How many NVRs can an IP camera be connected to?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Pogo

Re: How many NVRs can an IP camera be connected to?

Post by Pogo »

Are we talking TVs or workstations? ASP would certainly be the way to go if these remote locations are actual workstations already on the network.

You suggested needing a solution for remote viewing on TVs. ASP is not an option there.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

nelloinc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:51 pm Everything in the camera system is wired Ethernet expect the Samsung TV's that are displaying the new non recording NVRs, they are not connected to the network at all.
Ok, so we're talking about a potential combination of existing LAN workstations along with some new TV locations that have yet to be networked -- both of which desiring access to the camera streams?

You mention the TVs being Samsung. If they are Tizon OS Smart TVs they should have onboard web browsers that may offer some convenient options without requiring additional streaming hardware or third party solutions -- not that there's anything wrong with third party solutions, especially when it comes to IP camera management, IMHO.

Who needs what type of access from the workstations and who will be the intended viewers at the TV locations?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well personally if there is limited access, Then accounts could be made or the NVR that the user could access the limited cameras setup over the App. Then on the computer if installed and setup by Admin and given access the end user should be able to have access to what would be granted by Admin. However there are many other things that are maybe missing within your setup as not everyone has the same type Security Setup. I was just trying to offer a way to maybe limit a station that might need minor access to the cameras without having to buy many many NVR's. With ASP, it could be setup with lets say you had a 32ch NVR, 8ch were going to different areas and you had 40 cameras. These leaves 8 cameras that could be 1 setup for recording on the ASP at location of the Admin or of the terminal that was setup for monitoring the camera.. There is many different things that can be setup even using ASP in a multi monitor setting setup. Another thing for me anyway if with a multi monitor at a terminal setting someone with ASP would have access to the mouse as they are working with in the same system ASP is running on. However in a single Monitor it can work as well with a pop up that would alert the user that something is going on and they could click and look all on 1 monitor with ASP. However if a NVR was in use then a multi input would need to be setup, Then settings for Beep when event happens then the user would need to change the video input to the NVR and change over to a different mouse. Now one could use a KVM that I use as well. IF setup with a key shortcut that is the fastest way to change from 1 input used on multi devices. Most of my newer KVM's are iOgear and one is PS-2 and the other is USB. There are some out there that area USB and HDMI, I do have only 1 KVM that is HDMI and so I don't use that for my Recorders as 98% of my recorders offer D-Sub. While mine are Rack Mount not all of them are and even my rack mount ones have buttons that you could push to turn on the input for that channel for fastest access to a NVR from your PC. Cool thing about the KVM is that 1 monitor 1 mouse for all NVR's that are connected to it.. Again most of the P2P info will need to be Camera based or NVR based and isn't always something open to business networks.
Be Safe.
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

The users who need access to playback already have user accounts on the main NVRs that record footage. The main thing I am trying to solve is the easiest and best way to get constant live footage to display on TVs on premises. So far, the best solution I have found is simply to purchase an additional NVR, connect with an HDMI to the TV, and then connect the NVR to the network and add desired cameras (and not have it record anything).

My concern with a webview through an app on the TV itself is how much the end user might have to interact with it. Will they have to repeatedly log into the application with a user account, does it always stay on, and is the performance better or worse than the dedicated NVR solution.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

ASP will keep the system view logged in. I mean I understand what you mean about having it online full time. With WebUI yes the system needs to be logged in all the time. However with ASP you log in and turn on the view you want and it stays there on the monitor. Just trying to keep things easy without having to spend extra on NVR's However yes I would say that if you keep your cameras connection count on 10 I would keep the amount of NVR's connected at 6 so there is the ability for people to access the camera from the NVR's without getting a message about to many accounts connected. However if you need more stations then as you will see in the picture below you might be able to change the 10 to 20 to help with how many connections you need. Just remember if you have access to the cameras from outside on AVP you will want to take into account on all connections. So if you needed 14 stations and you changed your system to 20. That would leave 6 other connections. So I know it should be rare for all stations to need to be looked at outside all the same time. Just wanted to put it out there that any number over your NVR's number can close up fast. It has happen to me a few times on my own systems.
Screenshot (4358).png
Screenshot (4358).png (136.32 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
Be Safe.
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

