chime kit wiring

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
wallace4793

Re: chime kit wiring

Post by wallace4793 »

and more importantly... will I damage my doorbell, chine kit or transformer by getting it wrong?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Wallace4793 Sadly I can't say I know enough about the Type of doorbell that was posted in this write up.. What I can tell you is that in my time dealing with these doorbells I have broke a few Chime kits myself on accident looking at the manual and installing the camera on a 24vac transformer 7 I have repaired now and waiting for the parts to get to me from China isn't fun.. Also one of the Chips on the board is 10 usd each

So the person also posted a part where the manual said no Chime Kit was needed again this is something that I tested and using a doorbell camera as a Stand alone I will not install one for myself or another person without a CHIME kit being installed.. When you do this the Doorbell camera will work without an issue however once the Button is pushed your transformer will hum and vibrate and be very upset that it is being Shorted on the Low Voltage side and at some point will cause the transformer to fail..

Next in the picture in the first write up the poster shows a 2 type install and the one that is X out is the way we do it over in USA. That is Transformer 16vac 30va should be used for installing Amcrest Doorbell camera 1 wire from transformer goes to the Doorbell Switch in this case(Amcrest Doorbell Camera) install on say right peg of camera from left peg of Camera goes to INdoor doorbell chime F terminal wire 2 from transformer goes to the INdoor doorbell chime T terminal and the Chime kit makes a connection at the INdoor Doorbell chime on T and F that is how it should connect.. ALso in the post the picture clearly says 8 to 16vac and then someone posted they going to use 24vac sadly I have repaired enough Amcrest Chime Kits to know that 24vac is not a good idea and if a Doorbell says 8 to 16vac for the power of the doorbell then seeing Amcrest camera doorbell works at 16vac then that is the Voltage one should use...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Hi,

Thanks to your previous help on another post I purchased a 18v 27vac transformer so I’m slightly over on the 8-16 on the chime but hopefully it will be OK. I’ll take your advice about the chime kit and install it anyway - although I’m using a indoor mechanical chime so need it anyhow.

I’ve connected the chime kit across the transformer connections and I hear a very slight hum (I have to put my ear on the chime pretty much to hear it). When I press the button I hear a louder buzz when the connection is made however I’ve tested it without the doorbell, just making a connection with the 2 wires and the same noise is there so i assume this is normal. I’m not sure if it’s worth experimenting with other wiring for the chime kit.

Thanks for the help

John
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I am not sure what your talking about.. Chime Kit while connected to a Doorbell camera

First to be Clear! Your Transformer is a 18vac 27va? so a 27Watt Transformer? (Translates into 1.5 amps)
However if it is 27vac as you said that it over the power rating for the Chime KIT and I am sure the camera will be ok as long as it didn't go over 30vac.. I hope your saying that the Transformer is truly a 18vac 27va..

Second, one of the things that used to happen when people changed up and started to move into a Lite Doorbell switch is there could be on some not all transformer however some of them would cause a slight hum and then when the doorbell is pushed it could cause the hum to get even louder.. At times that had to do with the doorbell being used in truth...

So here is the Theory.. When a Doorbell is connected normally (without a Doorbell camera) there is no connection of power between the Transformer and doorbell until the Button is pushed.. When that is done that AC voltage is now able to make a Connection just like your turning on a Light Switch turns on a light (doorbell is only on as long as your button is pushed) However what it powers is not much more normally then a Coil of wire around a tube spring and a rod when power is applied it pushes the rod or pulls the rod depending on system and spring helps make the sound when the button is released... So you Push button that rod is pulled into the tube, compressing the spring when button is released that power is removed that that rod is released and that rod then goes up and hits a note bar..
However most times if that button is pushed to long in a since all the power is used in the Doorbell and then the transformer can start to HUM because in a since it is now causing a short same thing that happens if you were to use the dOorbell camera without a Chime KIt the Transformer would Hum when Button is pressed... However the Chime KIT is like a Suppresser and absorbs the voltage and current and shouldn't make the transformer hum
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Yes sorry my transformer is 18vac 27va and the chime kit is connected to the indoor mech doorbell. I worked out how a traditional chime works looking at the diagrams. I just wasn’t sure if the very small hum is normal and whether I need to adjust the chime kit wiring - it seems to work as expected as you suggested with the kit across the transformer. As long as my camera (which I imported from the states) isn’t damaged I can live with a £13 indoor chime going at some point.

John
Last edited by wallace4793 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Na it should be ok.. As long as things are working you should be ok.. So is the hum in the Transformer or the Doorbell? Some doorbells have a issue even with the Chime Kit installed because they are such low current to make them work normally that the little bit of Current that is going though when the Doorbell camera is connected in a since it is making the rod move in up and down motion as the AC voltage goes from 1 phase to the other.. At times for the ones that cause the doorbell to Ding every so often to just very loud hum a 25 to 50W Resistor 10ohm would be needed however not sure what it is that is humming at this point..
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

The hum is in the indoor doorbell, not the camera or transformer... I haven’t heard any noise from the camera or from the transformer (it’s a plug in psu). The sound is like a pulsing noise but very quiet... you would never hear it without your ear pressed against it.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Oh ok.. Yeah that is the pulsing voltage that is passing though the system.. Other then that when you press the button it Rings your Bell, and alerts your phone as expected?
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Hi James - yes it does. I’ll run all the cables at the weekend and Install :-)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

wallace4793 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:18 am Hi James - yes it does. I’ll run all the cables at the weekend and Install :-)
Curious if you got this working?

I'm in the UK (with the same wiring as the OP) and not having much luck getting the internal chime working

Revo2Maxx wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm So here is the Theory.. When a Doorbell is connected normally (without a Doorbell camera) there is no connection of power between the Transformer and doorbell until the Button is pushed.. When that is done that AC voltage is now able to make a Connection just like your turning on a Light Switch turns on a light (doorbell is only on as long as your button is pushed) However what it powers is not much more normally then a Coil of wire around a tube spring and a rod when power is applied it pushes the rod or pulls the rod depending on system and spring helps make the sound when the button is released... So you Push button that rod is pulled into the tube, compressing the spring when button is released that power is removed that that rod is released and that rod then goes up and hits a note bar..
However most times if that button is pushed to long in a since all the power is used in the Doorbell and then the transformer can start to HUM because in a since it is now causing a short same thing that happens if you were to use the dOorbell camera without a Chime KIt the Transformer would Hum when Button is pressed... However the Chime KIT is like a Suppresser and absorbs the voltage and current and shouldn't make the transformer hum
Hoping you can explain as I'm a little confused about how the chime kit makes the indoor chime work. Does it somehow link (wirelessly) back to the Doorbell to know when to un-supress the voltage and make the indoor chime activate?
Last edited by Archimedes on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.