New AD410 doorbell dies within 5 minutes

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
MJPVDH

Re: New AD410 doorbell dies within 5 minutes

Post by MJPVDH »

I did the skip thing after i did a hard reset with the 5v usb micro connected.

After setting up including the skip thing everything works perfect.

But when i disconnect the 5v usb and connect the 24v on the back screws the doorbell dont starting. Everything stays black/dead.

When i replace my Ezviz doorbell to the 24v wiring it works fine. So the power supply is working.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well that is interesting. To be honest I am still going to guess that your Doorbell camera isn't bad on the back pegs.. However I could be wrong as I didn't design or build them and I have not looked in one to see how they Tick..

So here is an idea. First your Power supply that is 24vac at 15va is kind of on the VERY low end for Current rating at around 625ish MA of current.. I have not looked up the Min for the 410 and so the numbers I am going off the 110 that is built almost the same does have some different options but I would guess that it is going to be around same values.. For the AD110 it is said that a 16vac 30va is Min and mind you that is while using a doorbell inside, So issue with higher volts VA needs to be higher in general as well.. So with keeping with the same Theme, 24vac would need 45va to be at the current rating of a 16vac 30va.. To be fair without a doorbell and only powering the camera I am going to guess that a 24vac 24va or 25 should be enough and that is 1amp of current right now as I said with what you posted your Power supply is 24vac at 15va that is just over 600milla amps of current and to keep the doorbell powered once powered up might work but to get it powered up might not

So if you don't have a 12vdc power supply that you could try or a different 16vac or 24vac power supply here is something I would try to see what happens..

Personally I would power the Camera up using the USB as you said it has worked, I would also have the wiring on the back of the camera ready to get powered by normal power supply. If connected to a Breaker or Switch would be fastest and easiest way to do it, Breaker or Switch off, make connection to the camera while it is still powered to with the USB, I would then Remove the USB power and after removing the power of USB connect the power to the normal supply by turning on the Breaker or Switch and see if the camera still goes offline.. You will want to make sure you disconnect the USB power before restoring the normal power supply power and in a Since you are kind of Jump Starting this camera and as long as you don't press the button over and over a few times it should be able to run on a low current power supply

Could be camera be damaged? Personally I am not sure how.. It might be that there was a Fuse in the camera that has gone bad this more and likely would be a SMD fuse and not one that is able to be changed without good enough soldering pen or station with SMD tip as it is going to be a very small chip.. I don't think so my self.. I think this is still connected between a Micro Relay. I guess it could be that the relay fried but again don't think so.. I guess one test you could do is take a Multi Meter if you own one and put it on the 2 pegs and see if there is a dead short even while the camera is un plugged there should be an OPEN or OL on meter when testing.. Also I would if you have a Current meter test the camera and see if it is trying to power the camera over the Current level of your power supply..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
MJPVDH

Post by MJPVDH »

Hi James,

I first tried this one but unfortunately without success https://www.vekto.nl/voeding-12vdc-15w- ... -85-264vac .
Then I connected this https://www.vekto.nl/beltrafo-8-24vac-2 ... schakelaar but unfortunately also nothing.

The doorbell only turns on with the 5v USB cable and then works perfectly.

I sent it back to Amcrest and got my money back.

I did buy a new AD410 and my question is if I can use this https://www.vekto.nl/beltrafo-8-24vac-2 ... schakelaar for it without it breaking down again.

I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I don't think that a 1 amp power supply will be enough current to supply the camera with the power it needs to run. While it does say it would have a Max output of 2amps the issue is I don't know that the camera works on a 12vac supply. I know that it does work on a 12vdc..

Personally I wouldn't get anything less then 16vac 30va transformer to power the camera. With or without using the indoor chime. There are just to many factors that can cause bad performance in the future. Last thing you want is the camera to start a FW update and crash because the camera didn't have enough current in the power supply to deal with the demand..
Be Safe
MJPVDH

Post by MJPVDH »

I don't understand, on the back of the doorbell it clearly says 16- 24 volts 0.5 amps. So where does the 2 amps come from?

Attachments
20210719_105322.jpg
20210719_105322.jpg (248.43 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I will go and do some more testing with my Ad410,

2amps is the max that your Power supply says it can produce and that is at 12vac. So that was where my 2 amp info comes from.

About the Ad410 all testing that I had done on the AD110 and things with making connections to 16 or 24vac has made some things stick in my head about what should or should not happen with these. So to be honest I did take most of my Data off that doorbell camera and said that the 16vac 30va should be used..

To be honest it really makes no sense to me that a 30va transformer was needed for the AD110 either. With all testing I did only startup current was ever high and once the doorbell camera said it connected to the Network the current dropped down to less then 200ma..

So for me what is important? Making sure someone has the Right thing the first time. So If I said yeah sure buy it and it didn't work then I would be made out to be a bad person or give bad advise and while someone could say that with over stating the need of the Supply 30va however there is many factors going into this Recommendation.. One knowing that people on lower power supplies like 16vac 10va that is truly enough to power the camera seeing that is over 600ma of power or in the case of your Picture above 0.6A and for some it can power the camera. However then you add in factors like Wiring and Voltage Drop over Distance and all the things like IR and camera working in B/W at night, If the scene is busy, if the Wifi is close or far and anything else that can cause the Power Factor to increase..

