DHCP not Working IP8M-2498EW-V2

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
AndyRH

DHCP not Working IP8M-2498EW-V2

Post by AndyRH »

I had to replace one of my cameras. When I plugged the new one in it picked up a DHCP address (192.168.2.53) but was not accessible. An ARP check of the network found the camera with an address (192.168.1.108) not in a valid subnet. I altered my address to connect to the camera and set a proper address. I verified the MAC and set the camera to DHCP and rebooted the camera. It did not pick up the DHCP address. I did a factory reset and the camera reverted to 192.168.1.108.

I have the camera manually set to a 192.168.2.154 with the use DHCP option selected and a DHCP reservation of 192.168.2.200 so I will know if it decides to use DHCP as instructed.

The firmware loaded is the latest I could find. V2.800.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-12

Is there a fix for this? Did I miss something?

** Other information **
DHCP works correctly for the other 9 clients including 5 (previously 6) Amcrest cameras.
There is not a 192.168.1.0/24 DHCP server.
The camera is using the same port as the camera that was killed.

Thank you,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: DHCP not Working IP8M-2498EW-V2

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

Normally a Dahua camera when someone does a Reset the camera will default to a Static IP of 192.168.1.108 or 0.108 depending on the year of the device. For Amcrest cameras however most of them are setup for Dhcp being active however one or some models might have passed though the crack and not act as expected...

What is important for most devices to work within your current network is having a IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway being setup right for your network..

Static IP, is where you can change the IP and it will stay where you set it for. DHCP normally has no ability to make a change within the IP field so I am not sure what you mean you setup for 192.168.2.154 and have it on DHCP. You could choose Static and make that choice.. However you would want to make sure that your Subnet normally 255.255.255.0 and for that IP the normal Gateway might be 192.168.2.1 however it could be set at almost anything but you want to make sure what ever your computers gateway address matches the same gateway as your IP camera.. Then in the US most IP cameras are setup for DNS of 8.8.8.8 and second one being 8.8.4.4..

About working in the same port as another dead camera there are a few things that one might want to do before making that so.. First double check that the Port is in good standing and that the cable isn't CCA or you will soon have a second dead camera..
Be Safe.
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

Thank you for the response, you used a lot of words to say what I did not clearly state, I should not be able to set the address with the DHCP option set, but I can and it does not get a DHCP address.
I prefer a DHCP address as I can make changes 1 time and affect many. Having a camera that is different will cause me problems at some point.

The nature of the death was a damaged camera cable, the house cabling and port of been verified working.

GWs, and DNS servers are not relevant to my needs.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome sounds like a Camera with some issues and may want to look for different FW for the camera from Amcrest Support.

So you have already setup and Reset camera so doing a Reset isn't going to help, So maybe and I don't know because I can't touch camera to see what is going on But did you for kicks happen to change from DHCP to Static to see if maybe the person that wrote the code for the camera made a Mistake? Also another thing that I would try if it is able to be done.

If your Camera when set to Static acts like DHCP try that. if it don't then maybe doing a FW update to the camera will get it working right. I know that you said that you have the current FW however doing a DL and reinstall of the FW might cure the issue your having.. Or if there is another FW before the FW you have right now I would try the Older FW to see if it cures the issue.

Worse case might need to return and find another camera that fits in your needs for replacement. Sounds like for people that would use the camera with a NVR this wouldn't be an issue but it is hard to say.
Be Safe.
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

I did re-flash the firmware to the same version and I did try both static and DHCP.
The weird part is it grabs a DHCP address and then does not use it. I can see in the DHCP server logs it is assigned an address.

It does seem like a coding error and it is not looking at the static/dhcp option after it boots. Hopefully they will contact me about the case I opened. It just seems odd that code that is 9 months old would not have had this fixed already. The other option is the camera is bad, but that seems like a stretch as it seems to work fine otherwise.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It might be in early stage failure of the camera Realtek network adapter or might have been a building error maybe. Never seen how they are made but my guess is that the main part of pick and place and auto soldering of the part in question with many others. The pads might have bridged to another pad and might be making it not work right. I am guessing part is a BGA part and not easy to notice bridged pads
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry said BGA however I am guessing they are QFP rather. Took a 12x and 20x ip camera apart and both, one from 2017 other from 2018 are both QFP for the Ethernet chips both are Amcrest cameras so my guess yours will have QFP and with that much easier to see bridges so no telling what the issue is. Bigger board is older 20x camera chip center of board the other is little chip next to CPU closer to micro SD slot
20220430_212752.jpg
20220430_212752.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 745 times
Be Safe.
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

Support replied it is a known HW problem. RMA in progress.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome that they are getting it taking care of, Thanks for the Update..
Be Safe.