Newbie question how to connect NVR

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Joah

Newbie question how to connect NVR

Post by Joah »

I have been using SmartPSS on my notebook and I hoped to upgrade to an NVR to free up resources. Using power of IP cameras (Duhua). I recently purchased these two items, can someone tell me how can I connect them together?

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/wp-content ... 01_004.pdf

And the camera is:https://www.uniview.com/Products/Camera ... cification

Sincerely,

Joah
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question how to connect NVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Welcome to the forum

Not sure why your asking your Question in the Amcrest Forum.. Your Products from what you used before SmartPSS and your 16ch DVR and your Uniview camera are all from companies outside the Amcrest Family...

Your 16ch DVR has what is called IP channels.. I have different kinds so I am not sure what one yours is like.. However it could be the type that you Give up 2 BNC in your case 16 and 15 and that will give you 2 IP channels.. Or maybe it just is like my AI DVR where you just click on the IP and it unlocks that many IP channels so in my case my AI DVR is 8ch. If I don't want to use it as a AI unit I can turn it into a 16ch.. Either way you will need to setup your DVR connected to a Router or Switch, Then once you have it connected you will then need to connect your camera, Log in, If your Camera is ONVIF then it should be able to be found from the DVR's Camera menu where you switched over to IP. Doing the search should give your DVR the info for the camera click add, then it will come up and say that the password is wrong. THen change you will see a Pencil where the camera search is for that camera, Click that and then change the password to reflect the one you setup for the camera..

Out side of that I can't help you any more, Don't know the hardware. YOu might be better off asking in the USA Dahua Forum or a Uniview Camera forum.. I don't know either of the products you listed only going off how my system needs to be setup using a 3rd party ONVIF camera on my Amcrest DVR or NVR that I own...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Joah

Post by Joah »

Ok thank you so much for your help, I have a power of ip switch, so maybe I should connect these items all together? I am tech savvy and old school from the floppy days so I stack everything one at a time, in this case making one purchase at a time and hobbling my way through time! thanks again
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not sure I understand..

So What you need to do Step by STEP...

First, Setup your Camera (Idon't know the camera so I don't even know it will work) If it is a IP camera and offers ONVIF then you should be ok once setup (Write down your cameras IP address)
Second Setup your Dahua DVR.. Once setup, Right Click the screen pick Main Menu, Then Pick Camera, Then on the left side if there is an area that says Choose Camera Type, This will bring up a menu where you will Choose BNC, UTP and or IP. Normally the option for IP is last 2 channels on a 16ch it can be last 4 channels. However depending on the Model some can be turned into a FULL IP unit making it a NVR.... If you are working with 1 IP, Choose 16, then change to IP. The DVR will Reboot. Once it reboots right click and go to camera, Device Search. It will or should list your UNIVIEW IP camera, Add it, it will say Wrong Password by showing a Orange Triangle if you click that it will say Wrong password, CLick the Pencil, change the Password to the right one save, Now that Triangle should go Green DOT... Click live view at the top and click on the IP channel.. If your in 16ch View Right click, Choose Sequence now drag the channel 16 camera to ch1 then click apply this will now make your live view show your CH16 in your CH1 space...

Without knowing what model 16ch DVR you own I can't help with more details.. Something to note not all camera will work with Dahua or amcrest DVR in Motion mode if that is your case after you setup your HDD to record Motion and you setup your zones if it don't record motion then you will need to make sure you setup for Record full time to make it record...
Be Safe
Joah

Post by Joah »

Thanks again for your reply, I truly appreciate the step-by-step notation. I will be trying set up sometime this week. Should I be purchasing a special wire or adapter to connect the camera to the NVR? The IP camera has a cat cable to connect to the PoE but the NVR has only one ethernet port and has 16 coaxial connections. This is the part I'm confused about, is there an adapter required to connect the cat cable?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

GRRR.. I had typed all this up and screen reset on me because I didn't have Remember me turned on lol.. SO I am going to make this really SHORT not going to type all that out again...

POE Camera if your camera has a Power Plug as well look at the data sheet for it and find out what power it needs. If there is no extra power plug you will need a POE Switch or POE Injector.. This will be connected to your network on one side and the camera on the other... The DVR will also connect to your network as it normally would, then you would do as I said in my text above with your DVR...