Then there is info like is the Camera going to be used as stand alone or is it going to be in use with a Indoor Chime? With indoor Chime the Power needs to for sure increase and being used as a Stand alone then yeah 1amp supply would be enough as long as the Power supply and the camera are not at to far of a Distance if the Wires used to power the camera isn't to small (Making sure to Skip adding the Chime in Setup in stand alone use)

For me most important part was info that isn't even posted in the data sheet and So far out of all my Doorbell cameras Amcrest is only one that has worked with 12vdc and giving that both AD110 and Ad410 work on 12vdc the Circuit design is Awesome.

Also in my Post, I did say "Personally I wouldn't" I was only offering my 2 cents... I have no Stock in Power supplies and make no money off telling people to get something different then they want to get. I have only personal RL factors that I base my answers on. While I didn't do any testing of Power supplies other then the 12vdc 1.65amps, 3amps, 16.5 vac, 40va 16vac 35va and connecting it once to a 24vac 100va I have not tested the camera on any other power supply outside of those.. I do have a 10va somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it anymore.. 16vac 10va that is 0.625 should be enough maybe I will go to Home depot and buy a new Transformer I will want to loose again lol for some testing.

TO be honest my worry would be if the camera was to go to work in IR at night and to try and do a Auto Update at that time it could pull the power down enough to brick my camera and is main reason I wouldn't want to use it on anything less then 16vac 20va +.... So take a Power supply that might be 8 16 and 24vac at 20va for 16 and 24vac that would be 1.25amps and 0.833A respectfully..
Be Safe
Patrick1610

Post by Patrick1610 »

Hi @MJPVDH,

I am guessing (because of the links you sent) you are also a Dutch person.
I have the same problem. I had an existing (Ring) 24V AC transformer in place, which powered the Amcrest fine.
Then it died, only works with the USB now, nothing on the wire connection with multiple transformers.

I will ask Amcrest for a replacement, but did you get the new one to work fine? If yes, did you change anything?

Regards,
Patrick
Sgandza

Post by Sgandza »

I too have had this problem recently. My AD410 was working fine for a few weeks then... nothing. Still powers via the USB. I did install the chime kit, because I want it to ring the doorbell inside as well.

I am using a 24V 20va transformer that was existing for my previous doorbell.

When you say to skip the chime choice on the setup - does that mean that it will not utilize the existing doorbell chime, or do I set that up after?
I have filled out an RMA and am awaiting a new doorbell.

Thanks.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well personally I don't know enough about the AD410 on a 24vac transformer.. I do know that the chime kit for the 410 has 2 different resisters in it and wondering if that has anything to do with all the returned units with dead chime kits on the AD110.. What I do know about 24vac on the AD110 is it was a chime kit killer. Using my 410 on a 24vac was always without the chime kit and I don't have mine connected to a indoor bell so it don't wake up my Pups or others in the house when someone presses the doorbell.. What I do know is working with again older chime kit on the AD110 the 24vac would cause a low voltage over current status and doing so would cause the Circuit within the chime kit to get outside of the range the circuit could handle and make it so it would no longer function when someone put it on a 16vac setup and a doorbell.

If you while in the setup bypass the chime setup it would be able to work without the Chime kit and wouldn't cause an indoor chime to ring. Sounds like that isn't your desire and not sure why or how the camera would not work on normal power but works with 5v usb.. From all that and from what others have mentioned about that it almost sounds like the Circuit on the doorbell must some some type of SMD fuse that gives up to easy.. This fuse easy could be for only the power connected to the camera and not part of the USB circuit. I have not had a dead doorbell to test out to see what or how it is built that is only a guess... It is easy enough to have power supply circuit ahead of the USB circuit my guess would be the AD410 has smaller Cap seeing it is faster to go offline and faster to startup then the AD110. Then a Bridge rectifier to change the incoming AC voltage to DC.. So another thing I could guess is that the incoming power supply setup is complex seeing it can use 12-24dc and or 16-24vac.. While my old Ring only worked with AC and so does my Hikvision OEM doorbell camera so more complex then they wanted to work with..

Outside of that in the past I have worked with some AD110 where the person I was helping had 24vac intercom system and he also had a 16vac system so I setup his AD110 to work on the normal 16vac and a relay to supply the doorbell the 24vac it needed. I have also setup 2 others now one with 8vac and the other with 10vac doorbells both with relays to work with the AD110 on 16vac and the doorbells on the voltage they required...

What should be understood for anyone reading this is that when the doorbell of most any brand and the AD110 and Ad410 of Amcrest when the button is pushed it is in a since causing a Closed circuit (Short Circuit) and if the time for digital is set that is how long that short is happening. Think of it as a Switch. (Like when you turn on your lights in the house) it goes from an open (No lights) to Closed so power can pass though. When you setup the camera and Skip the doorbell being added in the App setup the doorbell camera never closes the switch and no harm is caused to the power supply with the chime box in place it is designed to absorb that current outside the limits of your indoor bell...
Be Safe
badriver

Post by badriver »

Hey Guys,
I'm also located in EU, and I'm considering importing this doorbel as I really appreciate those specs.
But to be honest, I'm getting concerned with all this problems.

About the transformer. Does anyone know if this one is ok for AD410?
It is only 15Vac but delivers 1,2 + 1 amps. This should be around 30VA. But not really sure why it mentions 50VA.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Omr4gk ... sp=sharing

I also tried to measure the output directly on the transformer and got a value of 17v