Setting up FTP - FTP server test failure, user read only right

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
sfrancis

Setting up FTP - FTP server test failure, user read only right

Post by sfrancis »

I'm attempting to set up FTP upload to my Ubuntu box. FTP is fully enabled and I can manually log in. When I use the FTP settings in the web page, I'm getting the error:

FTP server test failure, user read only right.

However when I look in the remote directory it has created two directories:
AMC000A6_C26925
FTP_TEST

I opened up permissions in these files in order to see if it made a difference but it has not, the error is still persisting on every test. Is this a bogus error message as obviously directories are able to be written.
kast

Re: Setting up FTP - FTP server test failure, user read only right

Post by kast »

were you able to resolve this?
graves14

Post by graves14 »

I use the ftp option, and the test always fails for me. But the ftp upload works just fine. Seems like a false error.
enamtvedt

Post by enamtvedt »

AMCREST FIX THIS! - You have failed us! This stuff has been around since the 70s... I want this fixed - or I want my money back! I've spent hours trying to solve this on multiple products from you.
Rhogue

Post by Rhogue »

The answer to this is actually quite simple, and you have 1 of 2 options;

1) Disable your firewall:

If you review Amcrest's YouTube video on the matter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf3spBtTImA), it's part of their method for setting up the FTP.

If you're like me; this is not an option.

2) The problem is the ports that the firewall is blocking, however with a passive FTP, it uses any number of ports (hence why Amcrest advised to simply disable it, as it's not static by default). I've read online someone talking about opening up ports 50000-55000 to help open up the "implicit" FTPS ports, which in my case worked partly (the images/video didn't fully transfer properly, being cut off and the video skipped seconds entirely from one frame to the next). After doing a bit more reading, I checked the settings within FileZilla myself, and noticed something really nice: passive mode settings.

Under this setting for the server you can assign what range of ports the FTPS should use, and hence all you have to do is open those ports (I've read that 50 ports are sufficient). So after you assign the range, open those ports in your firewall (along with 20-21 if you're using the default explicit port), and it should work perfectly without a hitch.
fortis

Post by fortis »

Disable firewalls and test regular connections
scottsen11

Post by scottsen11 »

It appears the resolution to my problem on THIS camera was for me to put \ in the Upload Folder location instead of the specific folder location, which in my case was E:\Camera.

Settings:

FTP Server: My internal IP address 10.x.x.x
FTP Port: 21
FTP User: My user name (this is the user name that I use to log into my PC)
FTP Password: My PC Password
FTP Upload Folder: \
FTP Mode: Port

Now before I tried to configure the FTP option within the Foscam Application I had to setup a local FTP Site on my local computer. This was done as following this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrzNPq-B6Ts

The only issue I had with the video was during the section on editing permissions. I could not remove the other users that were listed, but this did not prevent me from accessing the folder. The other thing you want to make sure is that Your User name as Full Control of the FTP folder in question.
timbrin

Post by timbrin »

If anyone is still having issues uploading their vids and jpgs via ftp I seem to have solved it.
FTP upload failed and I rarely received any images attached to the emails although the paid Amcrest cloud worked fine.
I swapped my router from an Asus to an old TP-Link and guess what? Everything started working perfectly.
I'm guessing something on the Asus router was blocking the upload.
I still get an error when I click the Test FTP button so as someone said already its a false error.
Hope this gives you some clues to get it working.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah sadly I have a dozen Routers trying to find one that works happy with my Wifi Cameras sadly so far non want to work I even have many Game Routers Gigabit routers long range routers and either they work well for a few days and I have to restart the router or just don't want to work at all lol.... So for now only have 3 Wifi cameras on Wifi only because no Eth0 cable there or lack of recording medium other then the MSD so it don't matter. Sadly even my Nighthawk router don't want to work well enough to make me happy. Have a few Tp-Link routers in my mix nice for the features they offer just not enough memory or CPU speed in them over my Netgear ones.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
usamahateeq

Post by usamahateeq »

Hi,
Im using a Dahua Camera model number IPC-HDW2230T-AS-S2. Im using vsftpd configured for SFTP. It works when i use FTP. But on SFTP it gives me SFTP server test failure, user read only right.. Following the previous instructions.
I have turned off firewall to see whether it works or not. It didnt work.
I have allowed the 50000-55000 range of ports allowed and it still didnt work.

What SFTP servers does dahua support. Can you help me with this ?