NVR screen blanks-out way all too often.

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
bataradena

NVR screen blanks-out way all too often.

Post by bataradena »

I have a refurbished NVR (NV41083-HS) that seem to have a problem with the LCD monitor screen blacking-out for about 2 seconds, excessively way too often. Even when I’m inside the NVR Adim Menu everything I click on, I have to wait another a second or two for the machine to process what I am trying to change, like the “Red-Camera-Trigger-Area” Events. I also “had” a ticket with tech support, which they suggest changing out the poor quality cable I used for a much better quality Ethernet Cable. Well after two day installing the better POE cable I’m still having the same problem. Not as much during simple camera monitoring, but still having the same problem inside the NVR Adim menu. One thing I learn about Amcrest Tech Support they are very quick, with out notice in closing the ticket, even if the problem was not resolved. So, I writing this posting to see if what I am experiencing is normal for having five 4K Cameras tied to the NVR, I am hoping not! Just want to make sure before I summit request for an RMA I have some of your feedback as this is not normal.
Another problem with the Amcrest User Groups, which I still have a ticket open, I’m not receiving any email alert to the any new replies. After four weeks you would think they would have found the solution to this problem..
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NVR screen blanks-out way all too often.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am going to guess you mean your unit is a 4108E-HS sorry I might be wrong but I have not heard of the model you wrote down?

About black screen when in Admin, or at any time don't sound like a Ethernet cable but a couple of things that come to mind. Besides the failing hardware (Aka Bad NVR) in no means am I saying that it is a Bad NVR but was B stock once before...

So the 2 things that come to mind is a Failing Power supply that isn't giving the NVR the power needed to keep everything going well.

second thing is a Bad HDMI cable. This would be the easiest of the 2 to replace and might even have one around the house... If it is long one I would move a Monitor closer and see if a smaller HDMI cable has same issue.. Then Buy new one for the area you are installing it...

Another thing you might try is if you have multi inputs on your monitor you could remove the cable from say HDMI 3 and put it on 2 or 1 and see if that clears up anything as well.

Another thing that you might want to try... As being B stock I wish they would provide the new owner why it failed to start with... However as I was saying might want to Try a normal D-Sub Computer monitor and see if the same issue is going on in there....

One of the problems with B Stock is at times and not saying this is how it works at Amcrest, However at times when something comes in as not working and was returned on RMA, The Company will give to a Test team. They will turn on reset if things are working check little over things. Then in this case it might have been an issue where it takes time, over few different things to make issues happen. However they don't get it that far.. Find the Machine works and after Reset, Repackage of the unit it will get set out for sale as B aka Refurbished and ready for the next person to discover it isn't working right...

This Brings up I guess a 3rd but falls under the Failing Hardware and it could be a Heat cause issue...

So when you bought this was it with or without a HDD? If you had to install HDD then I would take cover off and make sure there is no build up of Dust, Make sure the fan is spinning if it has one, If the fan isn't spinning or is very slowly I would replace the fan... If there is no fan as some units have them some don't and I don't know all the models with or without.. Infact there was another that posted theirs didn't come with a Fan called Amcrest said there needed to be a fan... So they RMA that one and second one they got also didn't have fan... Again Not all of them will have a fan.... However in your case... If yours don't as a way to test if your issue is Heat related is use a fan that you have that could be directed to one side of the unit to push though air to the other side... and see if that cures anything as well. If you have less or no more Black screens then I would put a fan in the unit...

Sorry I am not there so Only can go on Guess Based ideas of what I would assume a issue might be... There are more ideas but them are the only I could think would be related to black screen in menu and happening over and over again...

Let us know what you find out...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So while it is hard to Judge what is going on.. Maybe a 5 minute Video you could post a link to youtube video of your issue... Might have a better understanding what is going on and others that might have had the same issue might be able to help out with a solution... Just an idea...
Be Safe.
bataradena

Post by bataradena »

Thanks for the replies!
Next weeks during Christmas break, I will have the time to try out all your suggestions to hopefully locate or narrow down the root cause to the problem. I did notice this early morning (still night outside) I did not see any Screen Blanking while the POE-Cameras are operating in the IR-Mode. This is very interesting by itself, because before I replaced the POE Ethernet Cables the Screen Blanking seem recurring more off during the nighttime than during the daytime.

I never posted a video to a posting before; I am hoping their info posted or maybe in the FAQ’s.
I'll be posting my finding soon!

