NAS options....QNAP or Synology

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Jordan77

Re: NAS options....QNAP or Synology

Post by Jordan77 »

@jabber

I did read a lot of posts about the nvr....did you experience any issues? Did you get them all resolved?
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

NV4108 is the best NVR in terms of number of channels and resolution it supports.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Jordan77

Post by Jordan77 »

Does it it have the boot loop issues? Trying to update the firmware and failing?
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

No the issue has been fixed. It does not have the reboot problem anymore.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

jabber

Post by jabber »

I have had some bumps along the way. I had the reboot loop issue and the issue with connecting using LiveView, and an issue with motion snapshots (it delays the snapshot by 4 seconds so you miss what caused the motion).

It's not perfect, here are my current complaints:
- When I make setting changes I have to reboot the NVR to make sure it syncs correctly with the cameras.
- I have to close out of LiveViewPro after each use to ensure that it will connect the next time I use it.
- Motion detection is finicky and hard to get dialed in. I've turned off snapshot emails and am using LiveViewPro notifications to send a 30 second recording of motion. I get less false alarms and it's much easier to see what caused the motion. Motion is probably 80% reliable.

Once configured it has been stable and I like the image quality. Bottom line for me is now that I understand how to configure it and what the limitations are I sort of like it.
Jordan77

Post by Jordan77 »

I would echo wha jAbber is saying. I don't have an nvr so I have no experience with that but have had much the same experiences with the cameras. I am still having issues with the auto reboot settings on the camera not staying how I set them. For the most part though once it's setup it has been ok.
Jordan77

Post by Jordan77 »

Bump
quattleb

Post by quattleb »

@Melvin - I really like the two Amcrest security cams I have but did not go with their "high end" 5MP NV4108 as it seems limited in actual total input resolutiont. The specs show that even though it has 8 inputs it can only do "8 x 720p cameras @ 30fps OR with up to 4 x 1080p cameras @ 30fps." As I have two of their 4MP cameras and want to add 4 more I'll be limiting the resolution of what I can record - possibly to 720p. Really low resolution when using such high res cameras.

And to be limited to only ONE 4TB hard drive in this day of 6TB, 8TB and beyond is silly. On top of that I wanted RAID for mirroring - against loss of a HD and thus loss of everything recorded.

So I chose to go with Synology's DS1515+ - setup with 5x 6TB drives - one which is a hot spare. It came with only 2 of Synologies camera licenses but others can be had for as low as $80 each. I LOVE the uint and its software and can easily access it via browsers, smartphone apps, iPads, etc. Lots of Security Cam configurations, notifications, etc.
Jordan77

Post by Jordan77 »

Quattleb

Are you connecting the cameras via NAS or ftp? Anything else to add? I have some cameras on another network I want to back up as well.

Can you play the videos online or do yo download them first? From the synology I mean. Is the security camera software worth it??

Thanks!!
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello quattleb,

Thank you for the info. So do you have it set up and working with Synology?. We have not tested it with the system yet.