WOW this makes me want to stop with the Birds

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: WOW this makes me want to stop with the Birds

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So the good news for the 2 Squabs, Yesterday now, on 07-07 and oddly 737am the 2 Fledged from the nest. It was awesome to watch them both take the first flight. Now the daddy has been working for a couple of days now to find a new mate. My guess is the Female that took over after the mom was taken from the nest might be his own and so he is looking for another female to take the nest for some more babies. I know last year when he lost the last mate to the cat at the bird feeder, He didn't find one for the rest of the season. I really hope he has better luck this year. I have seen more Doves this year then I have in the last few years so maybe I will be able to see even more hatch this year. Last time it was within a few days after the last ones Fledged before mom returned and started again. If no other bird starts again before the end of July I will remove the nest and they will build a new one next spring if they want to for a 3rd year..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Cool. Glad to hear it.

Some will claim they mate for life but that is obviously not the case. A pair can have up to 4 clutches a season (busy, busy!) but usually not take on a new mate until the next season if one or the other is lost. There are exceptions, of course.

And as you've seen first hand, they are a community oriented breed that will assist each another in distress without hesitation.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I will admit I have learned alot just by adding the camera this last time to watch them. I have always just let them use the space after I kicked out the nest last year after the first pair fledged. I felt bad when she returned and built a new.. I wanted to get first view and has been a joy to watch and learn..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I posted a video of the 2 Fledging. They took flight yesterday and thought I would update my youtube channel with the great news of the Nest after the issues in this thread. Audio is horrible sorry..
https://youtu.be/jndy4lDVDuk
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

It didn't need audio. The vid spoke for itself!
Awesome.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So sad to see that he still hasn't found a mate for the rest of the Breading season. He spends his day looking at the nest and trying to find a new mate. I hope he makes it to a 3rd Season and finds a new mate come next year. Almost same results to what happened last year when he lost his mate after the 2nd nestlings Fledged. I have not seen the female that helped him finish the second set after a few days from when the Fledgling left the nest. They all were around about a week and now he is here alone again like last year to spend the days until fall calling for a new mate.
Screenshot (4680).png
Screenshot (4680).png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 5130 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So didn't talk about the Return. They have returned. Same male found a new mate. Even with the Cold snap today is first hatching of the eggs. Hope she has full season. I didn't get my camera placed where I wanted it this time, With all the cold and rain. I have a camera placed just enough to see them at the edge of the nest, that is fine with me.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Hatchlings already?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes sir, Today was the first egg to hatch. I was like WOW.. Thought maybe with the weather there would be some delay. So was shocked to see Papa take away the shell. The last time he left he was gone for a good 2 minutes I was like Poor baby must be cold lol. Seeing it is Shaded side of house and little cool out. Right now at 62 so that is good.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

They could have several broods this season starting so early!

Good luck with them.