Amcrest Doorbell

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
ckronengold

Re: Amcrest Doorbell

Post by ckronengold »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm So looking at your Doorbell there should be a Sticker or it might be even Stamped in the plastic or metal the size of Volts shown as 16vac or 24vac and second and most important is VA and as I said before could be 10 or 30.. Now it is said by Amcrest a good transformer is 30va
Yup. Found it. 16v 10va. Went to home depot and picked up a 30va transformer. Will swap that out tomorrow. I couldn't find the breaker that would turn off the ring on the doorbell.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pmAbout connecting it I am not going to say that it can't be done on your screensaver but just be it known that outside of the Smarthome app people have bricked the doorbell camera from other sources...
Yeah, I may have run into that. Although the app I was using has Amcrest as a preset. I can understand that trying to access the doorbell through a web UI could cause problems, and I definitely opened the Amcrest IP Config tool to try and find the IP address of the doorbell (I have 4 subnets, and thought it might have grabbed the wrong one). But I didn't "access" or log in to the doorbell in any way.

If copying and pasting the RTSP URL into VLC media player bricks the doorbell, then this thing is a real POS.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is not the using but making adjustments to the camera.. Some people didn't like the color and out side of the smart home app tried to change that and bricked it kind of thing... It is a good unit when it is used what it was meant to be used as... Sadly this is the first unit they came out with if they bring others then it could have upgrades just like the others that have had them out for a while.. The first one of theirs wasn't very choice from what I heard from a few that had to have it lol.. I almost did but waited and now happy to have the AD110...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
ckronengold

Post by ckronengold »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:47 pm It is not the using but making adjustments to the camera
Well then thats not what caused my issue. I have done absolutely nothing to any setting because i haven't been able to reach any setting to begin with.

Trying to discover a device on your network or access its stream shouldn't be bricking units.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

there is no need to use the ipconfig tool to look for the doorbell's ip address. the smart home app shows the ip address of the doorbell under device information. i have always relied on dhcp reservations on devices where i need to access via their ip addresses hence no guessing as i routinely swap out routers to rebuild their custom firmware.

accessing its rtsp stream with the vlc media player should not brick the doorbell but i recall rtsp steaming at night could trigger the night vision cycling if the doorbell is under powered. daytime is not an issue with rtsp.

the ad110 is not perfect but i think it's better than popular alternatives like ring or nest. the latest firmware update has cast a magenta hue on doorbell's picture even after a hard reset. picture now has more of magenta in it which i hope would be addressed in a future update. it's fair to say amcrest has not been proactive and forthcoming with support related communication but this forum has allowed members to come together to troubleshoot and figure things out. if your doorbell no longer respond to a hard reset, i think it's time for a rma.
ckronengold

Post by ckronengold »

amcrest168 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:30 am there is no need to use the ipconfig tool to look for the doorbell's ip address. the smart home app shows the ip address of the doorbell under device information. i have always relied on dhcp reservations on devices where i need to access via their ip addresses hence no guessing as i routinely swap out routers to rebuild their custom firmware.

If the smart home app displayed the IP address of an offline camera, I wouldn't have this issue.
doorbellapp2.png
doorbellapp2.png (133.37 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

there was a botched firmware rollout that resulted in the doorbell being disconnected from the smart home app even when the doorbell is online. like i said before, i have always relied on dhcp reservation hence all i had to do was to preform a hard reset and reconnect the doorbell back to the app. in the recent botched firmware rollout where my doorbell was showing offline in the smart home app, nvr recording and vlc media player rtsp streaming also worked fine. install your 16v 30va transformer first and see if anything changes. i have a feeling you might have bricked the doorbell because of the ipconfig tool.
ckronengold

Post by ckronengold »

Oddly, this morning the doorbell was flashing blue instead of solid blue. When I held the reset button for about 30 seconds, I got the "factory reset" message. After 2 more factory resets -- holding the reset button never gave the "wifi hotspot enabled" message -- I was able to set it back up.

Now to go change the transformer.
ckronengold

Post by ckronengold »

amcrest168 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:02 am i have always relied on dhcp reservation hence all i had to do was to preform a hard reset and reconnect the doorbell back to the app.
Were you assigning the reservation using the MAC address? I have reserved IP addresses for the rest of my devices, but I haven't gotten to the doorbell yet.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

yes dhcp reservations work off the mac id. sounds encouraging now. holding down the button will hard reset the device. pressing the button once shall enable the doorbell wifi hotspot.
e1ioan

Post by e1ioan »

ckronengold wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 am ... replying to @ckronengold
Just saw your private message and I swear I can't find the reply button :-) I'm guessing I don't have enough posts here for private messages? Anyway, I don't have any experience with the Amcrest Doorbell. IP Camera Viewer for Roku supports only mjpeg stream or jpeg sill images. If the doorbell camera doesn't provide mjpeg stream or snapshot images, then it won't work. RTSP in the application only works with jpeg encoded streams.

I saw in a earlier post that on this thread "/jpg/image.jpg" for still images. Try using that in the "Stream URL" in the application.

The only Amcrest camera I had for testing now it's off my network (look at my post history if you want to know why), but I might get a doorbell one just to test it with IP Camera Viewer for Roku.