Motion Detection Issues

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
steve6341

Motion Detection Issues

Post by steve6341 »

I recently purchased the AD110. I am overall pleased with features and performance but I am experiencing a very annoying issue with motion detection. I have had the unit for a little over a week. It has yet to record or notify me when a person comes to my front door. I have adjusted the the motion detection grid. I have checked the motion schedules. I have tried all of the motion detection range settings from 1 to 6. I have hard reset the unit. I have tried 3 different micro SD cards. At the moment I have everything at factory defaults and have confirmed all of the above. This afternoon I watched (from a window) a UPS driver walk up to my front door, stop, bend down and place a package, stand up, do something on his electronic clipboard, and walk away... all within full view of the AD110. It captured nothing. In the week or so that I have had this camera it has recorded cars and birds but not one of the 10 or more people that I know have walked up to my door. In fact, as I am typing this, my wife walked out the door to get the UPS package and the AD110 did not capture it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I have a defective unit that needs to be returned? It is running the latest firmware (R.20200922) and I have read some posts that some people are experiencing problems with that firmware - is that the problem?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Motion Detection Issues

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the Forum

Well it seems to be an issue on both sides of the Spectrum... My camera had nothing but False alarms after the update. did a Reset a few times and then the false alarms went away for a while.. Or it really might have been I turned off notices as I am not sure anymore I do reset it a lot because of Testing or other things I do that need resetting.. After the last reset to move one of my doorbells over to 12v DC power with no chime setup. I was only getting false alerts at night when a Truck or SUV that was just the right height would set off the system from the lights on the auto..

So I am not 100% sure really why something happens the way it does within these doorbell cameras. .I am guessing from when using mine if I am in the app looking at the camera or some other function within the app I don't get alerts that someone has come into the motion grid area..

Now another thing if your having a lot of alerts that are not humans I would double check that your grid is in the right area for the camera.. I would keep it to a lower count closes to the door and leave the far away things out of the grid.

Last thing, I would Remove it from all Devices, (Don't have it on Blue Iris, NVR, DVR, or any other software or hardware), Do a Factory Reset, Remove the camera from your Phone, (All phones) then Reboot the phone. Then once the phone is back up bring up app, click the + to add the device on the Smart Home App. Once you have it added give it a minute to stabilize. Then after a few minutes go test to see if it is working with the phone in standby or doing anything outside the Amcrest Smart Home app..

The one thing I did notice when I have the app open and someone presses the button I get the Call screen instant no having to look around for it..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
steve6341

Post by steve6341 »

Thanks Revo

To be clear, I am not complaining about false alarms. If I get the AD110 working correctly I don't intend to get all of the motion alerts on my phone. So I would prefer to catch more video, not less. I am not too concerned with the recordings that are not humans, but I want to get the humans too :D - I currently miss nearly everything that happens right at the door. Also I do not have the AD110 connected to anything else such as an NVR or DVR.

I will try following the reset procedure you outlined. Although if that actually makes the AD110 work as expected it would concern me that the camera is so inflexible.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@steve6341 - Huh, now that you mention it, I haven't received a motion alert in the past several days - only doorbell push alerts. I'm walking back and forth in front of the doorbell now - nothing. This was working fine.

So I fired up an event watcher app that lists every event the doorbell issues in real time and found something very odd. The doorbell PIR is recognizing the body (heat) movement and issues an Alarm event but NO associated call notification (aka ProfileAlarmTransmit event). So that's why the SmartHome app isn't notifying of any movement - it never receives the push notification. The push notification is only working for doorbell press. Just did a reboot - it didn't help. I'm not going to do a factory reset.

So lets hear if this is a wider (server-side) issue affecting anyone else and/or raise a support ticket with Amcrest.

Also, since you recently purchased the AD110, consider returning it for the AD410. Reports are that you can disable raw motion detection and rely on human detection which is working well - plus get a taller view that can show packages at the door.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

As a followup, I submitted a support ticket asking if this was a known wide-spread issue.

BTW - I just now found that the SmartHome app was updated May 11 to support the AD410. My suspicion is this update or other server-side changes broke AD110 motion alerts somehow.
steve6341

Post by steve6341 »

Thanks for the responses Gary - I'm not sure my issue is necessarily server-side though. My AD110 is not recording any events on the SD card. I'm not sure that this function depends on any cloud servers or having internet access. I could be wrong about that. Either way as the afternoon wears on and I have no new motion events in more than 3 hours its looking more and more like my AD110 is going back to Amazon. I did another reset following Revo's instructions as closely as possible but the AD110 is not reliably capturing motion.
tgfarrell

Post by tgfarrell »

My camera (running the 702 firmware) misses movement alerts. Especially for deliveries. I suspect the drivers either intentionally or unintentionally are doing something to inhibit the doorbell using the wireless, but thats jus a WAG on my part. I know my wife and I have gone out the door and sometimes theres no notification in the app. Its happening more often now.

Still, I'm happy enough with it for now. I wish it could instantly push the image to the app and have it popup in the phone when the doorbell is pushed. By the time I try to look and answer the door, most folks are walking away. But thats a different thread on here I suppose.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@steve6341 - I am getting video motion events recorded on the NVR but I'm not getting any motion events recorded on the AD110 SD-card either (unless the button is pushed). Local recordings and push notifications occur concurrently and not independently. It almost acts like the call notification switch is being treated as disabled, even though it's not.

BTW - there was a bug in an earlier firmware that when call notification was turned off in the SH app, it was ignored and still sent notifications. Just saying Amcrest devs have struggled with this before and the AD410 updates may be the cause.

Even though I don't think there is anything wrong with your AD110 hardware and that this is probably an app or server-side issue, I would send it back and get the AD410 or maybe the Lorex 2K. Read the reviews.

EDIT: Just got a reply from Amcrest support asking me to reinstall the app and factory reset. They did not answer my question if this was a known wide-spread issue and just pulled out their shotgun answer instead.
ruizra

Post by ruizra »

I installed a AD110 door bell camera a few weeks ago. Initially all functions were working, including motion detection. It worked for less than two days. Then, no more notifications are received and nothing is recorded in the SD card. I removed the camera from the app, set the device back to factory conditions, and placed back in service. The motion detection and notifications worked for a few hours only. I have done the same procedure two additional time with the same results. Will appreciate any advice to make it work. Thanks.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@ruizra Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Personally I would remove the Micro SD and install a different one and see if it is MSD related. Outside of there are a good few factors that could cause the system not to record.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe