AD410 reboots when doorbell button is pressed

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
kquinnell

AD410 reboots when doorbell button is pressed

Post by kquinnell »

I installed an AD410 almost a year ago and it has worked fine up until recently. When I installed it I also replaced my old transformer with a newer 16v 30vac transformer. I also installed the chime kit. My doorbell is an older digital chime. Recently the AD410 started to reboot itself after each doorbell press. The voltage at the transformer is 17.5v while the voltage at the AD410 is 17.1v. When I press the doorbell button the voltage at the transformer drops to about 16.5v. Knowing that my old doorbell chime was not on the compatible list I replaced it with a Heath Zenith SL-2796 which is on the compatible list. The AD410 still reboots it self after each doorbell press. If I don't enable the chime in the app the AD410 works fine. Could something have happened to the AD410 or the chime kit ? I could replace the transformer but it seems to be working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD410 reboots when doorbell button is pressed

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are so many things that could have happened and seeing I don't know what has been going on it is really hard to say. I can however say that I had an issue at one point where I made some changes because the Website Manual said you could (So I did) and after doing so made it so my camera was very unstable. So after a Reset of the camera I have not made any more changes and I have not had anymore issues with my doorbell camera..

I would say If I was you I would do a Factory Reset using button at the back of the doorbell camera..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

Thanks for the feedback. I have done multiple factory resets, mostly because once you enable the chime in the app there is no way to disable it. I did a factory reset about a week ago and thought that's when the problem started but now that I review older footage on the sdcard I can see it had random issues before that like something was failing. It works fine as long as the chime is not enabled but that is not ideal. Next step might be to swap out the transformer and see what happens. Thanks again.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So looking for more info. 2 Wires from Transformer 1 going to the Camera and 1 going to T on the Doorbell Chime, Then you have another wire from Camera going to F on the Doorbell Chime. Then you have the Chime Kit from Amcrest connected to T and F on the Doorbell Chime?

If that is how your system is/was setup then started having issues I would double check that your system is still within Specs, Length for Wire for Distance of wire isn't damaged or to long.

With the Camera setup without a Doorbell chime there is no need to use the Chime Kit, However it sounds like you want the Doorbell Chime to work and in that case an Chime Kit is needed again that is on T and F. Then where the Camera is connected there should be 2 wires, 1 from Transformer (Second wire) and the other wire goes to F

It could be that the Chime Kit is damaged however if that was the case when you remove the Camera from being used with a Indoor Chime there should be no issue when the Button is pressed because the camera no longer does anything in the back like it would normally when your trying to work it with your Indoor Chime..
20221029_191342.jpg
20221029_191342.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 4055 times
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

Thank you again for the response. I believe your picture accurately represents my setup.

"It could be that the Chime Kit is damaged however if that was the case when you remove the Camera from being used with a Indoor Chime there should be no issue when the Button is pressed because the camera no longer does anything in the back like it would normally when your trying to work it with your Indoor Chime.."

The above statement is true. If I do a factory reset and do NOT set up a chime there are no issues with the doorbell. Only when I enable a chime in the app will the camera reboot itself on button press. The doorbell works fine as long as the indoor chime is not configured.

Also, if I disconnect the AD410 and touch the wires, the doorbell also works fine.

The only things I can do on my end are replace the transformer and possibly replace the wire although that will be very difficult.

Thanks,

Kyle
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So with that I am trying to work out why.

It might be that the Chime Kit is bad? I am not sold on that fact because the camera works and one of the functions of the Chime Kit is to pass the Voltage though the Kit to the camera to power it. So if the Chime kit was bad the Camera shouldn't work unless there is enough leakage voltage that passes though your indoor chime.

Next issue that comes to mind is bad Internal Cap in the Camera. (Also how long do you have your Chime setup for 3 to 10 seconds?) and does it Kill the camera on Every Push of the button? Do you by chance happen to have a Amp meter either Clamp or other? Clamp would be best case.

The only thing and the reason for the last question is that it almost sounds like there is an over Voltage/Current issue going on. (Now with to much over current the Camera will die and there has been a good few of the Ad410 where that has happened. Normally in the Ad110 it would take out the Chime Kit in the Release of the Ad410 they changed a couple of Resistors and now it kills the Power board in the Ad410 and will only work from USB.. On Button press there should be little to no Voltage in the pins of the camera, After the press of the button, the voltage should climb to where it was before pushing the button. The Current however should be around 500 to 900ma and might be as high as 1amp.

I know you said that you replaced your Transformer in your first post. I guess my whole thing is even a new Transformer could be bad and or marked wrong. So what is important is that your Transformer is a 16v 30ma. If your using a 10va that could be your issue and same could be said for 20va. On the best and safe side I would say a 16vac 30va is best bet. Clamp meter for testing would be great

I did some test on some other transformers back with the AD110 and found some issues with lower VA causing low voltage high current issues and same for units tested with 24vac 100 and 50va transformers that would blow Chime Kits.

Now while taking the camera off wires and shorting them in most cases could make the normal indoor chime work even when under sized wire being used. Want to make sure that 18ga wire is used or better, 20 could work if it isn't to long but remember that when the doorbell button is there normally there is no current though the wires until the button is pushed and most times it is very short time. With a Doorbell camera there the wires need to be large enough for a Constant amount of current flowing though the wires for the length of them.

