firefox and internet explorer plugins no longer working

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
zeb

Re: firefox and internet explorer plugins no longer working

Post by zeb »

Actually there should be no need for a plugin. Use HTML5 and standard javascript. This would allow your cameras to work in Firefox under Linux too...
RebelRoundeye

Post by RebelRoundeye »

I am beginning to really get tired of this too. Please fix the plug in issue asap.
dingus

Post by dingus »

Melvin, please answer markplewis's question.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello all,

We do apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. Currently it should work on IE and older Firefox version and the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software.

We are indeed working on a permanent solution for the issue but we do not have an ETA at the moment.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

smokeybandit

Post by smokeybandit »

Hasn't Amcrest been working on a modern fix for years now?

While Amcrest continues to push out newer hardware, its software is years behind.
markplewis

Post by markplewis »

Hey Melvin, do you realize that "older Firefox versions" are full of security holes? Did you really just suggest people use old, unpatched browsers. Do YOU use old, unpatched browsers? Do the employees at Amcrest use old, vulnerable versions of Firefox? Yeah, I didn't think so.

"We are indeed working on a permanent solution for the issue but we do not have an ETA at the moment."

You've been saying that for almost 3 years. You're not. It's just more vaporware and empty promises from another iteration of Foscam.
jfriend00

Post by jfriend00 »

markplewis wrote:Hey Melvin, do you realize that "older Firefox versions" are full of security holes? Did you really just suggest people use old, unpatched browsers. Do YOU use old, unpatched browsers? Do the employees at Amcrest use old, vulnerable versions of Firefox? Yeah, I didn't think so.

"We are indeed working on a permanent solution for the issue but we do not have an ETA at the moment."

You've been saying that for almost 3 years. You're not. It's just more vaporware and empty promises from another iteration of Foscam.
I guess it is finally time for us customers to vote with our wallets and rip out all our Amcrest equipment and buy something from a modern software company that can deliver a service in a modern, safe, secure browser and has a track record for doing so. This has indeed been going on for years and Amcrest has proven that they simply cannot develop the proper software to make their service work in a modern, safe browser. It's time for me to start my research and then rip their installation out. A waste of money, for sure, to replace the hardware, but it won't be nearly as hard to replace existing cameras and cables as it was to install everything the first time since I should be able to use all the same mounts, holes and cable runs. Bye, bye Amcrest. You've had three years to fix this and stay on top of evolving browsers and have proven only that you don't even yet have a public schedule for doing so.

Clearly a big mistake to have chosen Amcrest in the first place. It's probably also time to make sure the word gets around that people really shouldn't buy Amcrest any more.
markcm

Post by markcm »

I'm not taking any sides here, just trying to learn a bit.

I configure my amcrest cameras from home on my LAN, wired and wifi. I use either the Amcrest app (I think it's a chrome application), or chrome browser with the IE-Tab add-on and I've recently discovered Pale Moon browser which seems to work as well. I think at one point I used opera browser too.

These all have glitches but for the most part they get the job done fairly effectively. For Surveillance software and offsite viewing, I use my Synology NAS with surveillance station licensed.

Is this approach a security risk?
james_s

Post by james_s »

I set up an Amcrest system at my mom's house recently and was really disappointed to find that I could not even access it using her Linux laptop, I had to install the app on her phone and that works about half the time and fails to connect other times. I cannot even believe that support is going around telling people to use IE or old versions of Firefox, how ridiculous! It's nearly 2018 and Amcrest is stuck in 2005! There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age to not fully support current versions of all major browsers and operating systems. IE is deprecated and dead, it has been dead for years. Plugins should be a thing of the past, HTML5 has been around for years. I was all set to buy a system for my house too but I'll be looking elsewhere if they don't fix this situation soon. The fact that serious issues languish for years does not bode well for this company.
callmemike2000

Post by callmemike2000 »

Any resolution to this yet? The plugin works for me in IE 11, but the "tiles" are all wonky sized and the main camera viewing window is still too big for where it's supposed to sit in the frame and it overlaps most of the controls.