Camera Won't Connect Remotely

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
dljone1

Camera Won't Connect Remotely

Post by dljone1 »

I have 2 AMC cameras (IP2m-841). Recently I have had to replace my router. I was able to reconnect both cameras reasonably well -- mostly.

Both cameras are accessible using the Amcrest Surveillance Pro WIN10 desktop app.

I can get live feeds from both cameras on the Android phone app. The newer camera (#2) can connect using P2P. I have not been able to connect camera #1 using P2P -- only through IP. Attempts to connect via P2P always result in login failed.

The problem is when I get away from home, I can't access a live feed from camera #1. I'm assuming it's because the IP address is not valid on another wifi.

How can I get a live feed on camera #1? Port forwarding?
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Camera Won't Connect Remotely

Post by Melvin »

Hello dljone1,

Yes port forwarding is one option. The other cameras P2P status might be offline. You can check this from the web interface of the camera from set up > Network <> TCP IP > P2P.

Some times setting the IP address of the camera to DHCP mode solves the issue. After this you can change the IP back to static.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

I've checked the P2P status and it is indeed offline. How do I get it online?

I've also tried releasing the IP address to DHCP and trying another P2P setup via Android. No success.
dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

Hitherto, I have almost never used the Web View product. I have gone through the settings in both cameras.

Camera #1 (one I can't access remotely) has a P2P status of "offline." Furthermore, under Network>Wifi the status is stuck at "connecting." Apparently it keeps trying but does not succeed.
Camera #2 (one I CAN access remotely) has a P2P status of "online" and a wifi status of "connected."

Another difference Camera #2 has a TCP/IP hostname of IPC vs. unknown for Camera #1.

Any suggestions as to how we can get Camera #1 connected P2P-wise?
dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

Sorry for the duplicate post but when I tried to review, the prior post did not appear. I assumed that I did not post it correctly.

I have tried to do an Ethernet connection with the non-P2P camera. The wizard shows Connection Successful but when I try to login after disconnecting, it fails.

The Web view now shows that the camera is connected to WIFI. However the P2P status is offline. I've noticed that in the other (P2P-Connected) camera, the hostname is IPC. In the problem-child camera, the hostname is unknown.

(One curious thing about both cameras is that the TCP/IP settings is Wired & DHCP. This is NOT the case.)

While I was at it, I updated the firmware.

How can I get this camera to connect via P2P?

As before, it can connect via the IP method but this is not accessible once I'm outside the router range.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello dljone1 ,

Under TCP/IP settings ,seleft wireless from drop down and put that on DHCP and then reboot the cam. If this does not work, you can put static IP back and set up port forwarding.

We can surely assisst you with that if you could give us a call.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

I've tried (as I understood) what you've said. I've set the settings on the Web View product. I disconnected the camera's IP from the router. I've restarted the Cam. I've tried connecting via P2P in the Android phone (using both WIFI and P2P methods).

I can still connect via IP (I reconnected using the IP method). I can view through phone, WIN10, and the web view but I don't have a live feed outside the home network.

I had tried port forwarding previously but without success. I'll contact my ISP and see if they close any ports.

I guess that I'll be calling you this Friday. (I'm assuming that I call 888-212-7538.)
dljone1

Post by dljone1 »

I've contacted my ISP (Metronet). They say that, while they don't restrict ports, they utilize Network Address Translation. They employ carrier grade NAT. The IP assigned to me is also used by others. The suggested contacting them for a static IP. ($10/month).

I've also contacted Amcrest techie. He pretty much said the same thing. I need that Static IP.

I still don't understand why one camera will connect via P2P and the other doesn't. Is it because the router or ISP can only handle one connection at a time?

How about if I get a VPN? Would this work for this situation? Would that serve as a static IP? $10/month seems pretty steep and there are some quality VPNs that are less than that.
elarmario

Post by elarmario »

for Iphones -

Settings - Screen time - always allowed - add amcrest view app
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

I had the same issue with my AMC cameras. When you configure the camera, there are two ways to do it in the Amcrest tool, and bear with me, I'm going by memory and its been a while. If you configure your camera using the internal IP address it works great in-network, but not remotely. Do the longer, more in-depth configuration using the camera serial number or scan the QR code, not the configured IP address that it has for inside of your network. To test it, you can configure the same camera in the Amcrest configuration tool a second time on your network, what I did was configure garage cam a second time as garage cam remote, both configurations can live on the network together. Once you get the remote connection working, go back and delete the original configuration. Boom..... remote works like a champ!

I use both Amcrest Pro and Blue Iris 5. If my security server crashes, which it tends to do after a power outage, at least I have Amcrest Pro to see the camera. I run all of my alerts out of Blue Iris, I don't like how the setup works in Amcrest Pro.