Why would my email alerts stop working? I get alerts maybe once a week now...

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
taymag

Why would my email alerts stop working? I get alerts maybe once a week now...

Post by taymag »

My email alerts are basically 20+ emails per day from 3 cameras, out of no where I stopped getting all alerts, and I know the configuration is correct because I randomly will get emails once a week or so for a few hours.

Considering these are not located conveniently to run Ethernet to "reset" them since the setup doesn't always work wireless (not to mention its a complete pain), does anyone have any ideas to get these alerts working again?

Thanks
James.S

Re: Why would my email alerts stop working? I get alerts maybe once a week now...

Post by James.S »

What emails service are you using? Yahoo, Gmail or something else?
domoarigato

Re: Why would my email alerts stop working? I get alerts maybe once a week now...

Post by domoarigato »

This happened earlier to me, turns out google had an issue with their SMTP servers and had to change from SSL to TLS.. now its doing it again and I have no clue what to fix.

This is almost a monthly occurrence for me, such a pain.
taymag

Post by taymag »

domoarigato wrote:This happened earlier to me, turns out google had an issue with their SMTP servers and had to change from SSL to TLS.. now its doing it again and I have no clue what to fix.

This is almost a monthly occurrence for me, such a pain.
Ya, basically worthless without the alerts
taymag

Post by taymag »

James.s wrote:What emails service are you using? Yahoo, Gmail or something else?
I am using gmail
taymag

Post by taymag »

Ok guys (and girls), I figured out a "work around" for this, hopefully Amcrest can use this info and pass it on to phone support too since they do have a good product but semi-poor customer service as far as solutions go.

HERE IS THE FIX...
You can still get Gmail alerts, you just need to have a different email to send from, so setup a yahoo account and put the info (username: yahoo [email protected] - Password - Sender: [email protected]) -- You keep your same gmail email in the recipients field and you will receive emails just as you did before.
James.S

Post by James.S »

taymag wrote:Ok guys (and girls), I figured out a "work around" for this, hopefully Amcrest can use this info and pass it on to phone support too since they do have a good product but semi-poor customer service as far as solutions go.

HERE IS THE FIX...
You can still get Gmail alerts, you just need to have a different email to send from, so setup a yahoo account and put the info (username: yahoo [email protected] - Password - Sender: [email protected]) -- You keep your same gmail email in the recipients field and you will receive emails just as you did before.

This is great info, I will go ahead and send this information immediately to our support team and R&D team.
domoarigato

Post by domoarigato »

taymag wrote:Ok guys (and girls), I figured out a "work around" for this, hopefully Amcrest can use this info and pass it on to phone support too since they do have a good product but semi-poor customer service as far as solutions go.

HERE IS THE FIX...
Just tried this but still no go... does yahoo need to have some setting for "less secure" apps enabled?

I think its so sad amcrest cant even fix their own products and they have to rely on its own userbase to do so.

I will be searching for another brand ASAP.
PCFX

Post by PCFX »

HERE IS THE FIX...
I've gotten this to work by using a hosted email account but it's not really a fix for something that should be so simple and doesn't seem to affect any other brands of cameras. It's also pretty sad that the one response to this issue from Someone at Amcrest was that they'll pass on this "fix" to their teams to tell their customers.