IOS Amcrest View Pro Resolution Problem

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest View Pro, Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
WilliamA

IOS Amcrest View Pro Resolution Problem

Post by WilliamA »

The Amcrest View Pro update for IOS released 2 days ago has a bug that displays the cameras in very low resolution. The only way to temporary correct it is to lower the resolution to SD and then back to HD. The issue seems to happen when you are in multi camera display mode and you click in a specific camera to view. I made sure the cameras, in the app, are set to display the Main feed. Please fix this issue as soon as possible.
graves14

Re: IOS Amcrest View Pro Resolution Problem

Post by graves14 »

Same here, I thought the app looked different. The workaround I found was the same, but it only works for a short time and then resets to the garbled resolution. I'm on an iPhone 7.
WilliamA

Post by WilliamA »

I really hope a fix gets released soon, this is making my high resolution cameras look like VGA cameras.
graves14

Post by graves14 »

I tried removing the devices and adding them again, that didn't help.
There doesn't seem to be any combination of settings changes that help.

If anyone has tried to downgrade the IOS app let me know. I don't want to lose my devices since it will be hard to add them again (they are remote).
TahirB

Post by TahirB »

As WilliamA mentioned this issue seems to appear when you have a multiview of cameras and then select one to view up close, it looks like it loads the resolution upon first retrieving the feed and doesnt update unless the feed is refreshed such as when changing between SD/HD or reloading the feed while viewing only one camera (not multiview). If you are viewing 4 cameras the distortion is minor, when you are viewing 9 or 16 the distortion gets incrementally worse. A fix is currently in the works, after thorough testing we will push the update to the app store. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience, in the interim the easiest fix is to just select the feed you want to look at in single camera view and refresh the feed by sliding to another feed and then back.
grabczb

Post by grabczb »

Why doesn’t Amcrest spend time testing BEFORE releasing upgrades. Seems like a constant history of problems whenever you release an upgrade. Can you mature the change management process so we, your customers, are not continually inconvenienced when upgrades are released.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@grabczb

I am going to guess that the testing is under normal use and or other use. One reason that they offer Beta Testing of FW updates is so that people like you and others with said products can use it before release and offer feedback of an issue so the DEV people can make the changes before it is released. So then the issue is Maybe the people that used it before release didn't have the issues that later one with others and different setup noticed an issue. Once it is told to Amcrest they do what they can to make things right. Until then there are ways to use the systems they offer without issue and may need to scale back until fix is ready.

It is like with any company it may be that the issue didn't come to lite until a update while it didn't change code of what was working before lets say however maybe it was something that wasn't used much. Like even with our cars, when a issue is found and if it isn't just a issue with one car or type the maker will make a fix and have you come in for repairs...

Lots of products means lots of testing... We are testers as end users... Even things that was bought years ago have bugs from time to time even after years of use without fail. You add something now there is an issue... No one out there is without flaw.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
spleen911

Post by spleen911 »

I reported the same issue on June 6th 10:51PM ET. I have an open technical support incident and was requested to call in for further discussion. I'm on iPhone 8 and was running 12.3.1 at the time, but now running 12.4 with the same issue. I confirmed the Amcrest APP on my phone updated the morning of June 6th. I check my cameras remotely every night: no issue the 5th and the ultra-low resolution initial view the 6th.

I use 16-way view which makes it even worse. 9-way and 4-way give you better initial quality, but still not the defined SD settings. Initially I reported the same workaround of switching to HD and back to SD.

Easiest workaround: simply swipe left/right to a different camera and it goes to true SD view. I double tap one nest the what I actually want to see and then swipe. Once in 1-way view it loads true SD as you switch cameras.
james_s

Post by james_s »

I'm having this exact same problem and it is infuriating because it was working fine in the past release and I got excited when I saw an update to the app available which I hoped would fix the broken push notifications. Well it didn't, and now it introduced this new bug which makes it almost unusable. Swiping left or right while inconvenient at least fixes the live view but I have not found a way to view recordings without the pixelation. Now thanks to the way Apple prevents rolling back to a previous version I'm stuck with a broken app which was my only way of accessing my cameras and NVR unless I fire up an antique computer with IE on it.

As a software professional myself I find it baffling how a bug like this could be released, a junior tester should have found this in a basic smoke test long before it ever made it out the door. Surely using the multiple camera grid view is "normal use"? I'm quickly learning to never update anything because in recent years I have been burned so many times by updates that broke more than they fixed, wouldn't be so bad if I could roll back. Please please please test this stuff before shipping it! This sort of thing is inexcusable.
kgreen29

Post by kgreen29 »

Im on an iphone 6plus. Anyway since the update my live feeds look ok but playback looks messed up. When playing back the video it looks very pixelated or fuzzy. Looks sharper as you zoom in ironically. Was never like this before. If I playback the video on a web browser the quality is fine. So the bug exists in the playback resolution on the ios app as well.