Byron in Tucson AZ.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So then maybe I have not understood correctly what is going on... From the last post it sounds like maybe the Screen isn't going blank but the stream from the camera to the NVR is? SO in that case it could be a couple of other things lol... 1 Camera could be bad, 2 Power to Camera isn't good enough, 3 cable to camera could be bad... Or the Connections between cable and camera nvr and cable and camera...

So with all that you said that you replaced the Cable and now issues are more day time... Then that can say the power issue isn't the case because it takes more power to run the Cameras with IR on... The next thing to try is and this is a Idea that I would have tried myself already to be honest. So you may have however that is taking the Cable off POE port and put on a Non POE port and plug in the Camera to it's own Power as most Cameras have a Power connection incase it is needed... If you did plug in a Power Supply and that solved your issue then next thing to try even though you used a New Cable is the Connections on the Cable, Or if they are running to a Plate on the wall they might not be on a Good Connection....
Be Safe.
bataradena

Post by bataradena »

Let me clarify some of your questions. When I'm viewing four cameras on the monitor at the same time (1-4) the hole monitor screen blanks-out. The POE Cables there are no breaks in the e-cable to and from the NVR to the POE cameras.
------
I need to update some of my previous posting about the day or night screen blanks-out. During the past week, I most admit the trouble seems more random then if it's day or night.

Now that I've started my Xmas break, I will have the time in locating (hopefully) the root cause. I'm thinking, like you, the POE-Power could be the root cause. Let the science project begin. :)

I do have some available tools to troubleshoot 'if" the NVR POE Power-Out is the issue. I'm going to start by monitoring one of unused NVR e-ports with an analog oscilloscope using an e-cable breakout model, looking for either a Vdrop-out or maybe a very noisy supply. Not knowing NVR electrical architecture I may need to test each E-Port individually.

I'll be getting back with my findings.

Happy Holidays!
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Unless I've missed something, you can't rule a faulty monitor out either.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok Well I would be interested in seeing your test results... As Longedge was saying it could be a Monitor that is going out as well. Even maybe something on that HDMI ch... Or maybe even if it is LED back lit maybe they are going out..

Just so you know the POE is not on by design... There is Magic when you plug in a POE camera that tells the POE power to come on SMPS. While I might be wrong as I haven't really dove into ever testing out POE ports haven't needed to... I just know that the POE switch or nvr can't have non poe devices plugged into them with out damage to the non poe device...

In some NVR's not all of them however in some there is limits on what can be displayed at any given time... Like one I think is it will record 8 ch display 4ch at 3mp or display other things at play. This info would be in the Manual... It could be different values but just saying there are things like that also... SO while say you had 5mp camera it won't display them at the same time only could do 2... So I don't know.. It is hard to say without testing...
Be Safe.
bataradena

Re: NVR screen blanks-out way all too often. (SOLVED)

Post by bataradena »

Reve2Maxx wrote
Unless I've missed something, you can't rule a faulty monitor out either. :!:
-------------
Well, I don’t believe it!

I started my day off by first resetting the NVR back to factory setting, and then connected a second VGA Monitor in parallel with my newer/bigger monitor for troubleshooting. It really nice the NVR has both output types an HMDI with the old school VGA.

I forgot to mention the monitor I’ve been currently using is a retired good working PC Acer monitor that has both a VGA / DVI Inputs. Clue.

After setting up all six cameras (5-POE / 1-WIFI) from the factory defaults I notice no more issue with the screen blanking. I even played around with the NVR Menu /Settings with no screen blanking out either.

Maybe, just maybe by resetting the NVR could have been the root cause to the problem? No there is more!
So, I remove the second VGA Monitor and sure again the screen blanking came back, no way! I reconnected the VGA Monitor and yes it stops. I even turned off the VGA Monitor power, and the screen didn’t blank out one. Could there be a problem with either the NVR / Monitor "earth ground reference?"

OK, this is not happening. I replaced the HDMI Cable with another one from my stash and yes, the screed still is blanking out. Wait a minute….. I have one of those “DVI-D to HDMI Adapter,” on the Aces monitor (hint above) which I also changed it out, and WA-YA it works, no more screen blanking! :o

Problem solved!

Have a Holiday my friends and thanks for the support!

Byron in Tucson AZ.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

awesome I am glad you got it working...

Happy Holiday's
Be Safe.