SMTP "Other" Configuration Does Not Work

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
CommanderData

SMTP "Other" Configuration Does Not Work

Post by CommanderData »

I have a local SMTP server on my network that I use for other devices, such as my UPS, NAS, scanners and Windows Server alerts. It has no authentication and runs on port 25. Any device on my network can send emails by directing them to this SMTP server, EXCEPT for my Amcrest cameras.

I have 3 Amcrest cameras:
* 1 4K camera (Model: IP8M-T2669EW-AI - using FW with build date 2020-09-21)
* 2 5MP cameras (Model: IP5M-T1179EW - both using FW with build date 2019-11-13)

How can I get these cameras to use my local SMTP server for alerts?

FYI - Using WireShark to analyze network traffic, both cameras do not even try to contact my SMTP server and immediately report "Fail!". If I enter my Google credentials, they both work, but that's not how I want to roll...

-Erik
CommanderData

Re: SMTP "Other" Configuration Does Not Work

Post by CommanderData »

Ping...

Does anybody know how to get Amcrest IP cameras to use a local (on-site) SMTP server? I've tried everything I can and although I can get it to work with my Gmail account, I cannot with the most basic configuration possible.

Thanks...
exporain

Post by exporain »

Did you ever figure this out? I am currently stuck on this.
CommanderData

Post by CommanderData »

Nope. Tried everything I could find - firmware updates, all settings, etc. Nothing worked.

I've been an IT network professional for many years, and fully investigated this. I'm convinced that it is a firmware / software problem in the cameras. What I can't believe is that it is a problem with more than one camera model - suggesting they have "universal" software (that is broken in this respect).

It would be great though if Amcrest finally woke up and fixed this (easily fixable) issue.

Until then, I cannot recommend Amcrest devices to any of my clients, and always select a competitor instead. Sorry Amcrest, but you need to read these posts and fix your software...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting

Would be nice to know what type of server your working with, Nice to know if your working with Local ONly setup or FQDN, MX and A Record are present and if your ISP or Server based area has Local Port 25 Open..

Sorry there is just so many things that can go wrong with your local service to Blame Amcrest is Ludicrous

Would be interested in seeing your logs at /var/log/mail.log

have you tried to telnet to a good known email server like google form your own mail server? from your unix box what do you get when you type in the following
telnet gmail-sntp-in.l.google.com 25

Does that command return a MX record on google or does it Connection timed out message?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@Revo2Maxx How did it go the last time you challenged an IT Network professional's diagnosis? Not saying that you aren't trying to be helpful, but this exact issue was reported in this forum (and to Amcrest Support) 5 years ago.

@CommanderData & @exporain - see https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 4-s10.html . There is a clunky workaround described in the final post you might try.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

GaryOkie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:42 pm @Revo2Maxx How did it go the last time you challenged an IT Network professional's diagnosis? Not saying that you aren't trying to be helpful, but this exact issue was reported in this forum (and to Amcrest Support) 5 years ago.

@CommanderData & @exporain - see https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 4-s10.html . There is a clunky workaround described in the final post you might try.
LOL Really there was a Challange and I missed it? If your talking about the person I think your talking about and another person at the end came in for the same Claim. The Feild it to wide and what one covers a dozen others (in the field) might not even have a clue about it.

About this Email issue. Sorry Gary This isnt' about an issue of trying to send gmail this is an issue of someone trying to setup a Local Email server and it has nothing to do with the Amcrest Software issue related to the post from 5 years ago. As I have said before I have my own Email Server hosted so I can send emails anytime I want and don't have to worry about Data Caps or even worry about older devices not being able to send emails. I get Emails from 2015 FW cameras and 2021 FW cameras alike. Now I have to make a few things different in my setups with different FW even older FW cameras if different type camera might have different issues. However just a few little things change in my email server settings and I can send emails..

Then about the case in hand. I have SMTP here in my own Network. I know what I can and can't do, I know what I need and or don't need to make something work. Was I making a Challange? No I was asking for MORE info about what is going on.. Said would love to see the Logs as that can tell alot about what is going on within a Local Machine... Asked about what running a command would do to find out if there is an issue that could be solved with contacting ISP or Network Service Provider? Why the Questions? Because as IT the Tech don't always just lay in your Lap there are others most times within the Team that work to Support one another, I have some things that could Bare Fruit and thought I would Give what I had to maybe shed some light

Problem is there are so many more issues. But is a Place to start..
Be Safe
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Oh James… sigh. The issue is that anonymous SMTP connections from Amcrest cameras (only!) is not working. This is indeed the exact same issue reported by a dozen or so other users several years ago.

Here we have a network professional who has a fully functional local SMTP server working for numerous other devices that “has no authentication and runs on port 25”. He has diagnosed the anonymous SMTP connection failure with Amcrest at a low level using Wireshark. So one of the first things you ask him is if his email server has port 25 open.

Since Amcrest Support never responds on this forum any more, maybe you can find out what the status is of this known issue and/or any workarounds that don’t require undesirable changes to a functional SMTP server.

It was my hope that my comments here were constructive. Please do not take any offense. It's well known that you go way above and beyond with anyone in providing greatly appreciated support in this forum.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry don't know.. I can't be any help...

What I can say is I just looked at another camera a 841V3 and thought I would do a couple of things. First I have it setup on Wireless, I took and added my Email info to the camera, I then setup on the Wired Portion of the camera my DNS servers IP, I then looked at my server and found that I had traffic on the machine, I then did a Test for the email server and there was no wireshark data for email server. I then went back to the camera and I added in the Wireless area the DNS address that points to my Email server and did a test again and after doing that I have traffic on there for smtp. as expected.

So I am not sure. I know they are using POE cameras, I have tested mine and I get traffic on my email server and dns server so I am not sure

I have tested so far 10 different devices 4 DVR/NVR's and 6 cameras, and all of them adding other area smtp I am able to get traffic doing a test on my SMTP server. Only 2 of the cameras were POE seeing rest are behind my NVR on the POE ports and was why I was testing recorders as well. NEW FW old FW all same results. Traffic.

Sorry don't know can't be of any help I am not a IT pro so I don't know. Only know my own network...
Be Safe
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Absolutely no need to apologize James! I don't know when it was expected that you were in any sort of position to try to answer everyone's technical questions. It's my suspicion that Amcrest Support abdicates participation in this forum because they gladly let you be the unofficial front line for not just support, but forum management!

Interestingly, in the ipcamtalk forum, an Amcrest employee (Carlos B) is active answering questions about Amcrest products. So why there, and not here?

Speaking of forum management - I see that you removed/censored a sentence from my post that answered your direct question. In my view, it was in no way offensive or contrary to the rules of this forum, but you must have felt otherwise.