Viewing nvr hardrive on a pc and how to amplify sound from files

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
RedDirtDog

Viewing nvr hardrive on a pc and how to amplify sound from files

Post by RedDirtDog »

Hi, I have two really important questions I have really valueble evidence. First I have a WD Purple 4tb hardrive that I took out and put a new one in my NVR cuz I know I have valueble evidence on this hardrive and didn't wanna overwrite it so I got a 2nd hardrive so I can still record for the time being. Is there a way I can hook this hardrive up to a pc to view the recorded video?

2nd question I backed up some files on my pc but viewing them with windows media player or VLC media player I cant skip forward, I need to watch an hour worth just to get to the part I need and then i cant rewind it to watch it again. Also is there a good program to amplify the sound on my pc? I could hear it from my iphone in live view cuz it amplifys it so much but I cant hear that same conversation when its on my pc.

Would really appriceate any help, this is very important
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Viewing nvr hardrive on a pc and how to amplify sound from files

Post by Revo2Maxx »

One Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So about removing your HDD and trying to access the Files over Windows isn't going to happen unless you are a person with the software that can tap into the Unix files and convert and play them on Windows..

So if you have something and you remove a HDD something I do when I have something I feel needs to be saved longer then my normal Save time.. I take it remove it and add the name of the device that it was installed in data info about file to be stored reviewed and so on.. I then package it in a Water tight box and put in my Safety Deposit Box at the bank..

However this isn't until after I have made a Copy for back up that I keep on my Person or in my Security Room. Depending on the footage and size it might get its own Drive, or I might add it to another drive with name of event so I know what I will see if I open this file... When I make this backup I will store any data that is important to the event.. It don't matter if this involves casing and then the event I will have it all stored there even if over a few days.. When I store events I take 5 min before an event and 5 min after to make data on said event.. That way they can't say They came back a few minutes later to clear up the issue and there was nothing to start any provocation. If an event needs more data I will remove the Drive and install a clear one so the data is there from start to finish without any missing times...

Something you need to know right out of the Gate.. If you have something that is on Audio and you don't have anything posted in your property that you Record Audio and Video then what you feel is important Evidence will become a breach of Contract in a persons ability to have First Amendment to Free Speech and all this data collection might become a Table Weight...

About playing back I would look at Amcrest Smart player However I can playback most of my Exported data over VLC and Windows Media Player with the time bar that I can move forward and back in both programs to the spot I want to play...

I have a total of 11 signs in my homes.. I have 2 different signs here because at this one I am at I also record Audio my Cabin and my House on the West coast only have Video signs.. Also in my Current state there is only 1 person that needs to agree to be Audio Recorded where my other home in the west I would need a Signed statement that they knew Audio Recording was going on if I tried to use any data in court it could be tossed out without consent of being Recorded... Falls under Wire tapping laws... Here there is a Gray area.. Never used Audio anyway Video tells enough at times...

So then you have this.. IF you find out that you live in a state that has laws against your Recordings without signs or an agreement this don't mean you can't use the footage to share with the Law.. Just they can't use it as only means of arrest.. Now I am not a Lawyer I only know what I was told by mine and why I have signs and things that I have for my safety...
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

NO AUDIO
Use VLC Audio tab to see if an audio track was even recorded on backup file. If yes, turn up volume in PC and VLC. If no sound, plug into your PC a good amplifier/speaker with volume control.
Another way would be to extract the audio track with a video editor, and
use Audacity to amplify volume in audio track and add track back to video. That might not work well considering Revo2Maxx's stated legal issues.
https://youtu.be/7T-FSS1RR-M
RedDirtDog

Post by RedDirtDog »

Wish I was a bit more tech savvy lol, thanks revo for the tip about audio needing consent for law, I wasn’t aware of that and sure enough it is here in Hawaii. Jack I just got a speaker with a volume dial on the way too.
I just need to spend more time figuring this stuff out it’s kinda hard for me

Now I have a new problem ever since I put the fresh Drive in I haven’t been able to connect to live view on any pc/iPhones, it just says failed to connect, I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the new hardrive I put in, I’m wondering if the drive could be bad?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

If you need Consent I would check with your local area as a Sign posted in sight of everyone that enters your property can work as Consent but again check with some local to you and if that is all that is needed then Get some Signs...

About the Issues of Mobile Data connections I would check that your system is connected to the Network and make sure that the Cable didn't get damaged when you took out the drive.. Most times the Drive shouldn't cause an issue over WAN connection it would be something you would know right away from the DVR/NVR side...

You will want to make sure that the HDD did get Formatted for your System... Just tossing one in that has never seen a NVR/DVR will most times fail to Record without a Format.. That is because most drives are DOS or Windows format and Recorder needs to Format and mount to Recorder for it to work...

If you don't know where that is.. At the Recorder, Bring up Main Menu then Click on Storage it is bottom icon right, Then it would says something like HDD Manage or management... However oddly my 2116-hs says Channel LOL.. Then you will click the HDD that it should be showing and then click on Format.. Then Apply and Ok then it will pop up and say that the setting will take affect after restarting the device click ok and all should be good...
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm If you have something that is on Audio and you don't have anything posted in your property that you Record Audio and Video then what you feel is important Evidence will become a breach of Contract in a persons ability to have First Amendment to Free Speech and all this data collection might become a Table Weight...
I cant figure out what "a breach of Contract in a persons ability to have First Amendment to Free Speech" means but I do know that the First Amendment doesnt have anything to do with to security recordings or the admissibility of evidence in a court proceeding.
There was some confusion years ago with police unions attempting to fend off the proliferation of videos of police behaving badly. The courts had ruled that trying to apply antiquated wiretapping laws to cell phone videos was an improper interpretation of the law, and that citizens did not require the permission of police to photograph them.

As for archiving your hard drive, you might purchase an inexpensive USB enclosure for the drive you wish to save, making sure that you write-protect the drive if it has the jumpers available for that purpose.
From there it should be a simple matter of creating a duplicate image of the drive or partition you want.
https://www.wikihow.com/Image-a-Hard-Drive

Also this might be a silly question, but did you format the replacement drive in the NVR?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@patric Sorry I don't make the laws I just know I am not paying 250k for breaking them... What you do is up to you but I know as I have been in the CCTV world a long time and have a few homes in different states that have different laws on Video and Audio recording be it your home or office and I know when I had my business Paying up to 500k for breaking that law isn't something I was looking to ever do... Maybe you will find this reading interesting

https://www.protectamerica.com/home-sec ... %20consent.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So did a little more digging and found that there are 11 states in the USA that have laws against Recording and while at first look you would think that it only is about Calls but the Writing is in the statement of Audio Recording Conversation as well.. So it says Recording calls or Conversations.. There is a lot to detail Wire Tapping and why people can record the Police sadly that is an all different Topic
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recordi ... versations
About half way down it details the 11 states that require 2 party consent...

Here is some data from some different States laws on Recording Audio
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/state-law-recording

Another one to add some reading about it not being legal in all places in the USA
https://www.safenow.org/is-it-illegal-t ... ty-camera/
Be Safe.