IP3M General Setup Guide - Most likely will work for others.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
shaggy08251993

IP3M General Setup Guide - Most likely will work for others.

Post by shaggy08251993 »

I'm a pretty technical person, sitting in front of computer screens all day, every day, and having gone to school for media and computer systems. Despite that, like many others, I've had numerous issues getting Amcrest cameras setup and working.

I've had a habit for years now that when something is technical, I write myself a guide as I go to significantly reduce the chances of struggling again.

That said, I'm copy/pasting my full guide here for anyone else who may be having issues during setup. It has helped me numerous times now after moving to several new locations and having to reconnect the cameras each time.

===============START GUIDE==================

No matter how you choose to setup the camera, all devices involved MUST be on the same network. No repeaters or anything like that. The camera, your phone, and computer all need to be on the same network.

1. Make sure the camera is plugged into power and has an ethernet cable running into the router. (A direct connection between the camera and a computer will not work, though you'd think it would). Make sure the computer also has a direct ethernet cable plugged in.

NOTE: If your computer setup is too far away, use a laptop just for the initial setup process. Once the camera is configured and connected to wireless, you should be able to use the software from a desktop computer in another room.

2. Once the light on the camera is solid green, open the Amcrest IP Config software on your computer.

NOTE: If the camera/s don't show up in the list of devices (and it probably won't), restarting your computer and reopening Amcrest IP Config should fix the issue.

3. To open the web-browser of the camera, hit the "e" icon near the top right. Note that while the web interface for the camera will show on Edge, the plug-in to actually view through the camera requires Chrome. So it's best to do all camera settings functions on the Chrome plug-in. The plug-in is called Amcrest Web View, and you'll need to download it from the Chrome Store.

With Amcrest Web View open, type in the IP address for the camera as shown in the IP Config software. SAVE THIS IP ADDRESS, as this is how you'll access the camera in the future.

4. The default user and password are both "admin", but of course you'll need to enter something different if you've changed this. MAKE SURE TO SAVE YOUR CUSTOM PASSWORD IF YOU CHANGE IT. This process is already a headache. You don't wanna cause yourself another months later.

5. Make sure in the Network settings, the TCP/IP mode is set to Static,or you may get disconnects, as reported by other users. Also take note of the IP address. It seems that when you log in to the camera, if you haven't saved the IP manually and statically, it likes to jump up by 1 number each time, while the IP config software won't update. This will lead to the software telling you one IP, and the camera telling you another.

NOTE: In the network settings section, you may also need to change the "driver" from "wired" to "wireless". Note entirely sure if this makes a difference, but it seems to work.

NOTE 2: Oddly, from my own experience, the IP Config software may list the same camera twice if you have the camera connected to the router via ethernet cable, but have the network adapter option set on "Wireless".

6. To enable a WiFi connection, go to the WiFi settings and connect the camera to the appropriate signal. After this, you should be able to unplug the ethernet cable when you're ready to.

7. Be aware of the difference between the Main Stream and Sub Stream in the video settings. Main Stream is the video going to devices on the same network as the camera. Sub Stream affects devices that aren't on the same network. For example, if you turn off Sub Streaming, your phone won't be able to access the camera feed while you're somewhere else away from home.

8. The colored squares under File Type are for the type of triggered event, not the actual file type of the video itself. Green is General, yellow is Motion, red is Alarm, and blue is Manual.

=======IMPORTANT NOTE=======================IMPORTANT NOTE=======================IMPORTANT NOTE========

After initial setup, when trying to connect from a mobile phone or a computer using wireless, you should be able to connect regardless of which band you are on. 2.4g and 5g should both be fine. As long as the camera is connected to the router on 2.4g, it doesn't matter what band your phone/computer are on. This has been PROVEN.

When connecting from a wireless computer, the IP Config software is no longer needed. It's really just to find the IP address of any cameras you have. Once you know the IP addresses, you can just open up Amcrest Web View with chrome, and go directly to the IP address and log in (192.168.1.xx). Even if you don't see the camera listed in the IP Config software, you should still be able to directly connect with the wireless computer.

=====END IMPORTANT NOTE===================END IMPORTANT NOTE====================END IMPORTANT NOTE=====

=======================
CONNECTING A CELL PHONE
=======================

To connect a phone to the camera, you still need to do the initial setup on a computer. Technically, you're supposed to be able to do it on a phone too, but Amcret software is hot garbage and it doesn't work...so initial setup on a computer is the easiest method.

1. Download Amcrest Web View from the mobile store.

2. Open the app and tap the menu button (3 horizontal lines) at the top-left.

3. Go do "Device Manager", then "Add Device".

4. Select "WiFi Camera", then "Add Connected Device".

5. Select "P2P Setup", and then scan the QR code on the side of the camera. It should be smooth sailing from here, and the live feed of the camera should automatically appear once done properly.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: IP3M General Setup Guide - Most likely will work for others.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the Forum first off...

I am not sure why you would come here and add something that seems to kind and nice to start out to just have something bad to say about the APP...

Personally I like the Amcrest View Pro APP... It works for me.. Can I do a Wifi Setup of any of the cameras I own? Sadly no... But that is only flaw and while it is a PAIN to make people think it is so easy when looking at a video that was made with FW that did work with WIFI when setting up back in 2015 or 16 it just isn't cut and dry...

