NVR wasting recording space. What's wrong?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jack7

NVR wasting recording space. What's wrong?

Post by jack7 »

I am using an Amcrest NV4108-HS with 2 TB disk and 2018 firmware.  Three cameras are recording 24/7 with one also recording motion detection.  All cameras have similar video settings:
H.264H
1920x1080 resolution
2 cams- 20fps, CBR 3072 kbps, 1 cam- 30 fps, CBR 4096 kbps
Audio enabled for external mic
Overwrite

The 2 TB (1.865 TB formatted) HDD will only hold 6 days of recordings. Looking at the actual recorded sizes, or the output of disk space calculator programs, that 1.865 TB space should hold about 16 days of recordings.  Not 6 days.  Cameras are Dahua PTZs and bullet.

What could be causing this?  I suppose I could try  a HDD format.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NVR wasting recording space. What's wrong?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I would double check that your not setup for Scheduled Snapshots. If you are then your system is not only recording full time on them channels but they are also recording snapshot every second

So normally the NVR's come setup with Full time Recording and full time Snap Shot enabled. First thing I do is change them both so I don't have that issue..

Also something to think about..

If you are full time recording so you can have Audio recording and you have motion events recording the real events as long as your not missing anything I would think about changing the Full time Recording over to the Sub Channels rather then full time recording at the Max Resolution and will save loads space.. If you look at the Channel types you can see they are on S and not M.. If I need higher Def I use the IVS or Motion events using Main.
Today besides a short time where I rebooted the system
Screenshot (4073).png
Screenshot (4073).png (153.53 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Yesterday and all the other days before look the same
Screenshot (4074).png
Screenshot (4074).png (153.42 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Revo2Maxx,
I have always thought you are an NVR expert.
Your first comment is right on.  The default snapshots are requiring huge disk space.  I turned off snapshots Friday night.  Total camera video recording total time seems to be increasing slowly.  Based on my observations so far, I think it will take 18 days to reduce the total snapshot files to zero.  After that I should have about 15 days of total camera storage instead of 6 days.  We'll see.
Using substream would also be good but the application requires all video be mainstream, not just motion detect.

Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok, Yeah I thought I would put that out there. I am not sure what is being captured in your videos and what application your needing full data on and that is all good either way I just wanted to make sure that all options to help you or others that might look at your thread here with some info that could save loads of space on full time Recording.

For me, I have some for reasons that I record Full Time on Sub Channel. This option is just by moving the Record for sub from off to Manual Then setting the schedule to Motion, Alarm and in my case IVS.

So I made a fast little Video of what I was talking about. Just so I was clear. Maybe your application will find that using Motion and Alarm if you use Alarm is good enough for Main and Sub is better after all for Full time. It will save space. If not for your needs maybe someone reading can benefit from setting up the system using Sub Stream as full time recording and main for motion and will save them big space.

I have a recorder that is not full but uses Full time only on select sub channels and Motion/IVS on main and I have not formatted that HDD since July of 2022. In July it was setup using SMD, I changed to IVS in Aug and in Oct it is now only recording 4ch total with IVS as it's main source of recording method. 3tb HDD One of the channels has between 400 to 600 IVS events a day so it isn't like it isn't recording something.. Right now the HDD has 1.48tb left

Back to the current video I made. I show personally what I do if I had limited space on a HDD and if I didn't need Full HDD for monitoring normal day video setting up full Sub will save load of space..

Didn't show but in the Schedule of the system I only have Motion, Alarm, IVS scheduled. The Full time is done using Record Type settings..

https://youtu.be/pYLGlVSUB1Y
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Here is what I didn't show in my Video. I was about to when I had someone show up and I cut my Video off abruptly. So to show my Schedule for Record and Snapshots so others are not leaving the Schedule for full time as it will be full time when moving record type to Manual for Sub.. That is how I have all my Channels setup for the NVR in the Pictures below.
Screenshot (4079).png
Screenshot (4079).png (74.42 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Screenshot (4080).png
Screenshot (4080).png (69.66 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Be Safe.