Amcrest wifi IP2M-858W issue, Help!

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jack7

Re: Amcrest wifi IP2M-858W issue, Help!

Post by jack7 »

Your camera is definitely not wifi only.  I have an IP2M-858.  It uses an ethernet cable and NOT wifi.  I could use wifi if desired by just changing some camera settings.
If your POE injector is a normal one, It's meant to work for POE and data.  It's probably a 30W injector since your camera is working.  Depending on what injector you have, it could possibly be used, as I mentioned before with a cable going to router, instead of the POE switch Revo2Maxx mentioned.
cmartin3977

Post by cmartin3977 »

Revo, Jack,
Well that's good to know, I didnt realize that you could run ethernet, I thought it only was a wifi connection. I would of ran that to begin with and not even of messed with wifi. So I just basically just run out of the injector and back into the router then. The only thing is that I won't physically be able to access the camera for a reset as I would need to rent a 40ft man lift and its winter time here so that's not gonna happen.
cmartin3977

Post by cmartin3977 »

Thanks for the help so far guys, its really appreciated! Im gonna get a cable ran from the injector to the router and i will let you know how it goes....
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I don't know what Splitter/Injector your using but normal there is a in and out along with a power lead. However the issue is that if you didn't connect a Ethernet cable to the camera to start with then it will need to wait until you have access to a 40 man lift.

However there is ways around this issue. 2 Ways. 1 is way easier then the other..

1st, log into your Router and change your router info to meet the cameras expected range.. That is Easy enough

Second and would require a different router, That would be to setup the second router with same info that the camera is expecting. IP Range, SSID, Password, gateway and local host. ONce the second router is setup remove the first from being online and connect the second one. Log in to the camera and change to DCHP for the cameras Wifi, save and reboot while it is starting turn off second router and turn your main one back on and it will now load up with new IP within your current range..
Be Safe.
cmartin3977

Post by cmartin3977 »

I ran an ethernet cable from the camera down to the bottom of the tower it is on to the injector to just power the camera, and used the wifi to actually connect to it. I do have access to connect to the injector so continuing the run to the router isn't an issue other than its about a 100ft run to the router in the house. I could do a temp run to the house to make sure its gonna work. I thought about the log into the router idea, but strangely enough, when logged into the netgear router , the connection that I'm trying to connect to, and the one that all the other devices are connected to also doesn't even show on there. I have no idea why, its like it doesn't exist, but it does because Im connected to it.

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:09 pm So I don't know what Splitter/Injector your using but normal there is a in and out along with a power lead. However the issue is that if you didn't connect a Ethernet cable to the camera to start with then it will need to wait until you have access to a 40 man lift.

However there is ways around this issue. 2 Ways. 1 is way easier then the other..

1st, log into your Router and change your router info to meet the cameras expected range.. That is Easy enough

Second and would require a different router, That would be to setup the second router with same info that the camera is expecting. IP Range, SSID, Password, gateway and local host. ONce the second router is setup remove the first from being online and connect the second one. Log in to the camera and change to DCHP for the cameras Wifi, save and reboot while it is starting turn off second router and turn your main one back on and it will now load up with new IP within your current range..
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah for the time being then, I would run a normal cat5e cable from your router out to the Injector. Then in theory it will (should) give a new IP address that is on your current IP range. Log into that IP and then go to setup, network, TCP/IP and then in that window will be a drop down for wireless, click that and change the IP to the next IP after the one your Router just hand out to the wired one or as I had said before best to really click DHCP, This way the router will make the changes to the wireless settings in whole and you don't miss one of them. Like if the gateway wasn't setup it will fail to connect. Then please note if you try to connect to the Wifi Ip that it gives you while your cable is connected in theory it is just going over the wired connection so make sure to reboot camera, and unplug the cable from the router. Once the camera comes back online and you can log into the Wifi on the IP it should have on your good range then unplug rest of wire from injector. It is not safe to keep your cable running over ground for long time un protected. Setting up to make some changes is not an issue as long as your not doing this during a storm lol..

Be Safe.
Be Safe.
cmartin3977

Post by cmartin3977 »

Cool thanks again, Ill give you an update soon....
cmartin3977

Post by cmartin3977 »

Okay so I added the cable and was able to get it up and running again after resetting the router, now it sees it as a cabled connection and I was able to log back into the Amcrest pro app on the Mac, it did give it a new ip. So that's all good. It is now set to DHCP, I'm wondering if it would still be a good idea to reboot the cam?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I mean Reboot as in how I have mine setup to do every night. There is a manual ability to do so as well. You don't have to I just do as a way to give it time to know for sure that the connection to the Wifi is good.

Then I would log back in the camera and give it a Static IP so you know it won't change on you in the future. Even if you keep it the same as you have now. By setting up it will remain that.. Just keep in mind if you ever change service and have a new Router coming into your home. Make sure to log into the camera and setup back to DHCP..
Be Safe.