Are there things about the app I wish was cleaned up some sure but that is my own issue.. Does the APP work with my NVR, DVR, and IP cameras that I own from Amcrest.. Sure I use P2P prefer it and love that the app works without much hassle..
Be Safe.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I often think that all sellers are wrong in making the claims that they do about how simple installing and using their equipment is. It’s not simple but most of us find ways of overcoming the difficulties. The real problem is that there’s no ‘one size fits all’ solution. The best of all options is to have a security system installed by an expert and if you can’t do that for whatever reason then you have to work through the problems yourself.

It’s good that you have found a way that works for you but there are some inaccuracies in what you have posted and also some points that would benefit from further explanation.

1. “No matter how you choose to setup the camera, all devices involved MUST be on the same network.
Assuming network = LAN then it’s not strictly true but certainly best practice.

2. “Make sure the computer also has a direct Ethernet cable plugged in.
Definitely not necessary. In my own setup, my PC is on Wi-Fi (5 GHz).

3. “Once the light on the camera is solid green, open the Amcrest IP Config software on your computer.
It’s not necessary to use Amcrest IP Config. If you connect a new/factory reset camera via Ethernet, it will obtain an IP address from your router in the normal way. Your router will then show the IP address that has been allocated. Enter that IP address into your web browser and the camera web interface logon will appear.

4. “The default user and password are both "admin", but of course you'll need to enter something….
During initial setup you cannot proceed any further until you have set a password. It’s up to the user to remember what their password is.

5. “Oddly, from my own experience, the IP Config software may list the same camera twice if you have the camera connected to the router via Ethernet cable, but have the network adapter option set on "Wireless".
Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections each have an IP address allocated. Even when only connected by one route, the camera will respond to calls on the IP address for the other route so in effect there are two devices. I suppose that IP conflicts might occur but it has never been a problem for me.

6. “Be aware of the difference between the Main Stream and Sub Stream in the video settings. Main Stream is the video going to devices on the same network as the camera. Sub Stream affects devices that aren't on the same network. For example, if you turn off Sub Streaming, your phone won't be able to access the camera feed while you're somewhere else away from home.
GOOD POINT! I don’t know how many users are lucky enough to have symmetric connections to the internet but where I am, it’s common for people with 30Mbps plus internet connections to have upstream connections of only 1 or 2 Mbps which is nowhere near enough to support viewing the camera Main Stream. Turning the Sub Stream off will also result in phone apps not working even whilst connected to the same LAN.

7. “As long as the camera is connected to the router on 2.4g, it doesn't matter what band your phone/computer are on. This has been PROVEN.
This is not true. The 2.4 GHz channel on my router is switched off completely. Some cameras are 5 GHz enabled and others/older ones are not. As I’ve already said, my PC is only connected via Wi-Fi and I have full access via Wi-Fi to an IP3M-941B camera also connected only via 5 GHz.

8. “When connecting from a wireless computer, the IP Config software is no longer needed. It's really just to find the IP address of any cameras you have. Once you know the IP addresses, you can just open up Amcrest Web View with chrome, and go directly to the IP address and log in (192.168.1.xx). Even if you don't see the camera listed in the IP Config software, you should still be able to directly connect with the wireless computer.
This is covered in point 3 above but it is worth noting that firmware in some cameras requires a browser plug-in in order to display the video feed. This requirement has caused a lot of confusion in the past but has been addressed with the most recent firmware which is implemented with javascript.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
shaggy08251993

Post by shaggy08251993 »

Alright, my post wasn't to attack the seller/manufacturer, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't come from a point of frustration. Surely they're aware that many people aren't satisfied with the layout and process of getting these cameras running. That's all.

Next, this was a general guide. Does it list every possible method to set up a camera? Heck no! But it was meant to show a way that would/should most likely work for people who may be struggling to put the pieces of the puzzle together by reading 20 articles instead of just one.

"2. “Make sure the computer also has a direct Ethernet cable plugged in.”
Definitely not necessary. In my own setup, my PC is on Wi-Fi (5 GHz)."

Okay, well in my own instance the software wouldn't detect the camera at all, and plugging the IP address into AWV didn't work unless I was on a wired connection. Again, not a foolproof guide, just meant to avoid possible issues.

I'm not going to respond to every nitpick of the guide you have, as everything that I've written DOES work for me, and it worked for my father-in-law. I'm sure it will work for others, or at least help them to get around some bumps, and that's all it was meant to do.

Edit: Just for further clarification, anytime the guide says "you", it isn't me talking to people reading this thread. It is me talking to myself. I literally wrote this in a text doc just for me initially, but thought it would help others, so I copy/pasted to this thread.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I fully understand where you are coming from. There have been times when I have been on the verge of throwing a camera out of the window in disgust and I definitely don't see IP cameras, the firmware they run on or the applications that are written to support them through rose tinted glasses (that's Amcrest and several other brands).

I believe that good technical writers are a very rare breed. Writing a guide demands accuracy otherwise misinformation spreads and can just make problems more difficult to resolve. You see it as nitpicking, I don't.

I'm with you 100% when you say you have found a method that works for you. So have I and that's what everybody eventually does although for some people it's just too daunting which is when it's best to get the experts in.

The strength of the forum is that people can ask a question when they have a particular problem and hopefully get a reply from other users who have had and resolved a similar problem.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03