Illegal access

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
GaryPSU

Illegal access

Post by GaryPSU »

I’ve gotten alerts about illegal access a few times. The most recent one, from Russia, has tried to get in multiple times today. Is there a way to block a specific URL address from attempting to log to my camera?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Illegal access

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are most times in cameras a IP list where you can give and take access to cameras.. However don't know what camera it is and if there is a Backdoor that they are trying to access sadly if it is a camera that has a back door the best thing to do is Deny the camera access to the internet. However if it is a 2019 or 2020 FW camera from what I hear and again not that I believe everything I hear but I hear that to play back a cameras footage from its MSD it has to have Internet connection. I sadly get that from my 841's on 2019 or 2020 FW if not online internet I have not access to the Playback and to me makes not sense... my 2017 FW 841 don't have that issue and can playback even when I Deny it access to the Internet...

At the Camera level it is log in to your camera, then Setup, then NEtwork, then Ip Filter, there you can add trusted IPs and block out the rest.
In NVR's on the new FW, it would be under System, Security, Firewall and there you would enable and Trust or block sites as you see fit.. Keep in mind that if your computer is on a DHCP server and you don't have a Static IP you can and most likely will lock your self out of your camera if you use IP filter... SO make sure you have a Static IP for your computers and that you Grant access to that range of IP for your computers...
Be Safe.
Hotrod53

Post by Hotrod53 »

I get these hits literally every day. I get notifications from my Xfinity network that it blocked an attempt, and they come from everywhere in the world. I also run Norton my machine as well as Blue Iris 5. I can go into BI5 and look at the log files, it also shows that zero data was transferred meaning that they couldn't see the camera.
JimSchuuz

Post by JimSchuuz »

Just to add to these responses - if you have a legitimate firewall protecting your perimeter (not the generic one built-in to your modem or router) then you can permit outbound traffic for your camera while also blocking all inbound traffic. This allows your camera to communicate out to the Internet if it needs to, like for cloud recording or browser playback, while still securing your camera from rogue access attempts.