Thank you for the help Revo. Does having multiple connections to ASP use a lot of resources on the host machine, or does it put the load on the individual cameras?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

nelloinc wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:15 am The main thing I am trying to solve is the easiest and best way to get constant live footage to display on TVs on premises.
How do you intend to establish connectivity to these locations and what is their proximity to your existing NVRs? You mentioned connecting to the network -- presumably via ethernet? And if the display intended for the additional locations is just that -- a display not requiring location specific management, direct user access, or even being on the network --, why not simply consider direct HDMI connections over ethernet from your existing NVR(s) and be done with it? The only requirement then would be having the TVs turned on and the desired HDMI input selected for viewing. Doesn't get much easier than that.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

For ASP I personally would prefer WebUI, So here is a log of today from 3 different computers running ASP and 2 NVR's the first main NVR for this camera and then I just added in the seconds at 218. IT shows that it logged in and out then in that is because when it is added first time the way I added it, The cameras loads as admin admin and so it logs out after updating the right password it shows that it logged back in. The system here is showing 225 last logged in after the system reset, then the camera reset at 1ish am then today about little bit again I started to turn on my ASP on some machines. All of them are viewing the Live View and I have 2 NVR's and the 1 WebUI that this backup of the logs was from.. So right now in total the camera is connected to 2 NVR's and 3 ASP, One is older version and one is Dahua SmartPSS and then one on this computer is the newer Amcrest one and this computer is where the WebUI is open from as well. Camera is working as expected and no lag or delays that I can see besides one of the computers that is showing 100% CPU right now because it is running a update

So that is really why I personally like a NVR over ASP if there is cameras that need a NVR. Because when systems update the ASP can have some issues. However When NVR are in system already then for monitoring I say ASP is the way to go..

However if you didn't already have a NVR and wanted to ASP for your recording or Blue Iris, I would say get a NVR because they are designed for 24/7 recording and use for Security Cameras..

So I am clear on what is being seen here these are all online all at the same time. I tried to log out the camera view and bring it up again so they would all show the same log in time however it didn't work that way. However they are all online

My main computer, 119, ASP139, ASP34, ASP119, NVR218 and NVR225.

Also one last thing to keep in mind when you have your cameras connected to multi NVR's each of them will try to Serv the Time and that can make your cameras times all strange if each computer isn't working on the same NTP..
Screenshot (4359).png
Screenshot (4359).png (83.97 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I now have 4 ASP online, 2 are the new version, 1 is the older and then I have the Dahua Smart PSS as well. Then also as before logged into using my main computer on WebUI. I am not sure why the 1 is showing a older time then other. However what I did was had them all online the camera, I then Reboot the camera and that logs into them all once the camera comes up. When I did a search the first time the second NVR wasn't showing it logged back in even though it was the first one to come online so I moved the time from 27 min after to 30 and that was when 1 and 2 show up and again not sure why it is showing log in before others in the time line but that is how it loaded.. 6 devices and my log in with WebUI for 7 in total and with it setup on 10 connections it is working well without an issue that I can notice anyway. I am able to move the camera PTZ seeing it is my 850EB camera. There is no lag in any of the feeds outside what is normally there when I am only looking at 1 NVR.

Edit: about resources on NVR yes it would take up some of the devices resources as you connect them to different systems. So maybe best doing them at camera level if your cameras are connected to your normal network range. However if the cameras are on your NVR's POE port and wanted a cameras fed from there then that is how it would have to be connected. Once you setup your ASP for cameras you want monitored there at that station you can make a view and each time the user logs in they could load that view rather then having to load them back in 1 at a time. So it is a Flexable way to monitor at different areas for difference views. Either way using ASP or NVR it would take up same Resources to stream to the station.
Screenshot (4360).png
Screenshot (4360).png (151.46 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Might be a bit much just for hooking up a coupla TVs?
nelloinc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:23 am ....what are some recommendations for being able to easily view these cameras on TVs that end users don’t have to constantly interact with, such as logging in to the NVR web UI?
Seems to me the situation calls for little more than a simple CCTV distribution solution..., minimally managed to one degree or another from a centralized location.

A few questions obviously remain:

Just for starters...,

-- How large are the viewing panels on the TVs?
-- Are all 30 cameras intended to be viewed at each location? Simultaneously? Cycled? Some but not others? Different combinations for different locations?
-- Can the locations be easily cabled?
-- Is there an existing central networking location for the NVRs and related gear?

Getting all the camera streams to each location will be the easy part. How they are to be managed and displayed is where the creativity will be required. Sequencing from a central location would be the easiest right after static displays at each location -- or a combnation of both.

It's just basic CCTV distribution with modern technology and doesn't need to be complicated or expensive.