When you have the camera on after some time with it running not just a few minutes but a few hours if you have a busy home might not be able to test however if you were and did, have you checked the heat of the Transformer? Warm is semi normal, Hot to the touch however isn't good.

For me it is strange, I did have my Ad410 shut down on me once or twice and for the life of me out side of the Change in the settings I am not sure what the other issue was? It might have also been related to changing the cameras settings over my ASP, or IP tools. I know for sure one was because I was following what the Online post said from Amcrest that they can be adjusted and do so made the camera very unstable and had to be Reset to cure.
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

For the chime time I have tested with as little as 1 second with my old digital chime and it didn't seem to make a difference. Now I have a mechanical chime installed. At this point it does kill the camera on every push of the button. When I reviewed my sdcard for "calls" I noticed it rebooting randomly starting about 2 months ago. I can tell from the video because the video ends when the button is pressed. Seems like it became gradually worse over the last 2 months. When I did the factory reset about a week ago is when it started happening every button press.

I do have a multimeter I could test current with. I could test the current on button press but of course as soon as I press the button the doorbell reboots and the chime stops. The transformer is a 16V 30VA and was new about a year ago. I will probably try swapping it out tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

I did measure the wire and I believe it is 20 gauge. I would guess the wire distance from the transformer to the chime is about 30 feet with the doorbell being in the center.

The transformer definitely gets warm but not too hot to touch.

I'll have to look in the attic to see if replacing the wiring is feasible but I would definitely go with 18 gauge if I was able to replace it. For now I have the indoor chime disabled.

Thanks again.

Kyle
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Is there by chance any 3rd party program connected to your AD410? I ask, if you do that you disable the 3rd party programs connection to the camera, Then do a Factory Reset, then using Amcrest Smart Home App setup again to your Router. Then for some testing time don't connect to any 3rd party software or hardware. Once the camera is setup to the app and router. Give it a short time to settle. About 10 min to 30 min later test the cameras ability to have the button pressed.

To be honest 30 feet on 20 ga wire should be fine. If your camera is connected using Wire Nuts I would double check them as sometimes they might not be connected right and only getting a very small part of the wire

Here is why I ask about 3rd party hardware or software, I connected my doorbell to an older NVR and I didn't make any changes in the settings of the Doorbell camera however the NVR did on it's own and because of that change the camera became very unstable. Hearing it Connect to network and all the crazy that goes with it. I did a Reset and for a while I didn't even connect it to my Amcrest NVR's just to make sure that it wasn't going to have same issue over time without a connection.

Attic? What is the current weather in your area? Fall, Summer? I know you said that your Transformer was warm to the touch and that is really what we want. I mean it is the natural part of a Transformers Step down as it produces heat. If it was hot enough to burn you then there is something wrong and was why I ask. If the cables are running in the Attic I hope they are copper and not cca or something other then copper as heat can affect resistance in wires like CCA in the heat of an attic.
Be Safe
kquinnell

Post by kquinnell »

I have experimented with my Synology NAS and had read in another post that the NAS can affect the settings. I have the NAS disabled now though and have had it disabled since the last factory reset. Every time I change something to test the indoor chime I have to do a factory reset to remove the chime if it doesn't work.

It's Fall, starting to cool down now. The wires are solid copper.

I really want it to work so I will probably do whatever it takes in order of ease. I would really like to replace the wiring which should be relatively easy except the last 10 feet from attic to doorbell. Might try transformer today.

Like you said, it does seem like a power issue either my wiring, transformer, doorbell, or possibly chime kit. That and the fact it seems to have slowly happened over a period of a few months.

I had found this previous post and was hoping bobthebuilder would respond since his issues sounds identical to me. It's not clear if he has fixed it or not.

https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-smart ... tml#p39805

I was even thinking of rewiring it with new wire running inside the house to see if that fixes the issues. That would let me know if replacing the wire in the attic would work or not.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is really strange to be honest. I mean it almost sounds like the camera might be damaged within the Power Board of the camera. I say this because with all the testing and factory resets that have been done there is only 1 Constant and that is that when you connect to a Indoor Chime the camera becomes unstable. However when in Stand Alone mode it works just fine. Now I will admit my older Ad110's that I have connected to a doorbell Chime and 1 transformer I notice that when I remove from power the loss is almost instant. Where before there was some storage time where the camera would/could take a good minute before it would go offline. If I added back power before that time there would be no Connected to Network. So I would need to check to see if internal Caps are bad on the Ad110 there are 2 and on the Ad410 there is 1. However pressing the button plays the 7 second and 3 second tone set..

So I don't have any Paper work on the camera or the Design of it. Wish I did I might be able to figure out what might be wrong. What is odd is that when the button is pressed the camera using a Circuit inside switches on a Relay that then makes the voltage transfer to the Indoor chime. Yet in this mode the camera crashes and you said the chime turns off. This almost sounds like the Cap isn't good anymore at the Least to some other internal Power board circuit damage. Part of the Design of these is when the button is pressed there is enough Voltage to keep it going until power is restored upto 10 seconds
Be Safe