directly connecting to camera over wifi

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
matteo2u

directly connecting to camera over wifi

Post by matteo2u »

Hi guys,

We have a couple IPM-721B's that we are using for baby monitors. If we were to travel, away from our home network, it would be nice to be able to connect directly to the cameras wirelessly by ios device. is this possible or does it require a router?

Thanks for any help!
Matt
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: directly connecting to camera over wifi

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

Sadly to be able to access this over the outside world of your home it would need to be connected to a network that is connected to the Internet.
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

@matteo2u , welcome to the forum. you can install this app, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amcrest ... 78683?mt=8 on your ios device then set up the camera in the app for live view from your home network.

then set up port forwarding on your home router so you can view the camera when you're away from your home network. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXHQqGgZKs&t=

you can view the camera over wifi using the ios app when you're traveling and i hope you're using vpn and not an open unencrypted wifi. or simply use your mobile data plan if you don't have a vpn server or use a vpn service.
matteo2u

Post by matteo2u »

Thanks guys. My issue is not with viewing the camera will away from home. It's with taking the camera away from home and sing it somewhere else while traveling. Is that possible?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Oh... So your looking for more of a Stand alone with a Built in HotSpot for the lack of something better to call it... Sadly these cameras require a Router...

IF your looking for more of a Real Baby monitor then you would want something like this...
https://amcrest.com/amcrest-care-baby-m ... nitor.html

If that don't work for you. You are going to want to find a Camera that has a Built in Wifi Hotspot. This would give you the ability to connect to the camera built in wifi or blutooth. However they would be with limited range.
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

You could try something like this to connect your phone to your camera with wifi.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... 7a9c0027d0
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

what i'm about to share is not for everyone. :geek: i am using an old netgear wndr4300sw, that has been flashed with an opensource openwrt with additional packages like openvpn, travelmate, and adblock, as a travel vpn router so i can setup a wpa2 wireless network when we travel as a family. i would set up the travel vpn router as a wireless bridge client to the hotel's free wifi hotspot for family members to safely connect with their wireless devices. i had looked into the tp-link tl-wr802n but i will not be able to fit openwrt with the packages i need in the limited onboard 4mb flash rom hence i have been using an old netgear home router that has an onboard 128mb flash rom as a travel vpn router. if you really want a small portable travel router, i humbly suggest gl.inet travel routers because they have at least 16mb flash rom for openwrt customization.

it's funny because i have an ip2m-841b (we named it the 'roamer') that we sometimes bring along when we travel and it connects to our travel vpn router so we can check up on things while we're away from our hotel room. :ugeek: