Any reason a 12tb drive wouldn't work

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
chrispward

Any reason a 12tb drive wouldn't work

Post by chrispward »

I have a Amcrest NV4116E PoE NVR. It says it supports upto 6tb disks.
My question is has anyone tried a large drive (say 12tb).
OS's used to have a limit of 2TB for FAT32 etc.
Nowadays... if an drive supports 6tb, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 12tb.

I know it might have only been tested when it was designed/built and thats the specs that are set... but drives have got bigger and cheaper....

I was thinking of installing
WD Purple 12TB Surveillance Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD121PURZ.. the spec on it vs the 6tb version are virtually identical...

Thoughts please...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Any reason a 12tb drive wouldn't work

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am going to guess a few things here... One it wouldn't work because of the limit on the HDD Controller that is installed in the device don't support it. 2 people have had issues trying to put in a Large of a Known working Drive because of Formatting the Drive...

Then you might get lucky if your system and again I said Might.... If your system was a Multi Drive system it might be able to take the 1 Drive and set it up as 2 drives. Some of my Older DVR's have the Ability for Multi drives. I think if I remember looking at my Manual it said it would do 1 Total or 2 to equal the total size... However one of the limits on doing just 1 over the 2 was it wouldn't do redundant Recordings on the 1 split into 2 but would on a dual drive...
Be Safe.
Z-Man

Post by Z-Man »

I'm late to the party.
My suggestion is to try it. You just never know.
I have an 8TB in mine, and it's working perfectly. It'll be a year in a couple weeks.
https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25329#p25329
James.S

Post by James.S »

@chrispward Amcrest does not officially support it as with drives larger than 6TB we have seen issues start to arise. @Z-Man has seemed to found a 8TB HDD that will function with our NVR. I will speak with the R&D/Testing Teams to see if this is something we can narrow down even more.