Forced Firmware Update

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
noirish

Re: Forced Firmware Update

Post by noirish »

SERIOUSLY!?!?

For people with physical access to the camera right now, does the camera reset or keep resetting (when it does that boot up sequence)? I have a nanny at home right now, and I'm away. I don't want that camera to keep moving!!!
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

@blu0001
In general, you block outgoing traffic from your IP Cam through WAN interface. Your CAM is your source and target would be your WAN outgoing interface , block both TCP & UDP.

Based on Razzmatazz latest post, the issue persists. But I have no issue with my traffic blocking method. So try configuring the rule again , as long as your IP Cam can't connect to the update server, there's no way update server can send you a command that will generate the dialogue message. You can also try the adblock method stated in his post.

The firmware on AMCREST firmware update website shown 12/23/2015 ( NOT 12/30/2015).
Attachments
Firmware_date.jpg
Firmware_date.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,
We apologize there is an issue after the new firmware update as the pop up stays on the web interface asking you to update firmware again. Please ignore the message if you have already upgraded as we are working on this and this would be resolved at the earliest.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

jondoe

Post by jondoe »

noirish wrote:SERIOUSLY!?!?

For people with physical access to the camera right now, does the camera reset or keep resetting (when it does that boot up sequence)? I have a nanny at home right now, and I'm away. I don't want that camera to keep moving!!!

This camera is pretty quiet and there's no sound coming out from camera speaker during boot. This is one of the reason I picked this cam over others.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,
We apologize there is an issue after the new firmware update as the pop up stays on the web interface asking you to update firmware again. Please ignore the message as we are working on this and this would be resolved at the earliest.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

jondoe

Post by jondoe »

Noted and thanks for the updates!
Pls inform your team to publish sha256sum or MD5 hash for the files , especially for the security updates.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Oldtechy

Post by Oldtechy »

Melvin wrote:Hello,
We apologize there is an issue after the new firmware update as the pop up stays on the web interface asking you to update firmware again. Please ignore the message as we are working on this and this would be resolved at the earliest.
make a note ...
NEVER FORCE firmware update on the customer's hardware.
Heavy, persistent, persuasion should be the limit of manufacturers efforts.

Remember, the customer OWNS the device.
... personally, I consider these "unrequested, automatic updates" to be trespassing.
<EoR>
BZCheeto

Post by BZCheeto »

Anxiously and Impatiently waiting for resolution !

You are impeding the ability to keep my family safe !
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

Oldtechy wrote:
Melvin wrote:Hello,
make a note ...
NEVER FORCE firmware update on the customer's hardware.
Heavy, persistent, persuasion should be the limit of manufacturers efforts.

Remember, the customer OWNS the device.
... personally, I consider these "unrequested, automatic updates" to be trespassing.
<EoR>
I totally agree with you on this!
zonasteve

Post by zonasteve »

that didnt work for me, the message still pops up. i have not set up the cloud either, never did. so the cloud isnt affecting me. at least i dont think so. and i do work around it but not clicking on it and the mesage goes to the background on the live view and the playback screen. on the setup screen, it stays smack in the middle.

and jondoe, i agree with you on than we do own our cameras and we shouldnt be forced to upgrade firmware. since i am not on the cloud, i clicked it to update. it didnt do it automatically. since amcrest owns the cloud, i think that if you are a cloud user, then they may have the right to force an update there. but this is still a problem because apparently amcrest put out an update that we non-cloud users trusted would be bug free and clicked on it messing up our cameras. and cloud users are messed up too from their forced update.
either way amcrest should not release anything until they themselves have tested updates on their equipment in their labs and verified them bug free before they put it out to public and cloud users.

Steve