Threshold and Sensitivity Settings

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
johnnyv

Threshold and Sensitivity Settings

Post by johnnyv »

Has anyone found a good combination of Threshold and Sensitivity settings for outdoor cameras that will reduce alerts for changes in sunlight, but still trigger alerts for people walking by the camera?
erac6329

Re: Threshold and Sensitivity Settings

Post by erac6329 »

Anybody??? There's no way I could turn on alerts right now. The motion sensor goes off when the wind blows the tree leaves, a bug flies across the screen, etc.
xcrazydx

Post by xcrazydx »

It depends on where your cameras are located. You can also set the area in which motion will trigger. That is very helpful instead of using the whole area. And i also use the regions because I want some areas more sensitive than others. No zone is going to be the same so spitting out numbers isn't really going to help you. But in areas where there is a lot of light changes and wind I have sensitivity around 70 and threshold around 10. You'll still get false alarms but not constantly. You just have to play with the settings and most importantly the area in which motion is active.
johnnyv

Post by johnnyv »

The DVR firmware on the 720p system that I have doesn't seem to respect the regions that I have set up. Motion outside the region still triggers a motion event. I am fairly happy with the settings I have right now expect for on cloudy days. Those days are full of false alarms, but what can you do? Blue Iris was just much better about differentiating between changes in sunlight and actual motion.
xcrazydx

Post by xcrazydx »

It's definitely flaky but it gets rid of most of the false alarms. I just wish remote viewing would work
YankeesNYR

Post by YankeesNYR »

johnnyv wrote:Has anyone found a good combination of Threshold and Sensitivity settings for outdoor cameras that will reduce alerts for changes in sunlight, but still trigger alerts for people walking by the camera?
Did you find perfect settings? I'm having exact issues you had...
R0tten

Post by R0tten »

YankeesNYR wrote:
johnnyv wrote:Has anyone found a good combination of Threshold and Sensitivity settings for outdoor cameras that will reduce alerts for changes in sunlight, but still trigger alerts for people walking by the camera?
Did you find perfect settings? I'm having exact issues you had...
I start my camera's off at 50 sens. and 17 thresh.. Seriously all scenes are 100% different. But, that's where I start.
Robert_B_2

Post by Robert_B_2 »

I have stopped trying to optimize motion detection performance any further. I have narrowed the detection region to cover a small area of interest and set sens/thres @ 90/5 in order to detect accurately in daylight. At night, the flying insects detection results in near continuous recording.
martin777

Post by martin777 »

I just select 1 "square", about a square foot zoomed in, and use 95/2.
Looking for varmints day/night.
Have you played with the anti-dither settings on your recording?
My motion detect recording is set for 10s and anti-dithering 20s.
I also have a flying insect, wind etc. problem but anti-dithering will
help prevent multiple alarms while recording an event.
IP2M-842E,848E,853E,858W (all PoE), 3-841W's WiFi
shaunmurray

Post by shaunmurray »

Disable the IR and use a remote IR light source. The flies will be drawn to that source vs the camera - reducing the fly type of alerts.