NV5232e-16p unusable with IP4M-1051w

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jack7

Re: NV5232e-16p unusable with IP4M-1051w

Post by jack7 »

friggeri wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:18 pm That’s a good idea, I’ll try to connect over ethernet just to test things out.
But I believe there is a deeper issue beyond that: if I *only* connect the cameras and expose each of them to Amcrest View Pro, then I have no issue whatsoever streaming all of them, but as soon as the NVR enters the equation then all the wireless cameras start misbehaving. Is there anyway way to monitor the NVR<->camera communications?
Wifi IP cameras are problematic as Revo said.   The wired test should provide good reliable results.
Your Amcrest View Pro is probably using substream for all cameras and NVR is using mainstream. Maybe that's why View Pro is working better.
Also, I suggest turning off smart codec since it's enabled in your screenshot about camera settings.
It's been known to cause problems in the past.
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... art-Codec-
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@jack7 nice catch on the Smart Codec I totally missed that. I never mess with it so I always over look it. It is like in my mind it isn't even there lol. Maybe that will fix things up for them. I know that 5xxx machine is fast enough has more power then any of my 4xxx machines that's for sure.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
friggeri

Post by friggeri »

Naive question: if there is not recording set up, is the NVR still streaming the main streams from the cameras? (given the low bandwidth utilization I’m assuming no, but @jack7’s comment above seem to indicate that maybe it does?).

Disabling smart codec actually makes things slower unfortunately.

I can’t easily run cables right now, so I’ll have to wait a few days to run that test.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry I have to ask did you change the VBR to the CBR?

One of the biggest mistakes I think people make is that they read VBR can give better Video results then CBR and while the Quality can be there it can cause issues like your talking about as well.

VBR is good for VOD type setups and not overly supported in truth CBR is good because the rate is set at like mine 4096 it is constant and while it can go up and or down some not much where the VBR can have a huge impact.

My Pictures that I had, I showed what my 1051W is connected at. It is Wifi, Very close to the connecting router, Next that camera on Ch5 is setup for 4096, 20fps, quality 5, CBR, and important I think as well that it is setup for as mine is h.264h... There is a lot of things going on in my system and to be honest this camera that is on a Router that is behind my normal router, while I can see the IP of that range that camera is at 10.23.1.102 where my normal range is 10.0.0.x and so I am able to access that camera on my local network by setting up a Port forwarding setup, That I can access the camera locally but the NVR wouldn't work, So I also setup Port forwarding for the camera and also setup DMZ. So my Router I can access the camera at 10.0.0.212:81 or 10.0.0.212:8080 and because I used the DMZ the NVR now can see the cameras open ports and where 80 used to be for local webui I setup to 8080 and still have access to my routers webui at 10.0.0.212.

anyway even with all that and then the extra router to switch to a second switch I can access that camera without issue. I also use ASP to access it over P2P connection and most times have that camera or the 841v3 in constant live view on ASP both being streamed over P2P from same router to switch combo and again no lag or delay. On days that I do have an issue I reboot my main Router and normally that solves it even though they are not connected to that router directly.

Personally I would as I said to start out with, Change to CBR, make sure they are h.264h turn up the heat to at least 4096.. Streaming on a NVR monitor in Grid view 9 or 16 view grid all cameras would be in Sub unless you change them to main in each window. in 4 grid your looking at 4 main streams, in 8 view your looking at 1 main and 7 subs again unless you change each to reflect the other

Edit: Also didn't mention I also have 9 cameras 2 DVR on that single 100tx connection that are setup to FTP to my Server on my Normal Range FTP Server so there is a lot of Traffic going down that 1 pipe.
Be Safe
friggeri

Post by friggeri »

I did switch back to CBR yes, didn’t help :(
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@friggeri
"Naive question: if there is not recording set up, is the NVR still streaming the main streams from the cameras? (given the low bandwidth utilization I’m assuming no, but @jack7’s comment above seem to indicate that maybe it does?)."
I would say no, unless it is being displayed in live view using mainstream.

"Disabling smart codec actually makes things slower unfortunately."
I would try H.265 instead of smart codec to reduce band width and recording space.  Your NVR should be able to handle it.  H.265 will have same quality as H.264 with reduced bitrate of ~40%.

"I can’t easily run cables right now, so I’ll have to wait a few days to run that test."
A test I would do is just take one of your eight wifi cameras and make it wired.  Then start adding wifi cameras to NVR until problems start happening.  Then add the wired camera and see how that camera does.  This should give you an indication of what would happen with all eight cameras wired.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I hate to bring this up, But AVC vs HEVC for wireless AVC takes the cake all day..

Logically one could assume that h.265 would be a better choice because it is the latest developed and the most effective however it is little (alot more complex then this) HEVC (H.265) better compression efficiency then the AVC (h.264) and sure the h.264 takes up twice the space however it does it in less then half the time that it would take for a camera and NVR to Encode h.265.

So why with it being better why not as widely supported

Limited Adoption
Higher Encoding Speeds,
Not supported in all Browsers Only IE is it good for and it is being phased out all others are no guarantee that it will work.. Even if it was to work well the WebRTC not fully supported and makes it not work well.

For now for me any way h.264 is the way to go until the AV1 is released as the new and faster codec
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I know we are not talking about my Slow 4216E-AI NVR, but there is only 1 way that I can run my 1051 in my NVR in h.265 and that is changing to full screen or changing my 9ch Grid view for my 1051 to work on the Main stream. When I change my camera to h.265 it will work fine in Main but changes the sub stream to VGA and will just show a black screen. Maybe I have not tried it but maybe try running the camera sub stream in h.264h and run the recording stream (Main) in h.265. Personally I would leave it on h.264h call it a day. So I personally made a fast video showing why I don't use on all my cameras that can h.265 and fallback to the older h.264h.. Now it was changed just didn't show in there because I made the changes in the Cameras WebUI. if I would have hit refresh it would have changed but wasn't thinking just trying to make Video as fast as I could.. It is an unlisted video so only can get to it from the link below.

https://youtu.be/3zBvxwzMF8c
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

My thoughts regarding H.265:
As I understand it, the purpose of H.265 for IP cameras is to significantly reduce the bandwidth and file size for videos without reducing quality.  If those things don't matter or there is some other reason, then don't use H.265.

If a H.265 video file is distributed to an audience that uses unknown video players, then convert the H.265 file to H.264 for better compatibility.  All Amcrest programs I've used and VLC do support H.265.  It depends on the player.

My limited test showed that decoding H.265 takes about 50% more processing time than H.264.   So it depends on the processor as to how many H.265 cameras could be decoded concurrently.
patric

Post by patric »

Amcrests NVRs are notoriously underpowered. I cant imagine trying to operate a 32 channel unit on a platform that struggles with only four (at 4K resolutions). It doesnt sound like WiFi is the primary culprit but for reliability you should use Ethernet instead of WiFi whenever possible.