My mistake! NV4108E-HS snafu to avoid

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Polarbear34

My mistake! NV4108E-HS snafu to avoid

Post by Polarbear34 »

Hello there.

When I was first using the Wizard to set up my NVR, I inadvertently configured a screen resolution that is too high. Immediately upon selection, the device reset the resolution and my HDMI connected computer monitor is no longer capable of showing the screen for the Amcrest NVR.

I am going to call customer support during business hours to see how to reset my NVR to the original factory setting.
When I opened up this Amcrest NV4108E-HS, I noticed that:

* there was never a factory reset button installed (I can see where it would go, though)
* using the J1 reset holes on the motherboard did not create a factory reset that would fix my resolution issue either.

I just want to go back to the default resolution, and short of figuring out how to create a hard factory reset, and I'm out of known options.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: My mistake! NV4108E-HS snafu to avoid

Post by Revo2Maxx »

First Hello and Welcome to the forum

So what you will want to do is figure out what your NVR's IP is if you didn't set it as Static in the Setup before changing the Res.. Once you have that you will want to Log into the NVR using that IP. Then I am going to guess that you didn't change FW, So it will be little different maybe however what your looking for is Settings, Might to at the top right with Gear looking Icon. Then click General, Display. In there you will be able to change it back to where you need to be. Normally that is like 1280x1024 or maybe if your using a TV 1080 is good..
Screenshot (1781).png
Screenshot (1781).png (62.41 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

jack7 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:21 pm Another potential way:
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... wn%20below.
Should work and on some Machines it might, I also have told people in the Forum to use this method however as you can see in the picture above, When you setup the machine the setting for display is HDMI+VGA and that means it would need to be connected to a Display of the size he set for it to work. This leaves 2 ways to fix. Reset the machine or Connect VIA WebUI

Opps LOL.. Wrong button Sorry. Fixed now

Also good news is it wasn't a FUBAR
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't out of my mind as I have so many different machines and as I said before some will work and other won't I setup my 4116E-HS that is the same as the OP listed hardware in Theory and setup for 3840x2160 and connected it to a Auto adjust Monitor that goes up to 1080p on DSUB and sure enough it gives me a out of range message.
20220117_015145.jpg
20220117_015145.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 903 times
Be Safe
Polarbear34

Post by Polarbear34 »

Hey, when I get home I will connect the NVR to my computer with an ethernet cable and attempt to login to the NVR with it's IP. From there, I'll try to access the menu where I can change the resolution back to the default for HDMI.
That Out of Range indicator looks very familiar, as one of my monitors shows me that and another shows a box that explains I need to change my input.

Thank you for the help.

P.S. On a side note, this model does NOT have a reset button installed on the motherboard, like other models. I went down the YouTube rabbit hole, and learned way more than I ever wanted to about NVRs. I can see the location where the reset button should go, but it was never soldered on. I also learned about the baby reset possibility on the board, the J1 square you can tap with tweezers while unplugging and re-plugging to hard reset.

-Mark :D
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I have to say that your not missing much. In truth my 4116E-hS does have a Reset and I thought I was locked out of my NVR forever. My NVR is older I am going to guess 2017 early version of the hardware. My Reset don't work. Tried for a Month in every Combo out there. I will admit my 2116-HS that I gave away in Dec to a passing Forum member, on first try the reset didn't want to work with that. After a good few Resets it started to work very well. 15 second pressing before turning off didnt' have to do anymore. Just pressing the button and restoring power now will reset that NVR.. 4116E-HS button there no good. Removing the Battery (Don't do it lol Didn't help only reset NVR to 2000 lol. SO don't do it lol) Also without having good Soldering hardware it isn't an easy task anyway lol.. Then for some reason my Email that I have or had setup on the NVR was to my own Private Domain and Seeing I don't have my systems connected to Internet for Open Port Views not a worry. However for some reason my email didn't work. If I send from my Server I don't get a Reply from the Reset server or the code. However sending from gmail or msn I get a reply on my msn or gmail, that they will send the code to my personal server yet get nothing; and again thought my nvr was forever lost. As a last try that I just came to on my own I used the DMSS app from Dahua and scanned my Code and was sent the email to my server. I was about ready to just call it a parts NVR for backup parts not that I would ever need them lol..

So if the NVR is new to you, Word of caution, don't give password out, or share your pattern with anyone you don't want to own your NVR Lol Someone upset and want to render your NVR useless only needs to by use of pattern make changes freely able to within the nvr that could render your system a paper weight.
Be Safe
Polarbear34

Post by Polarbear34 »

Well folks, using an old VGA cord to reset the default resolution did NOT do the trick.

And I am far away from my router, so I need a second 50ft ethernet cord to connect BOTH my Amcrest NVR ...and my computer up at the same time on network maybe then the Amcrest Config App can work by finding the NVR on my network. Honestly, I feel like I just don't know enough about discovering IP addresses and finding them on my network.

I can connect the NVR via ethernet cable, and my computer is connected to the router with wifi, but I cannot for the life me "discover" the NVR this way.

I feel like I'm getting my ass kicked by this stubborn NVR.
Polarbear34

Post by Polarbear34 »

I also learned about packet identification because of this. I downloaded Wireshark and found my NVR's static IP (10.0.0.20) that is talking to my computer.
I also can see the NVR using the Amcrest Config app now. The bummer is, I even tried setting up the TCP/IP4 to accommodate the 10.0.0.20 but I still couldn't get to the NVR menu through my computer.

I wish someone who knew more was sitting here, showing me what I am missing.

I have a note in the Amcrest Config app that says "the device and the pc are not in the same segment or the port is wrong" next to my Amcrest's information. When I click to modify the IP, it fails.

What should I do now? I am about to get a 50ft ethernet cord to plug my computer and my nvr into the router at the same time and see if that helps.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So this is the fastest way to do it Windows 10

On Keyboard Press Windows Key and R then type in cmd press enter

netsh interface ip set address name= "Network Interface Name" static [IP address] [Subnet Mask] [Gateway]

so for me it would look like this

netsh interface ip set address name= "Ethernet" static 10.0.0.119 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1

If you are not running as ADMIN you will be told to. Now just so you know if your system is setup with wifi and your trying to connect via wifi then your "Ethernet" would need to reflect your connection type.

ALSO it might be that you just need to turn off your Wifi if your trying to connect on a wire connection seeing the Straight connection to camera will not have internet access..

Also NOTE that if you have a setup like I do with many different IP ranges in it running that command will make your connection 1 IP as stated above.
Be Safe