Motion Detection Playback is Choppy

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
mupimohan

Re: Motion Detection Playback is Choppy

Post by mupimohan »

I have the same issue. Choppiness when recording to SD and also live streaming. Looks like even after 2 years there is no resolution. I see a lot of issues with Amcrest cameras like failing to connect, black screen etc but there is never a solution.

I have the IP3M-841B. It was working just fine and all of a sudden this choppiness started. The support guy is most likely going to put the blame on the SD card. Well if there is choppiness both on SD recording and live streaming, it can neither be the SD card issue or wi-fi issue. It is the darn camera which always has some problem or the other.

Using a low res or low fps or low bit rate has been the only solution offered for any problem and that is not acceptable. Why offer 1080p at 30 fps or 3MP at 20 fps if they dont work.

I just returned the camera. I had ordered another one for another area. It hasnt arrived yet. Most likely that will also go back. I will look at other brands.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

BTW the guy says in one of the posts that it is a network issue. But recording to the SD card does not use the network. It is all within the camera. If I am not doing the live streaming and if the camera is only recording any motion event to the SD card, how cant it be a network issue?

If it is also happening during live, it cant be the SD card issue either. If many people are having the same issue, logic tells me that it is a problem with the camera.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

Well I sent an email to tech support and guess what the only solution they have for any problem is to blame it on the network.

I said the video freezes both on the SD card and live stream. Then he says it should be the network issue.

May I ask why the SD card is using the network to record? Everything it needs it either on the camera or in front of the camera.

Getting it replaced is not going to solve the issue either. The main idea of putting a security camera is to record the event. What good will happen if I get a replacement. The new camera will also work ok for a month or so and develop the same issue as this seems to be an inherant issue with their camera, at least the 841/941 series.

If you have noticed, there are a lot of posts like this that just end without any resolution. Amcrest needs to take these feedback seriously and fix the issue with their camera.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

You say it has nothing to do with your network, how are you viewing playback? Surely the data is being transferred over a network whether ethernet or wi-fi.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

The video that was recorded on the SD card was downloaded to the PC and viewed using media player. The network was not involved in the recording to the SD card. Whatever the camera needs to record on the SD card is either on the camera (hardware/software) or in front of the camera (event). What resource on the network is the camera using to record to the SD card? Sure the network was involved, but only later.

If the videos are getting corrupted during downloading or viewing using the media player, then all other videos on my PC that I have downloaded and viewed on the media player that were not recorded by this camera should also have become choppy/corrupted. That is not the case.

Only the videos recorded by this camera to the SD card are choppy. The live streaming from the camera when I have turned off recording to the SD card is also choppy. That is why I suspect that there is an issue with the camera. I even dumbed down to 720p at 10fps. Still choppy. Please dont ask me to use the sub stream at 640x480.

I know the only solution that is offered is to return the camera and get a refund or replacement, other than doing a factory reset. Will see how the replacement works. Doing a factory reset every few days cant be the only way to keep a security camera reliable. If it fails when I am away from home or during an event for which it was intended to be used, than what good is a securoty camera.

The main reason I bought a high res camera with a SD card was to record high res videos on the SD card as it is not practical to record high res video on the cloud due to the bandwidth issues when using w-fi or wired connection. But if recording on the SD card isnt working, what is the use of a high res camera with a SD card?
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

These are the standard answers no matter what the issue is

1) Network problem
2) Dumb down the resolution to 720p
3) Do a factory reset

1) is like a panacea for all camera issues. 2) and 3) are not acceptable solutions when you are away from home and expect the camera to be doing the job.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

I have the new camera IP3M-HX2W on the same network, same place using the same SD card. So far it is fine. Will keep my fingers crossed. It is possible that the IP3M-841/941 series has some issues. I returned the IP3M-941B. I may not get a refund as it was more than 30 days.

I dont like the HX2W. The wide angle 140 is just too wide and so the objects in the image are a lot smaller as it covers more area. The image is also not as sharp as the 941. At least it is working so far.

I have also ordered a new IP3M-941W. If these 2 cameras also start to fail, thats it. They will be sent back and I will never use Amcrest again.

I have the Amazon cloud cam and it has been working flawlessly for some 40 days. Just plug and play. Yeah the image quality is not great as Amazon seems to do a lot of compression so that the cloud storage and retrieval is very fast. But at least it works. I wish it had a SD card option and other picture settings. May be it works flawlessly mainly because it is a "plain vanilla" camera. Again, it works and that is what we all want from a security camera. Who wants to constantly factory reset a security camera.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

BTW I have asked support several times how I can send them the video that is too big to email. They have not given an answer. They just dont want to solve a problem. They will suggest those 3 useless solutions mentioned above or the other option is to return the camera. If it is an inherent issue with these models (841/941) they will never get fixed if they dont debug the issue.
sleepybear

Post by sleepybear »

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue as the poster, and I have six 4k resolution cameras and when I playback via the NVR 4108 it will always be choppy. If I stop the video, click play again, it may get through a SINGLE motion detection clip before getting choppy again on all subsequent clip recordings. Is there any fix to this?
sleepybear

Post by sleepybear »

I am having the same issue as the poster, and I have six amcrest 4k resolution cameras and when I playback via the NVR 4108 it will always be choppy. If I stop the video, click play again, it may get through a SINGLE motion detection clip before getting choppy again on all subsequent clip recordings. Is there any fix to this?