PTZ Interface is inadaquate

Have some questions or having issues with the Amcrest WebUI? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Darkstar

PTZ Interface is inadaquate

Post by Darkstar »

I own a number of IP2M-841B and have updated them with the following firmware
Software Version
V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
WEB Version
ONVIF Version
16.12(V2.4.1.513183)
and I am finding the PTZ setups for presets and tours extremely difficult to use and basically very poorly designed. :( What is needed is a table that shows each preset with an image snapshot along with a table for setting up tours. The tour setup should be shown along with the presets setup table so as to allow one to select the preset based on the preset's image, the order in which to visit the preset positions, and time to pause at each preset location. As it is currently designed one has to guess at a lot of this and do a lot of trial and error approach.

Also this I consider a bug, I want my cameras to be in a constant tour mode but each time the camera is rebooted it does not return to tour mode but instead come up in a preset position and stays there. After a reboot the camera should return to tour mode automatically.
Darkstar

Re: PTZ Interface is inadaquate

Post by Darkstar »

A follow up message, I have acquired a IP2M-858 PTZ camera and the web interface for the PTZ setup is much better than the one that came with the latest firmware for the IP2M-841. The GUI for the IP2M-858 could be further improved if one was allow to take a snapshot at each preset location and include that in the PTZ setup table to show where a preset is pointed at. Why the software is not normalized across all cameras with similar features is beyond my ability to comprehend. (I am a computer scientist with many years of practice so am speaking as a professional) IMHO perhaps the Amcrest software architects need a review course in OOA and OOD practices??
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Congrats on the Pro Quality Camera... It is 95% more Security Camera then the 841 is by all means... I have a few 841's so I am not saying they don't have their own place for the price...

I am going to guess that there are some people in the world that have Patent on some ideas of others... So while it is great idea that everyone have the ability to keep things 1 way sadly others don't feel the same... Talking about Preset Pictures and names...

So that comes down to some of my own issues lol... I have a camera that still today Retailers sale for 1300 to 2200 depending on where you buy it... While it does have the Ability setup Names for my Presets it don't keep a Picture of where the presets are. I am going to guess is because someone owns the Patent to that tech

So while I do have loads of PTZ camera most of them Legacy Products (Old AS HE77) most of them have 256 Preset locations... Come on really how can I remember where that many Presets are lol... So if I am looking to make a Tour, or Pattern, or some other thing that uses Presets. I set them up and make my SET... Right now one camera that the Company says they don't carry or support any more yet Zoro still says they sell it for 850 in stock lol I paid over 1500 for it in 2014. I am not much past 105 in Preset logs... However I make 5 to 8 in a pattern or tour and such after a while I forget what one is what so next time I just move on to others and make my sets... I do have a Home and the first 10 I remember each of the locations and zoom x not by number but buy how much it will be in zoom or out of zoom.. Then I have 6 total pro style PTZ cameras sadly I can't remember all the positions in all. Some are only 128 presets most time I only use first 9 some are locked out from making changes unless I do it in the Camera menu so I don't change something on accident. Some times I am guessing where some presets are... However I use CH2 to make ch4 move to preset 7 and so on after so long without motion it will return home... At times I will make a new preset if I want somthing to ptz on motion from another camera because the preset that I have setup might not be same spot that I want right now...

Anyway back to your 858... That is great camera.. If you have it installed in some areas like I have mine you can add Mask to cover up your Neighbors windows and the cool thing about the Pro style PTZ is the Mask stay where you put it not on screen until you are Pan and Tilt there... However 32x on one of mine and all mask go away or can't be set at that zoom level however at that zoom It would be all blur anyway where I have my masks lol.. 37x on my others don't let me mask any thing at 37x, can make up to 8 mask.
One feature I wish the 841 had.. It has 4 Mask but sadly stays on screen even after you pan away from spot placed it will be on screen covering up what you want to see. Also means it would really only be good for right and left max positions however just means your missing that much of other area...
Sadly all the cash I spent on my Cameras before Knowing Amcrest I need a new Budget for that now days... Also hard to replace cameras that I have with a camera that don't offer same type of setup.. Like my 37x has 6 (7 on paper) inputs and 4 outputs on the cameras alone. In the back yard I have 3 PIR for presets to where the PIR are set.. Another 27x when I bought it is now a 37x because my 27x camera module went bad so I put in a extra 37x I had as back up.. Anyway it has 256 presets but no fancy alarms or IR cut filters but only cost me less then 700 back in 2013 however with the Module I put in now makes just under 1k and now also offers IR Cut Filter and some other things that the other didn't Same body and motors just different camera module At that time I also had to replace the Pan Belt it was running on 4 of 5 threads all the rubber ribs were gone

