Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
GaryOkie

Re: Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

Post by GaryOkie »

Our understanding is the update has corrected the issue with the doorbell not being able to connect when AWS changes IP's. Now, that's not to say that something else could come up that would cause it to go offline again en masse or solo.

I don't think we'll see a repeat situation that would force a factory reset to recover from being offline.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

For anyone who has already updated their AD110 to the latest firmware, you can ignore this post.

For others, who have held off the firmware update for a bit, then you may be offline again (like me!). The original AWS/SmartHome IP's that were working (34.100.92.115 &50.19.133.142) are no longer responding on port 15301.

The new IP's that dms.zencamcloud.com changed to on June 30 (3.210.92.130 & 35.168.244.201) are working. So if you did a factory reset prior to June 30 to get back online or used the iptables hack with the original IP's then you are likely offline now. Adjusting iptables (and deleting the original rule) is what I needed to do.

I'm away from home and not about to update the firmware until I get back in case things go south and need to reset it.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So for anyone that is at home and Able to Update your FW I would to make sure you don't have to keep making changes to your Tables... After my Reset and FW update my camera has been working well without issue.. For the others that have been away and had to do what GaryOkie has giving as a work around maybe he will keep you all updated to IP needed.. I think I mentioned this would or could be an issue once the IP that were working cycle out.. Glad he was able to update everyone as mine is working with no issue so far...
Be Safe.
tgfarrell

Post by tgfarrell »

Finally did the hardreset. The app sucks, I had to delete from my Samsung J3 android phone and reload it and do it all from scratch. Very painful, took almost an hour to sort thru it all and get the firmware updated. I hope this is the end of this nonsense.
rd988

Post by rd988 »

Mine has been offline again since yesterday. Terrible..
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well sounds like you didn't update the FW and if you did update the FW it is still stuck without a Reset on the old FW where it is cycling out IP's every week.. My Doorbell Reset on 2am last night as it is in FW to do and my System is still up and working without fail after the reboot...
Be Safe.
rd988

Post by rd988 »

What ver are you on that's working? I was last on 1.000.00AC004.0.R.20200702
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well that is very odd to say the least because that too is the one I am on! So then the question is did you do a Button Factory reset after you did the Firmware Update?

While it is a PITA to do a Reset I am going to guess that for some reason your FW while it has the new software loaded it has not started really using the software and needs to be reset for it to start...

Please note that I had to do a reset 2 times first time it was like it was still on old software, I press the reset, then once up I press hotspot and setup.. However that wasn't when it started working right.. When it started working was after the Second time, and this TiME I couldn't just do an Hotspot it wasn't letting me just add it back for some reason so I had to remove it from the APP before I could setup the camera.. That time it also made my Camera go back to normal Color as well and not Just GREEN...
Be Safe.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Personally, I would avoid suggesting doing a factory reset until the offline issue was diagnosed. I would also suggest trying a simple AD110 reboot via the SH app if online, or a power-cycle via circuit breaker if offline if it is behaving strangely.

To diagnose what server the AD110 is attempting to connect to is done by connecting to the router and examining the netstat TCP connections. Look for the AD110 IP in the list associated to port 15301. This will show you which AWS SmartHome server it is trying to connect to. Compare that IP with an nslookup dms.zencamcloud.com to see if it matches.

If it matches one of the IP's this dms host resolves to, then either the server is temporarily not responding on port 15301 (unlikely if no one else is reporting offline) or there is some other Internet connectivity issue possibly unrelated to any AD110 problem.

If the IP doesn't match, and is actually one of the old now obsolete IP's from a few weeks ago that the new firmware was intended to resolve, then that suggests the firmware update process is wonky and unreliable. This would be the only situation I would agree to a factory reset if a reboot didn't clean it up.

It would also be very interesting to see a config.backup created to compare how the new firmware identifies the "DMSS" SmartHome server. In the old firmware, it looked like this:
  • "DMSServerAddr" : "dms.zencamcloud.com",
    "DMSServerIP" : "52.3.69.209",
    "DMSServerPort" : 15301,
    "Enable" : true,
    "Online" : true
What does this section look like now in the new firmware? Can anyone share?

EDIT: I realize that not everyone will have the capability to examine specific network connections on their router. Just hoping that this can serve as a general diagnostic guide for anyone having the app show "offline" on what they can look at before resorting to a reset.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

here's what my config backup shows:

Code: Select all

"DMSServerAddr" : "dms.zencamcloud.com",
"DMSServerIP" : "3.210.92.130",
"DMSServerPort" : 15301,
"Enable" : true,
"LogMaxSize" : 100,
"Online" : true,