When will the webview app be updated to support modern browsers?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
RiCK@RCS

Re: When will the webview app be updated to support modern browsers?

Post by RiCK@RCS »

Because of the age of the API, security issues, and adoption of alternative technologies such as HTML5, software vendors began to phase out NPAPI support in 2013.

Internet Explorer versions 3 through 5.5 SP2 supported NPAPI, allowing plugins that functioned in Netscape Navigator to function in Internet Explorer. Support came via a small ActiveX control (named "plugin.ocx") that acted as a shim between ActiveX and the NPAPI plugin. Microsoft dropped support in version 5.5 SP2 onwards for security reasons.

Google Chrome 45, in September 2015, permanently dropped all NPAPI support from all platforms. In September 2013, Google announced that it would phase out NPAPI support in its Google Chrome browser during 2014, stating that "[its] 90s-era architecture has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity". In May 2014, NPAPI support was removed from the Linux version of Chrome 35 and later. In April 2015, Chrome for Windows and OS X (versions 42 and later) disabled NPAPI support by default. However, until September 2015, users could re-enable NPAPI.

Opera dropped support with version 37 in May 2016.

Firefox release 52.0 in March 2017 removed all support for NPAPI except for Flash. Meanwhile, the ESR channel retained general support for this feature with version 52esr being the last NPAPI resort. Firefox 69.0 will disable the Flash NPAPI by default.

Safari has dropped support for all NPAPI plugins except for Flash with version 12 released in September 2018.

cited source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI
RiCK@RCS

Post by RiCK@RCS »

It doesn't seem they even have any official employees reading or responding to their own forum. Their strategy seems to be ignore their users until they get bored and go away.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

RiCK@RCS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 am Revo2Maxx You are incorrect. The camera has not show live video since 2018 when NPAPI plugins were discontinued. There are no up to date browsers still using this out of date and obsolete technology(NPAPI), yet Amcrest still has not rolled out an update to enable live video in up to date browsers. Continuing to say something works when the rest of the world knows it doesn't is not making this company look very good at all. Revo2Maxx, I don't know if you work for this company or not, but I would certainly hope not. I first reported this issue back on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 pm, and six months earlier with a phone call, and today is Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 am, and still this company has done nothing to resolve the issue.
Yeah I am sorry I am lost your saying that there is no Browser that works.... I don't know what your talking about... I have hummm... "You Hope I don't work for them?" NO I don't work for them... I am not sure what your problem is.. I have a 751 that don't get any new FW and I use IE... I can use IE and Sea Monkey and I use the Chrome App.... So the ones that I still get or had the new FW update in 2019 I can use Chrome... So I am not sure why you have such a Hate and like to SPIN things off with False things. I don't know what Software your working with... But if it is Behind times like maybe your stuck in 2018 when you said you first reported this maybe something new is in order.... Up until today when I upgraded all my cameras to 2019 FW I used IE on cameras that had 2017 fw on it or older... Also I used Sea Monkey without issue... About your FALSE BS about Amcrest not doing anything to have the cameras work with updated Browsers again your wrong Spinning lies... 2019 FW updates and all cameras of such work with Chrome with no issues...

Be Safe glad to see you are keeping healthy...
Screenshot (937).png
Screenshot (937).png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3136 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

And well I stand corrected on using Sea Monkey as I have not used it since my last update of the Browser and I just tried to use it and it did fail to load kept asking for a Drive that I try to install and acts like it does but never changes the fact... So I have no issue to admit when I am wrong... No Sea Monkey... I can use Chrome App by Amcrest, and I can still use IE...

Here is one of IE in use right now...
Screenshot (938).png
Screenshot (938).png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 3135 times
Be Safe.
James.S

Post by James.S »

@RiCK@RCS

I am not sure if you have been keeping up with the progress of this on the forum or through our subscription emails. However, we have been adjusting or Firmware from the ground up using JavaScript. There are quite a few models with this Firmware already out available to use. In many cases this allows you to use quite a few options of browsers again. As this is majorly different than our NPAPI plugin we are having to develop and test each camera for this new Firmware and it is taking some time.

We have also tried using HTML5 as many customers have mentioned its viability, Unfortunately on the live view we were seeing a 35+ second lag or more. This is not viable to use at its current state and will look at it when it improves. We are still doing some testing in the office and will be offering BETA access on the forum before it goes anywhere else.
RiCK@RCS

Post by RiCK@RCS »

James.S wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:05 pm @RiCK@RCS

I am not sure if you have been keeping up with the progress of this on the forum or through our subscription emails. However, we have been adjusting or Firmware from the ground up using JavaScript. There are quite a few models with this Firmware already out available to use. In many cases this allows you to use quite a few options of browsers again. As this is majorly different than our NPAPI plugin we are having to develop and test each camera for this new Firmware and it is taking some time.

We have also tried using HTML5 as many customers have mentioned its viability, Unfortunately on the live view we were seeing a 35+ second lag or more. This is not viable to use at its current state and will look at it when it improves. We are still doing some testing in the office and will be offering BETA access on the forum before it goes anywhere else.

Thanks James S:
Glad to see that it's finally being looked at, after years of being ignored.
Please let me know if/when an update is available for the IP2M-841B, and please provide the download URL for the firmware. Going to support/firmware does not offer any downloads, it only asks me to sign up for a mailing list which is not helpful, as it takes me to an external site not owned by Amcrest, and this site has a security warning:
https://www.aweber.com/scripts/addlead.pl
zandrello

Post by zandrello »

James.S wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:05 pm @RiCK@RCS

I am so happy to hear this as well. I have read the docs, watched YouTube videos, everything, and the Amcrest Web View has NEVER worked in my Chrome. I tried the app, it still does not work because Chrome no longer supports NPAPI (for obvious reasons). I can still ONLY use the web UI in Internet Explorer!
PLEASE PLEASE keep working on this Amcrest! The whole web interface needs a total overhaul for modern browsers, so I am SO glad to hear you are working on that. I love your products and want to continue recommending them to other people, but in order for me to keep doing that in good conscience of not causing them browser headaches, you really need to update the Web GUI. Internet Explorer will disappear someday, I'm surprised it even still exists right now to be honest, but it will NOT forever! Especially with the latest edition of Edge now released.
Thanks for your support!
RiCK@RCS

Post by RiCK@RCS »

Another year gone by and still no fix. Amcrest might as well consider this abandon-ware.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Most cameras that they are still supporting with FW updates have been updated to Support Chrome.. So sadly if your camera is no longer support with FW updates there is no info about Legacy Products being able to support Chrome or other Browsers..

If you have Legacy devices and want to view your cameras in 1 place Install ASP.. Don't have to use the PC-NVR but if you wanted to that is an Option.. ASP is like having a NVR on your computer in software form... I use Chrome for making changes in my Cameras if I need to sadly can't view footage on the ones no longer supported I can change settings using chrome.. So if you don't have a NVR or DVR with IP channels ASP ...
Be Safe.
kbeckman

Post by kbeckman »

Try 'IE Tab" on Chrome. It'll use you IE 11 plugins within Chrome. It even allows me to view the few ActiveX cameras that I have.

You actually use the internet options in IE 11, and set them up to access your cameras, and then when you open a IE Tab URL in Chrome it will utilize those settings and plugins.