Adding cameras using POE switch...?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
gsucci

Adding cameras using POE switch...?

Post by gsucci »

Hi,

I have a NV4108E-HS with 8 ports in the back, and has been working great, with 5 cameras directly attached to the it.

Now I bought an Amcrest POE Switch, and I am trying to get additional cameras (no more than 8) to the system, but I can make it work.

I attached the switch to the router (uplink port), then a couple of POE cameras to it.

The NVR (attached to the same network) does not find the cameras.

Is my NVR compatible with the amcrest switch?

Can't I mix and match cameras directly attached to the NVR and cameras attached to the switch?

thanks

regards

gio
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Adding cameras using POE switch...?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting. While I do have a 8ch POE NVR sadly it is the model before your HS. My HS is a non POE 2116 model.

So on my POE NVR I can connect both front side and back side. However I know there are some models that Say won't work with Wifi and I am not sure if that means just that it don't have Wifi Built in or if that really means that it won't work off the NVR Ethernet port side..

Now there is something you need to be aware of. say your NVR is 10.0.1.65-xx for your NVR POE side, your network NVR side would be what ever your Network using like 192.168.0.xxx and as such when your network POE switch is connected you will have to pull in that type of IP and that is how it works on mine.

So while I can't say that I have a Amcrest POE Switch, I do however have a few Switches 2 are 24 Port POE with one being POE+ and a Giga Switch. However on my Switch I have 12 ports that are POE and 12 that are not on both of them. So something I did once while I had a FW that didn't let Audio in via the Normal Network port was I patched a cable from my Switch to the back side of the POE NVR and was able to bring in my cameras over that cable so the Audio would work, they were not even POE. I even (not that I can say this works for all of them) but my 4108E let me move more then 1 camera on just 1 cable. While I wouldn't try to use a POE port to a poe port I did use as I said a non poe port of my Switch to my POE of the NVR without an issue. Seeing the Method of POE ports only supply power when it detects that power is able to run. That is why I wouldn't try POE switch port to POE NVR port just saying...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so I thought I would Expand on the Back and Front Port IP's..
SO say that your as I said was 10.0.1.xx to xx and the camera you moved off has the IP of that because it was setup for Static sadly that will not work on the front side IP

What you will want to do is make sure you know the IP of the camera your dealing with even able to Log in to the webui with your computer.. Then say your front side camera is 192.168.0.34, When you do a IP search in the NVR that is the IP your looking for Again if you take your Camera to the Normal Network side IP you will need to use one for that side.
Also another issue might be that your uplink port is not needed and the data from the switch is not able to be Transmitted. Like my Switch I don't need Crossover cables or an uplink port because my Switch Automatically notices the type of connection I have and makes that adjustment for me.. So maybe try turning off your uplink if your not able to connect to your camera over your normal Network..
Be Safe.
gsucci

Post by gsucci »

thank you all,
I think I had a faulty cable.

I was able to connect the amcrest switch to my router, and two cameras to the switch, and they work well.

The only little issue is: once the cameras are "found' scanning their codes, each camera becomes a device.
So now I have 4 camera under "NVR" device (attached to the back of the NVR box) and one camera as its own device, and another camera as its own device...

Is there a way to call the switch a device, with those two cameras under it?

thank you!