Unable to reach multiple Amcrest Devices using P2P

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
KMA701417

Unable to reach multiple Amcrest Devices using P2P

Post by KMA701417 »

Dumb question?

I have four(4) IP2M-841Wv3, four(4) ASH21-W, and one(1) AMDV5108-I3 DVR scattered across three different locations using three different ISP's.
Sometime after 2:00pm PDT (UTC-7) on Wednesday, July 26, 2023 I lost all remote access to the devices listed above. All the devices were setup and using P2P for the past 3+ years. At my present physical location I am not able to access two of the ASH21-W cameras on the same local network connection using P2P. However I can connect to them using an IP address and port using ASP, Amcrest SmartHome, and thru a web browser.

All devices are reporting their P2P status as 'Online'
I used wireshark to capture traffic from one of the ASH21-W cameras. I can see the device connect to the Amcrest P2P server then connect to the assigned STUN server, but the client side connection always times out.

So I guess my ultimate questions would be - Has Amcrest discontinued their P2P services?
Just because the devices talk to the P2P servers does not mean the service is available for use.

Suggestions? I really do not want to open a bunch ports for forwarding.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Unable to reach multiple Amcrest Devices using P2P

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry don't know where you are located in the World but P2P is working in USA where I am at anyway.. I will pass the info along tomorrow and maybe the Servers need to be Rebooted or something. I just checked my Local and remote located devices that I have connected using P2P and they are working as expected.

It might be something to do with using different Time zones. However not sure that it is the issue seeing I have a Friend that is in the NL that I have access to their camera and it is still online as well.

I would double check that your ISP hasn't blocked any of the Port of TCP and UDP. Or maybe the issue is a Connection issue from a Network Traffic limit?

Amcrest wouldn't stop one of the most important services offered to the End User without notice. P2P is one of the things that sets Amcrest apart from many other Security systems.

Reboot your Routers, Switches and Cameras as there could be an Error that needs to be cleared up that can be done with a reboot..
Be Safe.
KMA701417

Post by KMA701417 »

The interesting thing is I am having the same problem across multiple ISP's here in PNW of USA - Verizon Wireless(clients), T-Mobile(clients), Comcast(Devices), Lumen(Devices), and Level3(Devices & Clients).

However, I did find that P2P is working for ONE(1) single device at each location. Because each location only has ONE public IP address available.
Other observation is P2P does not work if you modify the default connection settings.(Ports) If you modify the port configuration P2P will say that it is online but the stun server will only broker a connection for the default port configuration.

If there are multiple devices registering with the P2P servers from the same public IP, only one will be available for use. Which one? You have to find out by trial and error.

How do you choose or change which device will be available via P2P? I have not figured that out yet. I turned off all P2P registrations for this location. Waited couple of hours then enabled P2P on the primary device I wanted. Still could not connect. Tried the previously working device, I could still connect to it even though P2P status of the device clearly shows 'Offline' even after couple of hours. Why? I have no idea. So I disconnected the power from that device. Still cannot connect to the other device.

I have rebooted devices, power cycled devices, factory reset devices, and even rolled back to older firmware versions. I still can only access ONE P2P device per public IP address.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I would make a Ticket with Amcrest. Like I said maybe it is a Server issue on their side and need to reboot the Servers. I do have a location that has a couple of devices and I am still able to access them remote ..

So are you saying even the ones that you have local you can only connect to one over P2P even in a local connection?

I would double check that your cameras and devices are setup for DNS. It might be as some of mine come back to being setup with my Router as the server and others come back with 8.8.8.8 as main. 8.8.4.4 would be second DNS. It could be something as simple as a DNS issue. However all my Devices are setup with Stock formats and no Port IDs are changed Only thing they differ is Ip and Mac Addresses as they were designed by factory. I leave all the 37777 and other port ID's alone..
Be Safe.