Smart Home camera offline

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
honeyhoney1979

Smart Home camera offline

Post by honeyhoney1979 »

At least once every six weeks or so, one or the other of my two smart home cameras will go "offline" .... The last time, both went offline, but it turned out to be an Amcrest server issue. Last night, my deterrent camera ADC2W went offline, and the doorbell is still working. At no time have I lost connection with 4 other non-smart home Amcrest cameras. The deterrent camera is mounted on a soffit, and presents a challenge to routinely access. My question is: when a smart home camera goes offline, is there any way to restore service to it without a hard reset? (I did power cycle to no avail) The error message says "ensure it is powered on and connected to WiFi"... It is powered on and there is no reason it would not be connected to WiFi. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Smart Home camera offline

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is hard to say why it is offline.. While you say your sure there is no reason there are many reasons that a Wifi Device could go offline.. That is one of the main reason that for some people with Security Systems WIfi is a Temp solution for security.. However there are people that Swear by them..

One of the most issues of wifi disconnects is caused by Router looking for a good Ch however if you live in an area where people have lots of devices it could fight for the airwaves.. On my normal Router I have 13 routers in my area 4 of them are mine.. One of my High Power routers I do a access point search and it list 41 devices in my area again 4 of them are mine.. Looking at the 2 top 2.4 wifi in the area they are accessing the same Ch and if I was to do a Auto Ch assignment it will make sure not to load on that CH but the next best..

So first of all When was the last time your Router was rebooted? There are times that a Wifi camera can make your Router upset and it will need a Reboot to keep things happy.. I have 1 Wifi Camera on my Outside Router and when I see the camera go offline more then 1 time an hour I will pull the plug from my POE switch seeing it is powered over POE.. Once it reboots after I restore power on POE to the router it will connect back with the camera and keep good connection for a while.. I found after all times if it goes offline and dont reset router it will have forever offline events until router is rebooted...

So in the end it might be that it was fighting with a different Router for the WIFI ch and a reboot should cure that as well..
Be Safe.
honeyhoney1979

Re: Smart Home camera offline

Post by honeyhoney1979 »

yes, the wifi channels are congested and carrying many devices. I will try the router reboot... Thanks