Sadly one of my 37x PTZ cameras went up in smoke but cost less for me to repair then buy a new one.. After trouble shooting and replacing a Voltage Regulator and SMD Cap the camera is back up and cost for the parts was less then 10 if I had some one fix it it would have cost 200+ or more Some people would have just told me what the company I bought it from told me when I asked them when my warranty expired. My mistake to buy extended but last 2 years longer then that anyway lol they said "Just buy a new one it is outdated" lol.. I will pass .. I am just glad I have the tools to do it myself and soldering know how for the last 40 years and the tech skills to be able to find the fault myself again right tools along with some skill fix anything lol..
I have an 841E Even my Micro soldering tip wasn't small enough to repair all in that camera lol Also there is some things I learned about the Great R&D and builders of that camera. 841e has some extreme Quality craftsmanship into them... One reason I say this is because the board isn't a double sided board it is a Triple sided at least. Only down side to something so compact and need for inner layer if anything goes wrong inside the board it is over...
Be Safe.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Wow! Revo2Maxx You have a lot of cameras and a lot invested in them!
I am going to guess that there are some people in the world that have Patent on some ideas of others... So while it is great idea that everyone have the ability to keep things 1 way sadly others don't feel the same...
I doubt that using a table to display and assist in the setup of tours and presets is a patent-able idea, one cannot patent things that are intuitive and not novel, and any software developer would easily come up with and use a table driven setup scheme for handling pan, tilt, zoom, presets and tours. More likely the lack of a table driven scheme in the IP2M-841s is simply the result of poor software architectural planning and the inability to design and reuse software components across Amcrest's suite of cameras. The IP2M-841 had a recent firmware update that came out after the software for the IP2M-858 had been developed and it did not include this table driven feature.

The more I look at the details of Amcrest's software the more I get the feeling that their software development team and processes are not using good software development practices and methodologies. It appears to be more like a bunch of beginners who lack the knowledge on how to go about developing software platforms and use modern design and development processes. I am sorry to be harsh about Amcrest's software but I have been in the software development business for a very long time now, working as a principal/senior software designer and architect, and can recognize the symptoms of poor software development practices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hummm I am not sure I can agree with that... While I can't say 100% about the line of cameras 841, 941, 1051 and the 721 while are on a Micro Pan Tilt frame sure there are many other systems that are as well. However I can tell you that my Guess is going to be not a Software DEV issue but maybe a lack of where to store that software on the camera.... The one thing that Amcrest has over all other Mini Cameras I have bought for testing is that Amcrest has a world of design on their platform that the others don't... While some claim are HTTP and ONVIF the ones I have bought were just App driven with no special hardware like the Amcrest ones have.. Input, Audio and Alarm and out for both... This over the ones that already on the camera.. Amcrest has loads of things that the others don't and some minor flaws that others don't however again hard to make something so small with so much without giving up something and Software I don't think it is missing I just think where you store it effectively maybe lacking...

So about the Patent idea? I am not sure but I know there are others that have been sued over some really crazy design ideas on the idea that xyz company made it and patent the idea.. SO that is why I am going to guess if someone has and I am sure there is but I can't remember who but I am sure the person that has it in the software of the camera to offer not only Preset names but also offer Preset JPG or some other image file is going to have that patented for as long as they can get away with it to drive buyers to their platform... I can tell you that there are limits I have found in the 841 that I don't like but as things in life I have to live with them lol...

So want you to try something.. On your 858 go to your Mask and set up a mask on something under preset 1 if you have presets set anyway... Then pan away right or left of the area where you set the Mask... Then either going to preset and or then pan back to that area and past that area.. You will see the PRO camera has ability to keep Mask where you put not keep it on your Screen when you pan away... Now with your 841 do the same thing Infact don't even waste time putting it somewhere just enable it lol... Then save and live view and pan off the area.... Mask on Screen not area... Great idea bad flaw in software it wasn't fixed after I mentioned it was worthless in the form it is now and wasn't removed sadly a Feature that I wish would be updated to work.

About the Patent thing to revisit that really fast I can't remember where or who it was but there was one Company out there that Sued another camera company in USA for Menu Layout WTF really so that is why I have the idea of they can get away with that an idea of Image/Name Preset yeah I am sure it is under a Patent somewhere I am going to guess maybe Samsung even though I don't have it in mine but I do have names in it I don't know what the updated version has seeing it might still be sold for 1400 to 2200 for each camera today they are Iam sure with updated software... While i have had mine apart do to broke belt it has loads more memory then my 841 does and I have logs in the camera from 2016 still lol.... 841 can only keep 1024 items so I am going to guess lack of some things I want in it is due to lower memory...
Be Safe.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Darkstar wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:18 pmI am sorry to be harsh about Amcrest's software but I have been in the software development business for a very long time now, working as a principal/senior software designer and architect, and can recognize the symptoms of poor software development practices.
In respect of both software and firmware I doubt that the responsibility lies at the door of Amcrest. If you investigate you'll find where both originate :) . I have to agree that the changes to both could be better documented and organised.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03