that got flipped that I'm unaware of that disables the up/down movement?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Camera no longer moves up or down

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So the up and down stepper motor is in the head of the camera if it is a Full PTZ like a 850, 853, 858 and so on. My guess is that either the motor is bad or the Stepper driver circuit is bad. Easiest fix would be a motor however it is hard to know without looking at it.

Are you in the USA? I would be willing to take a look at the camera and repair for the cost of shipping it both ways. If the camera isn't a full size PTZ and is a 841, 941, 1051 and the like then it would be better off just buying a new one.. However I can repair them as well..

If the camera is under Warranty then I would make a Ticket and see if it falls under the exchange. I am not sure how that works to be honest. Most of my devices are all outside of warranty the day I take them off my Front Porch day of delivery. IF your camera is the 1083 or 1068 I am sure I could fix it might take me longer as I have not had any of them apart so I would have to diagnose and source the parts that are defective.
Be Safe.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

US here, and not sure what you mean by 850 and such; the cam I have is an ASH47-W. As for it being under warranty, can't be sure, bought it off amazon in September of last year.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah in that case it is a PT Smart Home camera and while it should still be under warranty I am not sure how it would work from Strom damage. If it wasn't covered by warranty for getting an RMA and replacement. It would fall under the same line of Consumable as the price was under 100 and for me anyway I would replace it with a different model..

850 is the start of the Goliath models that are Large PTZ cameras that have 20, 12, 25x zoom lenses.

Worse case, I could repair your ASH47 if it was not covered for RMA replacement. However because of the Construction type and Because I have not taking mine apart. It wasn't very obvious how to take it apart. Return time would have to be Open. Unlike when I repaired the 2 Goliaths for another member. I have had that type apart many times over the last 5 years so them repairs are not to hard if it is a common fault. One I spent an hour on where the second I spent a short time on because the fault was the same for both of his cameras. With the ASH 47 if it isn't a motor issue then it would take extra time for board level troubleshooting and part sourcing. Seeing where the parts come from it could take much longer then some feel it is worth waiting for. Time is Money..
Be Safe.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

I guess I'll just replace it then with another camera, since the left/right still work I can repurpose it for another part of my property. Do you have any recommendations for cam's to replace this one with?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well kind of hard to say really.. There are so many things that come into play when trying to find a good replacement. One the camera I would buy has a different mounting type and might not be suitable for your current location. The one I would replace it with while it cost little over double what one would pay for the ASH47. To me it is worth it and then some. However if you wouldn't have any use for the 5x zoom and true AI then maybe the price difference is to much. Main issue for my current location of the ASH47 is the replacement has a different mounting and it would drop the camera lower then I would want it at the current location. If your camera is mounted higher then mine and really could use a 5x zoom lens to see better detail I would look at the IP4M-1098EW-AI. At 269.99 what it offers over the ASH47 is well worth it.. First, The camera is a Real IP Camera and not a Smart home camera. (Able to access over WebUI) It not only has tripwire and intrusion, it also offers Face Detection. Besides all that. It is also POE so only need 1 cable to power and stream the data to Recorder or Software like Blue Iris or Amcrests ASP..
https://amcrest.com/4mp-poe-camera-ptz- ... ew-ai.html

I have owned the 1190W, and I didn't like it so returned it less then a week after buying so for me I would stay away from that. I didn't like that the build quality just seemed cheap and when I got the ASH47 as the replacement I was happy to see it was built better.

If the ash 47 works for your needs. I would buy another as replacement if the cost of the 1098 was to much..
Be Safe.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

The cam you listed was actually one of those on my list to purchase at some point; its also not a wireless one which I think is good given in my area of town we've had a growing number of thieves operating with wifi jammers (I've noticed that my wireless camera's are cutting out at least a couple times a week now, which is why I'm on the verge of just replacing them with wired ones due to this new problem. Nothing against Amcrest here, but if thieves are going to use jammers to kill off the camera's then its best to go back to fully wired ones)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Amcrest offers many different IP cameras from Wired to Wifi. Every camera type is able to be disabled in 1 way or another. Jammers are something that has been going around for years. They have 20ish wireless cameras and over 70 POE plus other normal IP cameras so they have many different types. Wifi they offer to cover others that can't use Wired cameras because not all home users are owners that can drill holes in the home for running wired cameras. One of the reasons I started my Own Web Forum is to try and help Secure CCTV. Because there are just way to many people out there that are Exposed in 1 way or another..
Be Safe.