NV2104E-HS Local Setup

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
zplugger

NV2104E-HS Local Setup

Post by zplugger »

Just got a NV2104E-HS nvr for my garage that has no internet. Can I hook this up to a computer in the garage with a network cable and do all the setting from the computer just like if I had a monitor hooked up to the nvr? I download the config program with no luck,it finds the nvr but it can't connect. Any suggestion if this is possible.

Thank You
Z
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NV2104E-HS Local Setup

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum. While I am not 100% sure. I would think that if you had a Router connected to the NVR then you should be able to set up without internet Main issue I think is that the NVR needs the Router to run like a HOST. I know it is able to be set to a Static IP and what not but I don't know that it has the ability to Translate the Network Traffic from your computer Some items have a Stand alone host for lack of something better to call it and when connected would work...

Next idea! Have you set your NVR to Static IP? Say to 10.1.0.100 and set your computer to a Static IP 10.1.0.101 and connect the Cable from the Eth0 port of your computer to the Lan port of your NVR and then using the Chrome View App you would need to down load before making this connection as it has to be dl from net. You could also use IE but again I think it would need to be connected to Internet on first run to install any plugins needed.... Doing that it might work without a Router... Software might even be on CD that came with your NVR as well..

Sorry my thoughts are just that... I didn't setup or try as I don't have a NVR...

So in my thought.. Set your IP address under network to Static for the WAN port of your NVR.
Set your computer your going to connect to NVR with a Static IP this is done under Network and your Adapter then TCPIPv4
Then make cable connection between computer and NVR
Use software or IE or Chrome View App to connect

Let us know how it works out for you or if it didn't. I will go pull my DVR out of DVR room and setup with a spare computer and see if it can be done without Router as well.. My DVR however is older Tech CVI so could be different software might let me and NVR might not but Same Amcrest Provider so I would think if my DVR works then NVR could too... I will post back after I test... Take me a little while Room is well hidden and takes time to get in and things out...
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks for the ideas RevoMaxx
I will give your suggestions a try late tonight,will post back on what happens.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

zplugger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm Just got a NV2104E-HS nvr for my garage that has no internet. Can I hook this up to a computer in the garage with a network cable and do all the setting from the computer just like if I had a monitor hooked up to the nvr? I download the config program with no luck,it finds the nvr but it can't connect. Any suggestion if this is possible.

Thank You
Z
Try this.
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... odem-on-PC
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello again... Ok. So there are some good and for me anyway not such good news lol... So I haven't used that computer to access the DVR over the Chrome View app and trying to do so in that mode ask to install a plugin. So I click install but fails to install. Then I think well ok lets try Chrome itself. It ask for the same plugin something called comstring_npapitps and fails to load even though it looks like it is... So then I think ok IE

I get there and it ask for the Plugin as well. However after saying yes multi times and clicking it is ok, Also web threat was turned off seeing I wasn't connected to internet so Defender said it wasn't going to scan the plugin may not be safe.... However once installed and accepted the view came up. Clicked on main stream and Cameras came up was able to click in setup and work some magic in there only little as I didn't want to make to much changes that I would have to change all back lol...

So then I brought up ASP as well. Installed the Device under the NEW Ip address that it was at and it come up in there as well without much fuss...

IP address I left same as it was set at static, I then made change inside my Computer to reflect the IP address seeing it is on a different router and my IPS I setup Static. So rather then me taking out my IP and adding the new one to then replace once I change back. I just added a Second IP to my already setup Static Ip... That is under advance and then click add when you see your box of IP addresses come up that you have your computer set at. Once added save and then you can use the IP that you need when you need without changing it all the time over and over...

So if you check my IP under ipconfig it shows my IP6 address and my 2 IPv4 addresses that I have setup also Subnets and gateways as normal...
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Let me start by saying Thank You for all your help,after setting the ip address right all is well.Nice to be on active forum with lot good people helping others, knowledge is the best gift a person can give. Just waiting for my camera to come to finish the setup,going to set the camera to record with motion only. I don't think a lot goes on at the garage so not sure what size HD to buy for the NVR, was thinking 4TB WD Purple ? If this works out will get another Amcrest for the house with 8 cameras that will have internet.
Larry
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

zplugger wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:16 am I don't think a lot goes on at the garage so not sure what size HD to buy for the NVR, was thinking 4TB WD Purple ? If this works out will get another Amcrest for the house with 8 cameras that will have internet.
Larry
It depends on what camera you use.

I use 1.3 mp cameras in my IP system because I don't have a lot of bandwidth available (cellular). Each camera will use a little over 5 gb per day while full time recording. At that rate, a 4 tb hard drive would last................well, a long time. If you're only recording motion, the 4 tb would be major overkill on my cameras.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

I'm going to use 1 4mp camera at this time set to motion. So I guess a 1TB drive would do. How are you suppose to shut down when not needed, if at garage I want off? Do I just unplug it,I don't see in the browser how to shut down.I know this must be low end with no power switch, but want to control it correctly. Have the nvr in hidden place so watching the feed back on local computer. Any suggestions on right way for stopping recording while working at the garage.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well you can turn motion on and off is only way your going to be able to shut down that I know of. I looked at the setup area and even thought ok I will restart my DVR and then unplug it however when I clicked on Reboot it said it failed lol... So I took my HDMI from my computer I had setup to it and connected it to my DVR to shut it down. It is hard for the HDD to do a Hard Shut down. I avoid it at all cost... One of my DVR's had since 2013 and I have replaced the HDD 2 times last time had over 40000 hours on it... That is 4.5years of 24/7 use It had 109 Power cycles and that is about once every 2 weeks of restarts. Now the system will have more cycles do to the fact I have changed them all to reboot every week now...
Be Safe.
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Couple quick questions
I hooked up my NV2104E-HS to a faster computer today with internet,had it on for about a hour. Why would it use 1.8 gig of data? on a limited data plan this is a hard hit. I have the camera set to detect motion only and it does a real good job,I see in the log all the different times it detected motion. Is their a way to go to a certain motion detect and play it? Is their a limited on how many motion detects it will do in a day? Thanks for any input you would have on my questions.