Amcrap cameras dead in just over 2 years?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Yardstick

Amcrap cameras dead in just over 2 years?

Post by Yardstick »

I've been having connectivity problems from the beginning with Amcrap cameras. My network is strong and the cameras are on static IPs. The IPs are also reserved in the router. Lately the two cameras mounted outside have been dropping out more and more. Today I can't access them through the NVR or direct through their IP addresses. They have only been installed since January 2019. The cameras are under cover, but it did rain today. They were supposed to be IP67 rated, but as with so much from this company I don't trust that. Maybe the humidity killed these terrible cameras.
patric

Re: Amcrap cameras dead in just over 2 years?

Post by patric »

Can you post the model numbers and the firmware versions?
Are they dropping out at regular intervals?
Yardstick

Post by Yardstick »

Model: IP4M-1026W
Version: 2.420.AC01.3.R. 2018-02-06

That version (I'm assuming that's firmware version) came from another camera that still works. The two that have been outside won't connect at all. The dropouts have been random up to this point. Now they are just dead. I have tried to reset and I still can't access them.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There is so many different things that can happen within the Wifi arena that can plague your cameras with nothing but heartache.. Someone in your area might have a router that is now competing for your WIFI channel.. Just because we have the ability to have SSID and things like that where no one can access out network that don't change the fact that they are Wifi and work on a Channel that isn't just our own channel. Wifi is a bad for Security cameras.. For me I have some but wouldn't use them on my Mission Critical areas of my system if there isn't 1 or more cameras in that same area I won't use a Wifi as the only means.. So you mention that your Network is strong and while this might be it is very easy for something to come in just over areas not in the heart of your main area that is fighting for your Wifi Channel this could also be something that happens for a short time in bursts long enough to make your cameras un happy.. Another thing and something I found with my own single camera that I use on Wifi only again as backup to my normal cameras.. If I have a faulty MSD card installed it will have connection issues. Just had my 1.3mp Wifi camera spit out a 32gb card that was just over 2 years old.. Before replacing it this week I would get my camera to make a good connection for a day maybe 2 after a reboot and same days on a reboot it wouldn't connect longer then 5 min.. Changing the MSD it is now been connected for this week and only went offline once at 2am on Sunday seeing it reboots that day..

Sadly outside of that Wifi is bad idea for NVR security just to many issues with keeping them connected... One change again someone buying in your area a new Router with higher power then they had before can just make a mess of things..
Be Safe.
Yardstick

Post by Yardstick »

Agreed that WiFi is terrible for security cameras. I've had a few now and they never work well. The two outside cameras area dead-dead. I have swapped them with the two that were still working and the two that were outside are still not working. They are not accessible after resetting. They are dead.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting.. Sorry to hear this.. So not sure how or what you have used to detect they are still dead after being removed...

So here is some things that isn't 100% truth as others like to push plug in a check if the IR come on and things like this that isn't 100% a good way to tell if a camera is dead or not however it can tell you if the camera is getting enough power from the power supply..

So I am guessing you have tried a different Power supply?
I am guessing you have Tried to plug them in the Port of a Router or Switch (Unless they are only 100% wifi) as I don't know the model first hand... Is the Reset button inside or on the Wire bundle?
Have you used the ARP command to see if maybe it has loaded on a different IP then your normal range? Being reset without being setup I get it no connection but being plugged in to Ethernet port and powered on can get IP for Arp and finding using a Amcrest IP Tools for finding cameras...

Where was the power supply for the camera when connected in doors or outside?
Be Safe.
Yardstick

Post by Yardstick »

I did a couple of checks. The IR LEDs wouldn't come on when I put my hand over the front of the camera. On the first one, I checked the power supply output with my Fluke 87V. I also swapped power supplies and still got nothing from the cameras. The outside camera power supplies are also outside, but they are in weather resistant boxes mounted to the outlets. I reset the cameras with the button found inside the small cover on the camera itself. I have not plugged them into a router as all of my connections are currently in use. If the problem they are having necessitates dismounting the camera, resetting and plugging it into a router, then they are of no use to me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well sadly I can't say what isn't or what the issue is with your camera seeing I don't have them in my hands for True and total Trouble shooting.. I only can give you some ideas of what one might do to Trouble shoot an issue like a bad Power supply, bad Wifi or even maybe a bad MSD card installed into the camera...

Personally testing a Power supply for voltage without a load can very easy give you a False Positive for a good power supply.. Then what one could do is test the Power supply when it is loaded and understand not everyone has test leads that make that an easy task.. Also while not everyone has a Volt Amp Test meter laying around it can come in handy when testing camera power at the camera location it self.. However when using a Power supply at the Camera site isn't always needed but again good to have for testing things like this..

Sadly over time power supplies don't last a long time.. Sometimes as odd as it might be a power supply can go bad over time.. This might be caused by bad Cap in the supply or some other issue.. So one of the things I have seen is a 12v power supply that was 2amps and worked without issue for some time. Then one day it no longer worked, Testing it with a Meter tested out 12v however using a Load tester said it was only producing 650ma of current when it was clearly marked 2amps on the case.. Replace the power supply and the device started work as expected.
Be Safe.
Yardstick

Post by Yardstick »

Yes, power supplies can be tricky like that. That's why I also tried switching with a different power supply from one of the working cameras. Neither of the cameras from outside worked with the power supply that had always been indoors and powering a camera with fewer faults. It would have been easy enough to rig something up for load testing, but that seemed unnecessary since switching to a different power supply had no effect.

The cameras are sealed units except for the wire connections (that were housed in waterproof boxes) and the cover over the micro-SD card port and reset button. I don't see a way to get into them non-destructively to check them further. And I've wasted too much time with this camera system anyway.
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

Does your WIFI camera come back after cycling power? Mine have been troublesome since day 1. I put a WIFI plug on the power supply and I cycle power twice a day, that helped greatly.