However if your DVR isn't really a Dahua 16ch with IP ability then you would need a different Recorder and might as well just buy a POE NVR... However if your DVR is it would look like one of these 2 pictures.. Top one is of an OLD Dahua 8ch with IP turned on ch8 and 7 the second picture is a Amcrest AI DVR with IP off but has the ability to have 9-16ch IP if I didn't want the AI.. Also if I turn on IP I could have it setup with 16ch IP only...

Showing these 2 and I have more however others just look like these,, Again top one older so showing with Older FW and bottom Amcrest one is newer with the 4.0FW look...
21.06.2021_13.20.29_REC.png
21.06.2021_13.20.29_REC.png (62.92 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
21.06.2021_13.21.51_REC.png
21.06.2021_13.21.51_REC.png (59.74 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So yes the DVR that you posted in your first link says it is a 16ch DVR with 8ch IP ability.

HOWEVER you need to keep something in mind when your setting up your DVR seeing it is an older AI dvr with Face Detection as well. The thing you need to understand is that if you turn on the 8ch IP like my AI DVR you will not have the ability to use any of the IVS or Face Detection on the dvr. So if that is something that you plan on using you are going to want to leave your IP Channels off and access them in a different way. Maybe using the SmartPSS if they connect with it I doubt the Uniview line up will. Maybe they offer their own type of Desktop Monitor software. Like SmartPSS and Amcrest ASP, or my other Hikvision hardware I use IVMS4200..

The trip wire, intrusion, scene change and take and leave options are on your recorder it says, Also keep in mind that if your looking for Face Detection option you will need to plan your system to have that camera on CH1 that is only channel that features works on.. That is an older DVR with some nice features. I say old because it only offers the H264 and H264+ options. The newer ones have H265 and H265+ features longer time. Good thing about your DVR is that it has 4 HDD slots so you can add upto 4 HDD 8TB each for longer recording times...
Be Safe
Joah

Post by Joah »

ok well thank you so much again. There is SO much to know about surveillance, I wish I could have taken a couple courses when I was younger! But, I remembered that forums can help, and I might be charming enough to make people respond most of the times. As far as the age of this device, I literally purchased it on Amazon.ca two weeks age, mayb I should return it and get something better?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Don't mean anything about the Age.. Just didn't want you to buy a bunch of H265+ cameras to only find your DVR is only H264+ Tech.. For what it's worth your DVR is High End Advanced Tech... Out of all my other units that is better TECH then even 3 of my H265+ DVR's so please don't take my comment to down play your Device.. However you do have to ask yourself Did you buy the right unit? Here is why I ask!

You start the Thread with you have a 16ch DVR that is in a since a 24ch with IP turned on. However doing so at the cost of loosing the AI tech of the DVR.

Then your camera you have said is a Unitech IP camera! Just have 1 or more then 1? Why Unitech? What is the Options it offers? POE but your using a DVR, now you need Power supply for camera, need Switch or Injector or some way to power the camera

Then without knowing what the TECH is sure you will not miss having it so Turn on the IP Channels however then not sure the IP camera will even work with the Motion of the DVR to trigger motion events, so then it would need to be Full time Recording...

Amcrest cameras would work with your DVR in IP or analog mode with motion.. However a normal 2mp Max camera BNC camera would be best for your DVR to use the unit at it's fullest...

People ask me all the time why I have cat cables with my BNC cables when my cameras work on BNC mostly that is because I want to upgrade to IP I can also lets me use the Cat cables for my PTZ cameras or cameras with Alarm in and outs.. Again why buy something and not use it at its fullest...

Edit: So reading the DVR's Tech Specs better.. It looks like BNC is 2mp Max and IP is upto 5mp.. SO if you want or need a higher Res then 1080p for BNC maybe a newer unit is the best way to go. That unit is still a High End advanced Tech Recorder.. Not sure how the 4mp Uniview will do with it. I am sure it would be fine if the Uniview works on other units over motion some do some don't.. If Full time only recording is ok then it will be ok. Again using the UNIVIEW camera will disable your DVR's AI ability...
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also looking at the Dahua Wiki they have it looks like that Model went EOL last year.. They do have a suggestive replacement model if you were looking to stay with Dahua Brand.. YOu can find your DVR's info https://dahuawiki.com/USA/HDCVI/DVR/Pro/X24A3L

Hope you find what your looking for..
Be Safe