ip2m-841-V3 firmware upgrade worries

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
StratRider

ip2m-841-V3 firmware upgrade worries

Post by StratRider »

This afternoon I received a V3 camera and have tinkered with it and am enjoying how it is acting so far.
I like to keep my stuff up to date but then read the other 7 page (so far) thread on the ip2m-841E models and saw how the firmware seemed to cause a lot of issues with those cams and that you can NOT reflash to an earlier version which causes much concern over upgrading the V3 also.

The V3 is working as expected so far and came with firmware dated 19-09-27 and the newest firmware is 19-11-30.
Like the other thread, the firmware that is currently in the V3 cam is not available for download in case I wanted to go back after the upgrade.
Besides that other thread causing me to worry, I also see that in all of the specs or advertising of the V3 - it no longer points out that this is an auto-tracking camera. THIS makes me wonder if the firmware upgrade removes the auto-tracking too. I was hoping an upgrade would let it move diagonally since it can't do that right now.
We really would like to find a file that tells us what the upgrade is supposed to accomplish.
So until I can hear from others on what it does - I will have to keep the older version.
Any info from folks that have already upgraded would be great. Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: ip2m-841-V3 firmware upgrade worries

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well Cameras that you are worried about is a V1 and V2 of the systems... The V3 is a new camera and it came with the JS update i am going to guess from factory seeing it is a NEW 2019 unit...

So I would guess that the Update is something that you would want to do... When it comes from the factory it will have the starting FW and if there is things that Amcrest felt needed updated that is why there is an update so early in the mix... It might be that one of the issues was the missing Tilt or Pan or maybe something that was overlooked when built...

I guess it might be faster to call and talk with Support or Email them and find out what the update does for the camera and have you tried to do a Factory Reset that might be what is needed to make your features work as you expect....

Wishing 841 normal would have had the updates in the V3... There are things that I feel the 841 is missing and maybe from what it sounds they might be in the V3 however they also removed the inputs and outputs so that is a down side for me anyway...
Be Safe.
StratRider

Post by StratRider »

I saw a "Change Log" for firmware on other Amcrest cams posted in another forum but can not find one for this cam.
Usually it is my preference to read stuff first and then call if I have additional questions.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

No firmware change log has been posted to amcrest firmware download page since 2018. Amcrest policy now is obviously no public change logs. If you saw a recent log somewhere, it must be a secret leaked log. ;)
StratRider

Post by StratRider »

Just to clarify:
I saw a change log recently while reading another forum - it may have been from 2018 for sure.
My only point was in trying to clarify what type of file I was searching for.
I'll go ahead and flash this V3 since it has no diagonal control - hopefully the upgrade will fix that.

Not to change the topic but I am so curious if the only difference in a V3 and a regular 841 is the firmware.
If it wouldn't brick the cam, I'd like to give that a shot. :lol:
The cams are the same price, so maybe they are the same internal mechanisms.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah I am going to go out on a Limb here and say NOT to do that... While they might be kind of the same Camera.. I can tell you that most places of you try and force Feed a FW update to a camera that isn't for that camera and Brick it you will own the camera with no ability to get a replacement...

Also Please note that the 841 while there are some newer hardware out there the Main bones of the sytem came in 2015 So I am going to guess other then a few changes to the hardware like maybe a different Power Regulator or maybe a different way for the inputs to detect things I am going to guess that the hardware has not changed much until a V3 camera came out.. I can almost tell you that it isn't going to be the same hardware... V1 and V2 have a Audio input and output on the camera back and I am sure the Software that translates the Hardware is going to be different and no matter how they are numbered I am almost going to guess that the 841v3 is really not even a 841 at all... However I do own loads of the 841 v1 and v2 so Now I must buy a v3 just so I can figure out what and why...

However if you don't want to paper weight I wouldn't try force flashing the v3 with older FW from an 841 or put the v3 fw on a 841 v1 or 2 because I am going to guess it will FAIL....

However it is your Money and your Hardware and Your Life.. do as you must...

Be safe...
Be Safe.
StratRider

Post by StratRider »

I can see now that I will NOT try to flash this as I tinker with it I find a few differences & some that I don't like.
Overall I do like the V3 as it does a pretty good job of keeping up with my dogs when they are not on a full run.
But, it does not have any zoom on its own and that pesky lack of diagonal travel really bugs me and upgrading to the most recent Build didn't change that. No diagonal travel makes for a very jumpy video when doing tracking.
The power input is a micro USB and I had to get a special splitter for it in order to use the POE switch - but it works great.
I'll be tinkering with the sensitivity and threshold levels today since the bugs at night have it moving waaaay too much. If I lessen those too much, then it doesn't track the dogs in the daytime.
I'll pursue more conversations on what are good settings for auto-trackers and bugs.
Appreciate your inputs @Revo2Maxx