AD410 reboots when doorbell button is pressed

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
kquinnell

Re: AD410 reboots when doorbell button is pressed

Post by kquinnell »

Thanks again for the feedback. I just replaced the wires with new 18/2 wiring (did a mock up indoors) and replaced the transformer. To make sure I did the wiring correctly I tested the doorbell chime by itself by contacting the wires and it worked. When I connected the AD410 it still reboots. Now that I have the AD410, transformer and chime all in the same spot I can see exactly what happens. When the button is pressed the LED circle begins to "spin" for about a second then immediately shuts off when the chime rings. Then it completes the boot up cycle.

At this point I'm 99.9999% sure the problem is with either the doorbell or the chime. I will relay this information to the support.

Thanks,

Kyle
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

I did some more checking measuring the current flow. The AD410 uses about 240mA in the normal state. When I press the button it peaks at 1.7A with the mechanical chime connected. Measuring the chime alone was about 950mA peak.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That is not good. 1.7A is way higher then when I tested mine. It sounds like your Doorbell camera is being shut off by over current event to save it self. However what is odd is that you had said that it only on for very short time after button is pressed and then dies, After a button press the camera is in a Relay state that would not be getting any volts or current at the cameras back pins. It is very strange. I did testing and didn't have any current over 1.03 for a very short time and most times it was 960ma for very short time.

Why it is odd to me is because the 1.7 is almost the max the Transformer is setup for. a 30va 16vac transformer is 1.875amps. So it could be that the Amp meter isn't catching the true peak only the measured peak and that might be why it dies.

By chance is your Transformer one with a Built in breaker/fuse? I mean most of them are to Trip and not reset and some are auto reset. Then there are the plug in types that have 2 pins for connecting the doorbell that might even have a MOV for surge protection as well.

While you said that you changed your doorbell chime because it wasn't listed to the one you have now have you by chance tried the other one you had to see if it works as expected? It might be that your Chime is in need of more power then the Transformer is designed for and or it trips and the Chime Kit notices this and kills power to the camera? I don't know just wondering.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

You are correct on the transformer. 1.875amps is listed on the box. The meter I used is an inline meter to measure the current. When I just measured the chime and rang the bell (no AD410, chime only touching the wires together) the peak current was about 950mA. If I held the wires together it would be steady at about 1150mA. So it seems the AD410 is using 550mA to to 750mA since the combined current of the chime and AD410 was 1.7A. Not sure how fast my meter can capture the peak but those are the numbers I measured. The chime is the Heath Zenith SL-2796 from the compatible list.

This is the new transformer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay ... /309792479

I honestly have no idea what the numbers should be (I didn't expect it to be so close to the the max transformer output though) but those are the numbers. Not sure if damaged chime kit or damaged doorbell would cause higher numbers than normal but I believe the only two things I haven't replaced at this point are the AD410 and the chime kit.

Thanks,

Kyle
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Wish you were local to me, I would lend you a 16vac 45va transformer and check if it's just current hungry, its very strange. Hard part of testing is the 30va power you are using could have different reading then others seeing AC transformers are not a regulated supply. Thanks for taking time to test and report. Now almost seems like supply issue
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

The support ticket resulted in Amcrest sending me a new chime kit. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Kyle
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting looking forward to the update.
Be Safe
mboarman

Post by mboarman »

I'm having the exact same issue. When I manually press the doorbell the camera consistently reboots. I've also replaced the transformer and it did not make any difference. Waiting on tech support to call me back.
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

Got the new chime kit. No luck. Still crashes when the doorbell is pressed.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry to hear that didn't work. I really didn't think that was the issue.

I spent 2 days working on my AD410, I tried to get my system to act like yours. I even at one point thought it died. However after taking it off the Transformer and using my ASH21 Power supply and cable connected to the Usb on the camera and was able to reset the camera back to factory and it is working again. Not sure what happened but it wouldn't come back online before that. I was only able to get it to go crazy Connected to Network. Even left it for a couple of hours and it would just cycle every 5 or 10 min going offline In that mode if I press button it would power cycle only if I answered it if I didn't it would stay online for a few minutes before I would notice it went offline and message that it connected to network..

Had issue when I connect to 2014 POE NVR where it would Power Cycle all the time until I reset it. Made the mistake the first time not to remove from the NVR and after setting up it connected (Because it gets the same IP after install from Router and I use same password as I have been) and not sure what that NVR is changing but it again causes the camera to just go into a boot loop. I mean it comes online shows on screen for a moment and even if I try to access the camera again from the App it reboots.. So not the same as your issue. Couldn't even push the button lol

This Brings me to 1 last thought.. If you happen to be using the same Password every since you have had this issue try a different one. Anything special like !@#$% and the such don't use the same one your using now.. I know that it don't make much sense seeing you can access it however it might have something to do with the Code?

Connect without connecting to anything other then Smart Home App. Reset the Camera, Once you notice it is Resetting, Reset it again before you even setup the camera. I would ask Support if installing FW again even if it is the last one or the current one to see if doing so could cure the issue..
Be Safe