My brand new 4K dome camera keeps switching from main to sub stream

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
noahw86

My brand new 4K dome camera keeps switching from main to sub stream

Post by noahw86 »

I just installed my brand new PoE Amcrest 5MP Turret POE Camera, UltraHD Outdoor IP5M-T1179EW and i have tried all sorts of video config settings but some things will cause the video feed to be slow-motion, stutter every few seconds, or just look ok but eventually switch to the Sub-stream.

I'm viewing it through 2 different web browsers (Brave and Edge) and the same thing happens.

Is this something known for this device? How do i fix it?

I'm using TP-Link TL-SG1016PE V3 PoE+ switch and Cat6 cable. The desktop i'm running it from and the camera are plugged into the same switch so it's not even dealing with the router i am using. i'm using the TP-Link Archer C7 router, with DD-WRT firmware.

any help is appreciated. thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: My brand new 4K dome camera keeps switching from main to sub stream

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

I can't say for sure I know what the issue is. I would double check if your running it in H.265 try running it in H.264 to see if that changes anything. Also the design if the system is that it give good playback or Live View. If there is a issue (could be cable, switch, computer or just way camera is setup) the system is designed to switch to keep the system in action..

So first I would just try changing to h.264h.. Also when you do I would change from 2048 or 1024 where ever it was setup for to at least 4096 on the Bit Rate Kb/s.. I would do one thing to try at a time. I know that even though some of my cameras are setup and say they work with h.265 for some reason they seem to work best in h.264h and if your camera don't have the h.264h then try h.264... Also Frame rate I am not sure about your camera however for mine if they were setup max at 20 I normally drop to 18 and again keeping the bitrate at 4096.. Also you don't want to use VBR normally if it comes setup that way change to CBR..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
noahw86

Post by noahw86 »

ok so mine is a 15FPS camera, 4k camera.
i can set it to:
H.264, H.264B, or H.265
smart codec: on or off
resolution: 3840x2160, 3072x2048, 3072x1728, 2592x1944, 2688x1520, 2048x1536, 2304x1296, 1920x1080, 1280x960, 1280x720
frame rate: 1-15
bit rate type: VBR or CBR
bit rate:1280, 1536, 1792, 2048, 4096, 6144, or 8192

i have made bold and underline the currently set options. when i have it on these settings and i go to view the live view feed from my brave or edge browser, after ~32 seconds it switches to the sub stream

any ideas?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I would turn off the Smart Codec and change to H.264

Sorry your listing says it is 4k and your last message says it is 4k, The current setting for Encoding says it is 4k, however your part number you say is a IP5M-1179 and that isn't 4k that is a 5MP camera. So I am little lost
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok So Normally I don't run H.265 because of these issues.. However I did just change over my 2496ew-v2 turns off my IVS ability in the camera and I setup to CBR, 2048, and I have it streaming to 3 NVR's right now and ASP and connected in Edge (don't normally use edge) and I don't have any issues at 4k with that setting.. However I changed to 4096 and it drops over to sub view almost right away..

SO maybe lower to 2048 if you want to run in H.265 just an idea
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Scratch that, I switched it back to 2048 reboot camera and started up in WebUI again in Edge and now this time after about 30 seconds even at that rate I still got kicked to Sub...
Screenshot (2473).png
Screenshot (2473).png (901.45 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Be Safe
noahw86

Post by noahw86 »

so i quit using the web browsers and i switched to the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software on Windows 10 and with the following settings (see attachment) i haven't had it switch on me to Sub stream yet.

also, the 4k thing is based on the resolution in my settings. i'm a bit confused myself here cause the amazon purchase i made was the following link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083G9KT4C?ps ... ct_details
Attachments
settings.PNG
settings.PNG (14.69 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Wow I wish I could get a 8mp in place of a 5mp lol..

I never tried ASP with h.265 format. I know that it works in my NVR's without changing over. Personally I Think ASP is better option then a Web Browser for Viewing anyway, however you will want to turn off Smart Codec and personally I would not use H.264B to be honest, Also I have mine at 4096 and it works well enough. 8192 is going to give you issues I think.
Be Safe
noahw86

Post by noahw86 »

why do you think no smart codec or H.264B?

so far in live view using ASP i still haven't had it switch to sub stream using the above settings. i will switch back to H.265 though
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

In ASP Smart Codec will work (Should) seeing it was built for Amcrest hardware..

Main issue with Smart Codec it is kind of like what others call h.264+ and h.265+ however not all software and even hardware for that matter will support the Codec and that is why it is normally disabled when you install a camera to keep down on the issues you were having with Edge and your other browser.. If you want to use only ASP then you should be fine and only use the Browsers for making some changes that might be hard to make from ASP however ASP does have a good amount of ability with the Amcrest cameras.

Also B is older format H.264H and H.265 would be better for the camera if it don't have H.264H then I normally would go with H.264 if I am having issues with H.265. To be honest out of 50 cameras I run on many different recorders I have maybe 5 that run in H.265 that are IP cameras and that is mainly because they are SmartHome products and don't like changes much.. Most of my DVR's that offer H.265 are running it even on older CVBS camera feeds and don't have any issues with them.. Only issue is between IP cameras and NVR's or Browsers...

So B is baseline h.264 and the H is high and I guess some would call it same as h.264+ in Hikvision products. Personally I know H has worked for me and I don't have any issues running that. Again using Smart Codec and only using ASP and AVP to view and access your cameras should work without issue and even using H.265 However if the issue is there with Lag, Jitters, the Jerks, and all other kind of issues that can happen I would go without Smart Codec option and h.265..

Just Ideas..
Be Safe