setup email

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
bennor

Re: setup email

Post by bennor »

Couple of suggestions for those having trouble.

Some ISP/Broadband providers may be blocking outgoing email connections to locations other than their email servers. Rare but its been known to happen in the past. So check with your broadband provider to ensure that they're not blocking outbound email to alternate email providers. Next, some email provider systems require one to check for emails before sending emails, as such if your only sending that presents a problem as the email configuration on the DVR doesn't offer the option to check email prior to sending. Try using an alternate email system/service if possible.

Note that sometimes one has configure the TCP/IP Gateway and Preferred DNS setting in the DVR to their broadband router/gateway and not to a public DNS server. For example if one's local network gateway IP address is 192.168.0.1 then one sets the DVR TCP/IP Gateway field to 192.168.0.1 and the DVR TCP/IP Preferred DNS field to 192.168.0.1. The DVR's TCP/IP Alternate DNS field can be set to a public DNS like Google's, 8.8.8.8.

One way to test, if using Gmail, is to have the DVR send the mail to the Gmail account. As was indicated above when using Gmail one has to go through the settings to configure the Gmail account to 'allow less secure apps' . See this link for more information on how to change that setting: https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en Next, make sure the Use Name is the same name used in the email address for the Sender field. For example if the User Name is 'JohnSmith' then make sure the Sender is the same '[email protected]'. Far too often people use the full email address in the User Name field or the wrong email address in the Sender field which causes errors. Lastly make sure you use properly formatted email addresses in the receiver field. Below is a screen cap of what is working on a DVR I setup for a family member. We have the emails being sent from then to (i.e., the Sender and Receiver fields use the same identical email address) the same Gmail account where filter rules then forward on certain emails to other people as way to cut down the amount of motion detection notifications one receives.
Attachments
DVR Email Setting for Gmail
DVR Email Setting for Gmail
dvrgmailsettings.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
BZCheeto

Post by BZCheeto »

Thank you Bennor,

Your instructions are really, really good. I will give it a try tomorrow after work and post back my findings....

Thank you for taking the time to post :)

Cheeto
BZCheeto

Post by BZCheeto »

Well, despite seeing the "test successful" message when I set up email, I am still not getting any email. :(
bennor

Post by bennor »

BZCheeto wrote:Well, despite seeing the "test successful" message when I set up email, I am still not getting any email. :(
That's strange. From what I understand the "test successful" message indicates an email message was sent..... somewhere. Double check the recipient email address to ensure its correct. Then check that recipiants email box including spam and bulk mail folders (or any bulk/spam rules) to see if its been blocked or routed elsewhere. Edit: Also check the sender email account's sent folder/box as well. It should, at least the Gmail account I use, save a copy of the sent email test message.

For the DVR I setup it sends out test email like this, I had the test email sent to the same account used to send it:

To: [email protected]
Subject: HCVR ALERT
Body: Alarm event: Mail Test
Alarm start time(D/M/Y H:M:S): 5/10/2015 9:42:34 Alarm device name: HCVR Sender IP address: 192.168.1.xx
Damerito

Post by Damerito »

Hi people! I follow all this step:
https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 0P-HD-CVI-

But the message is the same: "Mail Test Error"

Then I receive this email from Gmail:

Sign-in attempt prevented
Hi Daniel,
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account [email protected] from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
Details:
Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:08 AM (Eastern Standard Time)
Maryland, USA*
We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable. Learn more.

Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:

REVIEW YOUR DEVICES NOW
Best,
The Google Accounts team

Any suggestions? Thanks
pkerbage

Post by pkerbage »

For those who would prefer to use hotmail aka outlook.com, this setting worked for me.
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Port: 587
Login anonymously NOT checked
User name: your hotmail Email address example [email protected]
Your password for Hotmail
Sender should be the SAME as your user name so (in this example) [email protected]
Authentication: TLS
The recipient should also be the same as your username: [email protected]

Worked from the first try! Outlook.com has a great interface and integrates directly with Microsoft Outlook 2016 and older.
Gmail gave me fits (and would work at times and then NOT work).
Jjonas

Post by Jjonas »

I am also have problems with the email setup. I have placed all of the necessary information into the email setup, and I keep getting the mail test error. Help please. I am using gmail. I have also allowed for less secure apps, etc. What am I missing?
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello Jjonas,

Could you please call our support team? We might need to look into those settings for you.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us