POE Issue!

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Kev7274

POE Issue!

Post by Kev7274 »

I am having an issue with the 2 new POE cameras that I purchased and I need your guys input.

I am currently running 2 Hikvison 3mp cameras without any issues, Those cameras are connected to the POE switch by Cat6 cable. I purchased 2 Amcrest cameras and when I connect them to the same cables running the Hik cameras,then I don't get any video. Remember,the Hik cameras work fine with the cables.

If I take the Amcrest cameras inside and use different RJ45 cables that I had lying around and then connect them to the switch,then the cameras work.

So it appears that the cables aren't the issue. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks
Kev7274

Re: POE Issue!

Post by Kev7274 »

Well,I guess that the Hikvision Cams use T568B and Amcrest uses T568A protocol because I now have video after making an A cable.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear you are having some issues with a couple of Cameras. While I am not sure what model your working with so I can only offer some or very limited guesses....

1 How far is the Hikvision Cameras run on the Cat6?
2 Have you tried another Cat6 Cable from the Switch to the Amcrest?
3 last question because I assume that your Calling RJ45 was Cat5 or Cat5e cable
4 does your Switch offer NON poe ports? If so have you tried the HikVision Cat6 to the Amcrest over that cable with Amcrest own PSU?
5 When you connected to the switch with your other RJ45 cables did you try the same ports that the Hik was on? Or did you try different ports?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 »

I'm using IP8M-T2499EW Cameras.

After making a T568A cable,I am now getting video. I am wondering if maybe the connections that were made on T568B cable that isn't working are not making a good connection. Maybe good enough for the Hik Cam since they are 3mp but not good enough for the Amcrest which are 4K. Think I'm going to redo the ends to see what happens.

Yes,I tried different cables and different ports.
Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 »

Well,I'm going to just redo all the wires with T568B to see what happens. Seems Hikvision uses the T568A protocol so I'm going to just redo all the ends to get some uniformity. That will help keep me from missing a A and B protocol.
Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 »

Got a a chance to make new 568B cable and run it to the Amcrest camera straight form the POE injector,and all was good. When I used the jack in the wall with the same cable,then no video. Seems that their is some sort of issue there. No big deal since I'm going to replace it all anyways.
mromamcrest

Post by mromamcrest »

Kev7274,

In general 4K cameras inherently will put a strain on older cabling or technology like an older router. I recommend using Cat6 or above on 4k and anything above 4MP for the most part.

Out of curiosity, On the jack did you use the PoE injector there?

Depending on how the network drop was done it very well possible the jack is not PoE which would have caused the issue. Running a cable from the Jack to a PoE switch or injector, then to the camera should work as well.

Either way I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue but definitely interesting and provides me insight on providing customer more in-depth future recommendations for similar cases.
Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 »

I run Cat6 when I wired the house and the router is a year old.

I did run power from the injector to the jack that feeds the camera and that's when I don't get video. I made a T568B cable to see what happens and when I tested it,I wasn't getting any activity on pin #3 which is the green/wht wire. Not sure if it's the new connectors that I have never used or not. I have ordered my regular one and will use them when they arrive. I just don't think that the cable has went bad all of a sudden,but guess it could happen. In that case,I'll just run a new cable.

I'll update as soon as I find out the issue.
Kev7274

Post by Kev7274 »

Ok,after using the new Connectors,I was still getting an error on pin #3. I then decided to just get into the attic and trace the wire.

I discovered that some how or another the cable had a tear in the sheathing and I could see the broken wire. It could have been because a month or so back,I was in the attic and could have accidentally moved the cable and not known it and put it into a bad bend and over time the bend just caused the wire to break.

Anyways,I ran a new cable to replace the bad one and everything is up and running fine. That cable was terminated T568B.
mromamcrest

Post by mromamcrest »

Kev7274 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm Ok,after using the new Connectors,I was still getting an error on pin #3. I then decided to just get into the attic and trace the wire.

I discovered that some how or another the cable had a tear in the sheathing and I could see the broken wire. It could have been because a month or so back,I was in the attic and could have accidentally moved the cable and not known it and put it into a bad bend and over time the bend just caused the wire to break.

Anyways,I ran a new cable to replace the bad one and everything is up and running fine. That cable was terminated T568B.
Kev7274,

Thank you for the update and glad to hear the resolution.