How many NVRs can an IP camera be connected to?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
nelloinc

How many NVRs can an IP camera be connected to?

Post by nelloinc »

At my place of business, we have over 30 Amcrest IP cameras with 3 primary NVRs recording them. I would also like to have several NVRs that are simply just for monitoring the camera views on a TV (they have no hard disk).

My main question is are cameras (specifically models such as IP8M-T2669EW-AI) capable of streaming multiple copies of their main stream to different NVRs or is that asking too much from them?

If this is too much for the cameras, what are some recommendations for being able to easily view these cameras on TVs that end users don’t have to constantly interact with, such as logging in to the NVR web UI?

Thank you!
Pogo

Re: How many NVRs can an IP camera be connected to?

Post by Pogo »

A camera can stream to multiple monitoring locations. Any number of methods could be used for remote viewing with individual NVRs not even being necessary unless desired for some reason. Depending on what would be considered acceptable quality / frame rate and the actual resolution capability
and expectations from the TVs, a simple app solution like tinyCamPro could be used for a one time purchase price of $3.99 with a Firestick or a Chrome/AndroidTV box using a simple remote control as the only other device required for operation. (The Roku platform doesn't offer any type of equivalent IP cam viewing solution.)
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

As a short follow-up, it should go without saying that the existing network topology and physical/structural environment obviously need to be taken into consideration when exploring possible solutions. A bit more detail there would be helpful in offering additional suggestions.
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

When you talk about acceptable quality and frame rate with tinyCam, does that mean it usually uses just the substreams? Because if so, that would be preferred as they just need to be monitored. The mainstream feeds are only needed during playback.

In terms of network topology, all cameras are on our network, not going into any NVR themselves. I can answer any further questions regarding it you need.

Would tinyCam pro basically stream the feed from the main NVRs we have recording the footage?

Thank you for the reply!
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

So the cameras are all networked to the existing NVRs on an IP address basis via PoE switches instead of being individually plugged into the NVRs?

As for acceptable frame rate, that's more an aspect of available bandwidth and processing horespower of say a Firestick or Android device to handle what you're throwing at it. You could stream whichever stream you chose to stream to the end device as selected by the end device and determined by the availability of the stream as configured on the cameras themselves. Their configuration determine what streams are available.
Last edited by Pogo on Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

Correct. They all have individual IPs that I can access through a web browser. They are static IPs that are in the reserve of our local DHCP server.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So here is some more info to follow up what was already stated. Keep in mind that your NVR's will have a Max count number and some start out low and others trim them down. So yes your cameras can stream to a good few NVR's. However if there is a computer and monitor at each of the locations then I would look into using ASP from Amcrest, Then you don't need to have many different NVR. The main problem is if someone makes a change in NVR2 that change will be reflected in all the other NVR's.

Also all systems connected will only be as good as the weakest link in the system. So for me best to have 1 NVR and try to keep all things setup with good cables and protection systems at easy of the locations and a system will last a good while. Then each of the systems if using ASP could be setup with a set type of cameras from your system at each station. Sure you can do that with NVR's as well it is just easy to use ASP over many NVR's and as long as the system is used for Viewing while the Main user AKA Admin at GUI is one that setup cameras and makes all the needed adjustments for the system things will be fine..

I don't like Tinycam but there are many that use it. I don't like the idea that I have to give software password to my cameras and when your system is setup with many cameras that is a lot to deal with. ASP is part of Amcrest and I don't feel I have to worry as much of a 3rd party getting access to my passwords.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

nelloinc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:02 pm Correct. They all have individual IPs that I can access through a web browser. They are static IPs that are in the reserve of our local DHCP server.
Gotcha. Would these new locations be ethernet or wi-fi? Maybe a little of both?
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

Pogo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:39 pm
nelloinc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:02 pm Correct. They all have individual IPs that I can access through a web browser. They are static IPs that are in the reserve of our local DHCP server.
Gotcha. Would these new locations be ethernet or wi-fi? Maybe a little of both?
Everything in the camera system is wired Ethernet expect the Samsung TV's that are displaying the new non recording NVRs, they are not connected to the network at all.
nelloinc

Post by nelloinc »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:06 pm So here is some more info to follow up what was already stated. Keep in mind that your NVR's will have a Max count number and some start out low and others trim them down. So yes your cameras can stream to a good few NVR's. However if there is a computer and monitor at each of the locations then I would look into using ASP from Amcrest, Then you don't need to have many different NVR. The main problem is if someone makes a change in NVR2 that change will be reflected in all the other NVR's.

Also all systems connected will only be as good as the weakest link in the system. So for me best to have 1 NVR and try to keep all things setup with good cables and protection systems at easy of the locations and a system will last a good while. Then each of the systems if using ASP could be setup with a set type of cameras from your system at each station. Sure you can do that with NVR's as well it is just easy to use ASP over many NVR's and as long as the system is used for Viewing while the Main user AKA Admin at GUI is one that setup cameras and makes all the needed adjustments for the system things will be fine..

I don't like Tinycam but there are many that use it. I don't like the idea that I have to give software password to my cameras and when your system is setup with many cameras that is a lot to deal with. ASP is part of Amcrest and I don't feel I have to worry as much of a 3rd party getting access to my passwords.
Is it possible to use ASP remotely? Many of the users who need to monitor the cameras do not have admin credentials over their workstations, so they will not be able to install or open ASP as it requires it.
I agree that I do not feel comfortable using a third party piece of software, especially if I don't have to.