NTP - how to set-up

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
fishface

NTP - how to set-up

Post by fishface »

I have several ip2m-841 (5 in total) and several and I cannot figure out why the time overlay keeps going exactly an hour out, and corrects itself when I log into the webUI.

I have DST disable, and set via NTP enabled.

Example, I look at live feed via BlueIris, realtime is say 12pm, BlueIris the camera overlay time as 11am, when I log into the camera webUI, the time magically corrects itself, so it shows 12pm again.

It's behavior is crazy, in any other device, when it's set to use an NTP service, it sticks to that, is there away to fix this>
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NTP - how to set-up

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So the correction of the time is because when the user logs into the camera it is designed to update the time to the computers time at log in..

So to be honest a few things can be done. However having a NVR seeing you are using BI isn't the option your looking for however a Amcrest or one with the right ability like Dahua can be setup to tell the camera to keep the NVR's time I setup mine every 12 hours incase I miss one or 2 that I don't setup right my times are right.. Now things can be little off on Smart Home cameras with this method..

For you using BI it might be best to turn off NTP if your not going to use DST because it will always be an hour off.. So log into WebUI turn off NTP, if time is wrong click update Manually it will again get your computers time and save for you.. Log out and it should never change again. However over time the time will get off again if you don't use WebUI to update to your computers Clock that is because the Crystal in the cameras are not 100% and will change every day a second or 2 could be less. Way to correct

So to keep your time right and last option is to make sure that DST, NTP are enabled and are set to a good time server that will give you time same as your computers time. Need to make sure DST is setup for right dates and your local is right for server to give you right times with the server and without BI or a Amcrest NVR doing that for you the time will always get out of sync unless NTP and DST are used and updated constantly.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
fishface

Post by fishface »

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I have the time overlay enabled is using the time overlay feature built-in to BIueIris has a significant CPU hit for the server, so I have BlueIris to to only time-stamp the recordings and not the live view.

I don't understand that even if you set to a NTP server/services why you even need to fuss around with DST, when the NTP server time updates for your given timezone, then the client (the camera) should update as well, so I do not understand the point of even having the NTP settings, they do not work as they are configured at the moment.

Every server I've ever configured, set NTP to ntp service, sync time once, and then leave it alone.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry don't know why I only can tell you that I can't get any of my devices to work on a NTP server if I have DTS off. So leaves only option to turn them both off and do your update to your Computer save and it will work.. However as I said the Built in Crystal in the camera seems to always loose time no mater the device and so you will want to log in every so often to keep your time on time. If you don't have some months you may notice that your time is Minutes off..

If in the USA Next year DTS is a thing of the past and with any luck the Time issue for people will no longer be an issue for Time.

Also keep in mind that if you use other devices that may connect to your camera the time can get all crazy. Like ASP, AVP, WebUI and Recorders.
Be Safe
fishface

Post by fishface »

Thanks for the update Revo2Maxx.

I turned everything off and the time is now correct, except for the inherent drift because of the crystal, which could easily be remedied if the NTP worked!

I think Amcrest either need to just get rid of the NTP settings, or get it fixed, NTP is a well trodden path.

Maybe they are waiting for the DTS thing to be a thing of the past, but it would still be good practice to have your internal crystal clock re-sync via NTP.

At least I know it is broken by design, so will not waste further time on in it.....bad joke! :D
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

I point mine at an internal NTP server and have then check the time about every 5 minutes. I also set DST dates in the GUI to keep the time right. I do not have drift or the hour shift problem. However from time to time mine go to 2000 with a wrong time and will stay that way from 5 minutes to days.

You need to set DST because NTP is passing UTC time, not local time, UTC time does not have DST. Computers track UTC time and use an off-set to show local time.

If you cannot get DST to work try shifting time zones as needed.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

The Drift is if you are not using a Daily update that is because your system is updated by Server.. The time Shift is without DTS and NTP enabled the Clock Crystal is out of time however it is as close as one can get to only loose some time over time. It isn't something you would notice right away and if you log into your system using the WebUI you will never notice it because your clock will be reset with each WebUI log in as well..

Lets say it like this. One of my 16ch DVR's is in a Remote location. It don't have a Internet connection and to be honest I can't remember how long of time it was off after 2 years of no one accessing the recorder. I just know that when my son was there couple of months ago to ride the trails he said the time was off from his watch time. So he manually set it and adjusted for the time change seeing it was also off the hour. Because there was no connections to WebUI over that 2 years that is why the time is off. Back in 2011 or 2014 I can't remember now I had a GPS time server that I used with a different system that cost a good chunk of money however someone needed it more then I did and I never replaced it. I will ask my son what the time shift is in July as he said him and his friends are going back for the 4th of July.. It is worse when it is a NVR because in general the NVR will update the clocks on each of the cameras.. Why it is important? Some places are very tight with Time when it comes to Crime. If lets say the system reset to 2000 and wasn't updated Lucky for me my Clock battery is still good so it is close even after power outage. However if it was like yours that goes back to 2000 and there was a Crime that I wanted to show with my Recorder and the time was not the time and date then it would be Invalid and my footage wouldn't be able to be used.

So for your system if it is going back to 2000 after a power outage then you will want to look into having your battery changed. Not all of them but most of them are Soldered on and will require someone to take the board out of the unit. IF it is a Camera then that will be harder because most of the Clock batteries are very small and hard to find the right one to replace yours with. Like my DVR that battery can be changed it is a snap in button cell however most of my NVR's and other DVR's are all solder on and require the board to be removed for new battery to be installed. Worse case if your system has Power fails setting up NTP and DTS will keep that a non issue and just logging in to the devices WebUI...
Be Safe
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

The clock reset to 2000 description did not include the word system or the phrase power outage. A camera just goes back to 2000, there are no known events associated with the clock change, and I have looked. I mark it as an OS problem with the camera, the type of never to be fixed problems that led me to not allowing my cameras to ever talk to the internet and only select other things on my network.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting.. There is no phrase on mine when power is off and my camera goes back to 2000 in fact testing my 841 that I have unplugged now for better part of 2021 and until today there is no log files before the first. Had some issues finding it because I forgot before I unplugged it I had reset it back to factory and I was trying to find a camera that the IP as I remembered it was not it lol.. However once I logged in it show as first event Set time as that is what it does when you log in using WebUI. If you only log in with AVP then it could show the 2000 date on the timeline.. I didn't use AVP only WebUI..

What camera are you using and what is the Firmware you have installed. Maybe I own one and I can do some testing to see if I can get the issue and I will even disable the Battery to find out what I can with and without a good battery in use..

I mean if there is a FW issue that Amcrest can correct maybe if I can get my device to act like yours if it is still getting FW updates then maybe the can get a Update out to fix the issue..

Detailed Information

Time: 2022-05-07 17:52:42
User Name: admin
Type: Set Time
Content:
Address: 10.0.0.119
Before: 2000-01-01 00:09:06
Type: Web3.0
Be Safe
AndyRH

Post by AndyRH »

If you want to give it a go, I have 5 cameras at the movement. The 3 that most commonly have the clock issue are running the newest firmware available.

IP3M-956EW
IP4M-1025W
IP4M-1028EW