Access Cameras behind NVR

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
mupimohan

Re: Access Cameras behind NVR

Post by mupimohan »

drinkingguinness wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 pm So I would like to be able to access my cameras that are connected to the switch portion of my NVR (NV4108E). My Home network is a 192.168.1.0/24 and the NVR switch network is 10.1.1.0/24. I have tried configuring a static route on my router to point 10.1.1.0/24 to the NVR's ip address of 192.168.1.100 but the traffic never makes it to the cameras. Is this functionality even possible on these NVRs?

Thanks!

I am planning to get the NV4108E but this thread worries me as it looks like I cant access the cameras directly if they are connected to NV4108E unless I get a separate POE switch. They why bother to spend the money on a POE NVR? The following are the 2 cases I want to do

Case A: I want to be able to directly access the cameras (some are POE, some are non-POE) connected to NV4108E from an outside network. I have created port forwarding for each of those cameras on my router.

Case B: I will also create port forwarding or DDNS for the NVR as I also want to be able to access NV4108E from an outside network AND ALSO want to look at the cameras through NV4108E.

Could anyone please confirm if both Case A and B are possible with NV4108E
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Why do people set up a issue from the start...

Ok so you have no NVR now and you have some POE cameras some that are not... Why would you want to induce a issue of adding a POE NVR when they have a NON POE version or others without POE... To me while you said you have your system setup with Port Forwarding for your cameras already why inject a stumbling block... With a NON POE NVR you have a NEW IP to setup and forward, then the cameras would just be added to the NVR and no extra issues to get past... Sounds like easy decision to install a non POE NVR
Be Safe.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

With a POE NVR, I would just need to set up a single port forwarding of the NVR and then access the cameras via the NVR. As long as I can set up the camera configurations via the NVR just like I can do it by directly accessing the camera using IE, I am fine with a POE NVR. With a POE NVR, I dont have to create a port forwarding or DDNS for each camera. That would be the main advantage I guess.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

Another problem is that I am running out of ports to foward. I have the Comcast (CISCO) router, the latest. Only the folloing port forwarding works.
I have 6 cameras with those ports forwarded. Even if I assign any other port number to the camera in the camera configuration via web GUI and open that port on my router, I cant access that port from outside my home network, though I can verify using a port checker that the port is not getting blocked by the router.

So with no more port to forward, I have to use a POE NVR as I can get rid of 5 ports except one for the NVR. I have spent a lot of time trying various port numbers. While I can open them on the router, they just wont work from outside my network. So I have to go with the POE NVR.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are ways around this... I would maybe talk with a network company and see what it would cost to set you up with a VPN tunnel. Maybe you have the Router and Switches needed already and could do it yourself.. There are other ways around hardware VPN's but this is even more work... i am sure there are other places you could find how to set up so your location A can talk with location B with little cost...

Sadly to tell you how to do this on a Forum isn't something that is going to be easily done and might find the way on a Network forum.. If you haven't setup one before it would be better to have someone that has do it for you. Once setup it would run without fail unless there was say a power outage or loss of Internet connections... Other then that it could work for long time flawlessly.

To be honest. If you had a NVR that your talking about buying.. Maybe setup that as your Port forwarded Ip to view all your cameras... Then the other ports that you want to forward would be one that you need Constant control over for making changes that you can't wait until your at Location B... Once at Location B you could use LAN to make changes to the Cameras you wanted and wasn't able to... Say you did 8081 as your NVR, Then you could do 86-89 four of your Top Priority cameras and do 83 as maybe something you need access to like a Server or something...
Be Safe.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

But problem is that I cant access the cameras that are connected to the POE ports of a POE NVR directly even if I have set up port forwarding as the POE switch of the NVR is on a different segment. Isn't this the main road block with the POE NVR as suggested by the posts before?

If I can access the cameras from outside my home network via the NVR web interface using IE by setting up port forwarding for the NVR, then I could make changes to the cameras from outside my home network. If this is possible, then I am ok with buying a POE NVR.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly I don't have that answer... I know that there are enough people that have issues accessing the Cameras on the Local network... There are some that have the ability to do what is called Virtual Host though the NVR However most time like in my Sons from Brand H that option you have to turn on though the setup. There are some other names for it as well. Sadly not all NVR's offer the option and only leaves a Switch on the other side of the nvr and even then that isn't always able to connect...

Problem is not all NVRs even by same manufacture offer same features. Because the hardware is different inside the NVR itself. So the software to support the hardware has different programs... While they might be Unix boxes sadly the hardware makes options not always function as one might hope..
Be Safe.