DNS requests - Excessive

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
mkyb14

DNS requests - Excessive

Post by mkyb14 »

Amcrest Team,

I'm seen previous posts about this, and doesn't look like it's been addressed yet from what I can tell.

in a short period of a week or so, I have 33k+ DNS requests for config.amcrestcloud.com ... what!?!

P2P is turned off, there should be no updates reaching out, and yet I'm still seeing requests hammering my home network from the cameras trying to reach out.

Please either fix this or add the ability to turn off all phone home requests. Otherwise, I will rip and replace the 6 cameras and never recommend them as this is a security concern for me and others.
mkyb14

Re: DNS requests - Excessive

Post by mkyb14 »

I'm counting 1 request/second happening from the cameras....

IP2M-844E
IP4M-1025EW
IP2M-841B

config.amcrestcloud.com

There are multiple discussions on this happening since Nov 2016, and it's still not fixed. Can someone please respond with something other than, thank you we are looking into it?
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello mkyb14,

Once the camera is connected for the first time to the internet, it will try to communicate to the Cloud server for two hours and after this it will stop. If the camera reboots it will do this again for two more hours before stopping.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

bw355

Post by bw355 »

Melvin wrote:Hello mkyb14,

Once the camera is connected for the first time to the internet, it will try to communicate to the Cloud server for two hours and after this it will stop. If the camera reboots it will do this again for two more hours before stopping.
Unfortunately, this statement is NOT TRUE. Mine goes on for weeks and it still tries to connect. I am on the latest firmware and I have done a factory reset after a firmware upgrade. I manually setup the camera from scratch (not importing any saved config file) and mine still tries to connect to config.amcrestcloud.com.

So either Amcrest not telling us the truth or their firmware is buggy. Which is it? I don't know but it's not good.
mkyb14

Post by mkyb14 »

I agree, this is the same run-around Amcrest has been giving for too long now. I'm ripping out every camera I have (6) and replacing them with another brand. I will never suggest this company again for the bad response and addressing the issue that's been going on for a couple years in the forum.
PFM

Post by PFM »

I don't see this issue, based on my Wireshark monitoring, with my IP2M-841W, though the camera seems to send out frequent ARP requests. However, I have other problems with the new firmware, including non-functioning http requests for PTZ motion. Any thoughts on other camera suppliers who provide a published API?
pfrankersons

Post by pfrankersons »

PFM, I've also seen quite a few arp requests with my 2 wireless Pro HD cameras attached to my network. When I ran a wireshark I noticed that my synology nas was also producing a bunch of arp requests along with a wired blu-ray player. The odd thing was that not all my network devices (20+) were producing massive arp requests. So I turned off the following options one-by-one:

Dlink DIR-868L Router:
Multicast
Bonjour
UPNP
Temp disabled all firewall settings
.....Nothing helped
So I turned off all these features on my Cameras and synology nas - made sure they had static IP addresses
.....still nothing worked

Solution to my setup:

DHCP FOR EVERY DEVICE ON THE NETWORK! :o But....I made the router save the IP address for the camera & Nas so on reboots they would always have the same IP address, "forced Static address". I think it is an issue with certain brands of routers/switches(just search 'dlink excessive arp'). I know in my network setup the arp requests would get so bad they would knock off other devices from the internet, like my amazon echo. I still have problems accessing one of my cameras now and then but most of my problems went away.

Hope this helps,

Peter F.