chime kit wiring

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Ray308

Re: chime kit wiring

Post by Ray308 »

Costs are not to bad, I have a business and postoffice costs are manageable ;-). But ok. I'ff you ever need one, just ask.

My 'small' remaining problem is that I cannot find a transformer that is on 16V Her in the Netherlands there al 4, 8 or 24. Somehow 16 is missing.

I tried the option that was mentioned in this thread, to connect the 8 and 24, but this didn't work.

Any idea how I simple can check the voltage with a mutlimeter?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Using a multi meter set to Volt ac setting using probe in screw hole for voltage should give the value on meter display..

Guess what is important is what voltage does your chime take? If 8v then you could power camera with 24v use a relay to supply the 8v to your chime..

Wish I had some place to buy Zout or DZ, and griotten licorice local. Been about 12 years since my last Dutch Lucorice haul lol
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Ray308

Post by Ray308 »

My chime is max 16 (and is now on 24) that probably explains the humming. I'll try the relay option.

Typical Dutch threat ;-). along with some others.. I can't have it because on medication for high blood pressure. (i't very very good stuf, but very nasty for your blood pressure ;-) )
Ray308

Post by Ray308 »

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome Thanks for the Links.

I am going to guess that it is infact the issue. However my question is what was powering the Doorbell before now? If it is an 8v to 16v with that being max yes that would be the issue. So a 24vac Relay for Din Rail is only about 8 to 15 bucks USD. Maybe 7 to 12 Euros. ON the relay there will be 8 tabs 6 going 1 way and 2 another if you look under the relay in the mount. The 2 that are larger and going the other way should be the Pair closest to the Din peg. Anyway that is where the 24vac power for the camera goes.

Well while I was writing this I thought I would just make a fast and dirty Video of what I am talking about.. This video don't show using 2 different power supplies but it is very simple if you understand how a doorbell works on how to input the normal voltage transformer for your doorbell to work. In the 2 wires going to my just switched output is where you would connect the 8v to your doorbell. When the button is pressed it would then make that connection in the relay that is normally OPEN to CLOSE and move that voltage from your 8v to power your doorbell using the Digital chime in the app to setup how long you want the relay to latch..

When the video is done uploading to my Channel I will post the link under here. It isn't very long and is unlisted so only way to get to it is from a link here..
https://youtu.be/CTzPqyFiOFc
Be Safe
Ray308

Post by Ray308 »

Thanks for the video!

I will give it a try this weekend, I'm not home right now. I let you know how it goes.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah did some more searching and found the doorbell. Now I know why there is so much issue with the setup..

OF and T3 are the ones that should be used. They are the ones that are connected to the systems plunger motors. The other terminals are blanks and can be used in connection with the unit. Because of the wiring and the person first post to the thread having the left side crossed out that is really the Terminals that should be used

Even with all that there is like 50 different types of doorbells that could be setup with that thing. There is one that is like the one you offered me and has a Built in Transformer area or batteries.

The one you offered me. That one with batteries installed could be used using Terminal 0 a 1 and the Video that I did with my Relay would work the doorbell for you just like that without having to worry about powering with 8v..

So before all this trying to be setup with a doorbell, One of the Versions as I said above, Has a 8v Power Supply in the upper cover. My guess is that the OP when they used that picture in first post it is because they wanted to use a different Power Supply. If that was the case, Removing the 8v one that was there and installing a 16v one would been a better way to go and used the right side setup for making it much easier.

The one you offered looks like a Friedland D230 series from around the 90's.. The other one is harder to pinpoint because there are so many different ones but is around the Honeywell D107 maybe. My guess is because of the 2 different types of transformers in the pictures. So with that said my guess is Battery in the back and maybe that one 1 and 2 are connected some how using the batteries?

So here is a idea. IF you have some Batteries that you can try. Put them in Removing the powered part for the test. With nothing but the Batteries installed using something to touch Terminal 1 and 2 together and see if the doorbell chimes. If it does then using the 24vac transformer you have to power the camera, Setup using a Relay like my video and use the Normally open terminals to go to 1 and 2 of that doorbell in first page of the thread and it will be powered by the batteries. However in truth if you have the 8v transformer you can connect between the OF and T3 using the Relay method and where my Normally open wires just connect the 8v through there to supply the 8v when cameras button is pressed..
Be Safe